Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 10:03 AM

290 posts, read 388,627 times

Advertisements

Dear Ladies (and interested guys),

As I'm sure many of you are aware, hair removal is generally considered very important in the West.
The bikini line, in particular, is why I have brought you all together and hopefully you'll be be able to help me and maybe the few other women who, like me, are stuck.

Waxing in great. I love it. However, this seems to result in ingrowing hairs.
Shaving is easy. However, this tends to result in little red, and rather unattractive, spots. I've tried the different procedures (wear a long t-shirt or skirt to let the area 'air', use sharp blades/use a razor only once, use a good lubricant, etc.) with little success. I've also tried using electric razors: the shave wasn't as close and the spots returned.
Hair removal creams are handy and smell nice. However, a lot is required and not all hair is removed.

Does anyone have any advice or any ideas as to how I can solve this problem? Where I live there is little sun - when our one Beach Day arrives I'd actually like to feel relaxed in a bathing suit without feeling the need to wrap my bottom half up in a huge, thick towel to avoid uncomfortable stares!

Thank you SO much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 01:53 PM

77 posts, read 696,763 times
Have you tried laser hair removal? It works great for me and if you shop around, you can find places that won't break the bank. Especially if you're looking to remove hair in smaller areas (as opposed to your legs, etc.)

Old 03-06-2011, 02:03 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
You use a loofah or buff puff on the area before you wax.

That helps.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
You use a loofah or buff puff on the area before you wax.

That helps.
Yes I've tried things like that and while it helps a little I still end up with ingrowing hairs

Old 03-06-2011, 06:10 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
There is a product called Tend Skin, that you can buy at some beauty salons. You can also google it and buy it online. The ingredients are pretty simple - I think the active ingredient is salacylic acid (the same thing aspirin is made from) in a rubbing alcohol base. The combination of ingredients results in NO STINGING when you use it...and it's pretty helpful in preventing razor stubble/bumps, and ingrown hairs.

For the bikini area you'd use a cotton swab and "draw" the stuff gently over the area immediately after shaving. I am not sure how you'd apply it after waxing - if you'd use the numbing cream first, or after. There's probably details on the website though.

I was introduced to this stuff around 10 years ago; a little goes a long way so a bottle can easily last a year - and it's very inexpensive.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:42 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
I will say that I shave everyday and while I used to get those red bumps, I don't anymore.

I'm looking into laser removal though...I'd love something permanent.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
There is a product called Tend Skin, that you can buy at some beauty salons. You can also google it and buy it online. The ingredients are pretty simple - I think the active ingredient is salacylic acid (the same thing aspirin is made from) in a rubbing alcohol base. The combination of ingredients results in NO STINGING when you use it...and it's pretty helpful in preventing razor stubble/bumps, and ingrown hairs.

For the bikini area you'd use a cotton swab and "draw" the stuff gently over the area immediately after shaving. I am not sure how you'd apply it after waxing - if you'd use the numbing cream first, or after. There's probably details on the website though.

I was introduced to this stuff around 10 years ago; a little goes a long way so a bottle can easily last a year - and it's very inexpensive.
Ooo this sounds interesting! I'll look it up Thanks!!

Old 03-07-2011, 11:02 AM

23 posts, read 39,557 times
as for me waxing gives the less of damaged red skin, ingrown hair..
just i talk about waxing only with hard wax.. in general its the most right way for bikini place.
as i know my cosmetic master use italian choco hard wax. 2 days after waxing i use scrab on this part of body woth loofah. also can use sugar scrab or coffee scrab, then just lotion..
if i see with time some thin hair under skin, i just take it out with tweezers..

also i had example of Skin Doctors Ingrow Go. i liked it much and i heared many good comments of girls. just it was hard to find in my country.
i can give link here where u can buy it, if its not forbidden to post link here..

Last edited by Muffin02090; 03-07-2011 at 11:13 AM..

Old 03-07-2011, 01:49 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
I shave too...just can't stand the "growing in" process between waxings! Used to get bumps...but I don't get them anymore, either....I think your skin will "toughen up" if you keep on shaving. I do NOT use a new blade everytime....too expensive!!! I use soap (Camay, lathers great!), not shave creams or gels...works for me!

Old 03-08-2011, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
I shave too...just can't stand the "growing in" process between waxings! Used to get bumps...but I don't get them anymore, either....I think your skin will "toughen up" if you keep on shaving. I do NOT use a new blade everytime....too expensive!!! I use soap (Camay, lathers great!), not shave creams or gels...works for me!
Yeah maybe you're right about the toughening up thing. Maybe the skin is just too sensitive/delicate - because the same treatment to legs and arms seems to be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty