Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 11:34 PM

476 posts, read 1,135,236 times

Advertisements

I am bad at dressing myself.

I don't care to pour energy into style every day....but I like to look put together. I was scrolling through this thread: Do you organize your closet by color
And I thought....I organize my closet on my laptop.

A simple example...couple weeks ago I bought a green sweater, took 10 minutes and made ~15 pairings from my closet. I do this with every piece I own (no accessories) because:
- Saves me a ton of time getting dressed.... I flip open my laptop, scroll and pick something. My boyfriend never has to wait on me.
- Got me past that "throw on whatever's clean" college phase.
- Once I decide a skirt and top match...I wear 'em together Every. Single. Time. A lookbook is diversification for the lazy or inept.
- Saves me from impulse buys. (I can access the photos from my phone.)
- I can actually see what's in my closet, without cleaning it out. I can easily track what I'm not wearing & donate it.

This is what works for me. Makes me feel like I have "a lot" of clothes/choices without being a clotheshorse. Forces me to make full use of my wardrobe. Curious if others do this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 11:47 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,413,475 times
well how do you get all your clothes into a lookbook on your laptop? do you know how much clothes I have and how many days it would take to upload everything I own on there?? haha

Old 04-11-2011, 01:14 AM

476 posts, read 1,135,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
well how do you get all your clothes into a lookbook on your laptop? do you know how much clothes I have and how many days it would take to upload everything I own on there?? haha
Ya gotta start somewhere. Start with a season, 20 min a week. By summer's end, you'd be done.
Might not work for a fashionista...they thrive on that extra half hour, trying on 3 different blouses in the morning.

I don't own tons of clothes... but I never, ever say, "I don't have A Thing to wear." My little system reminds me less can be more.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyweight View Post
Ya gotta start somewhere. Start with a season, 20 min a week. By summer's end, you'd be done.
Might not work for a fashionista...they thrive on that extra half hour, trying on 3 different blouses in the morning.

I don't own tons of clothes... but I never, ever say, "I don't have A Thing to wear." My little system reminds me less can be more.
ya but that also involves taking pictures of every last thing I own and then uploading it..that's a TON of work!

Old 04-11-2011, 01:28 PM

19,430 posts, read 15,259,370 times
Ha, does this remind anyone else of Cher, Alicia Silverstone's character, in "Clueless"?

To answer the OP, I can be pretty organized sometimes, but no, I don't do this. Sounds like it's working for you, though.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Ha, does this remind anyone else of Cher, Alicia Silverstone's character, in "Clueless"?

To answer the OP, I can be pretty organized sometimes, but no, I don't do this. Sounds like it's working for you, though.
I thought it sounded familiar! I love that movie!

Old 04-11-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
I thought it sounded familiar! I love that movie!
"As if!"

Old 04-11-2011, 02:21 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,287,184 times
When I had my bigger closet I used to pull items for the week & hang them in the extra space. That worked especially well for work.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
When I had my bigger closet I used to pull items for the week & hang them in the extra space. That worked especially well for work.
I could see doing that, sometimes anyway. Just laying out clothes the night before is a big help.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:21 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,080,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
I do that for my 2 younger kids (used to do it for all of them but my 10 and 11yr old know how to match clothes now...lol). I pick out 5 outfits on Sunday and put them in a sweater stacker that you hang in the closet.

They still have choice, but I know it fits, matches and is weather appropriate. By Friday, there is no choice left and they have to wear what is left.

The online thing wouldn't work for me because I actually have to put something on my body to decide if I am in the mood to wear it.

Some mornings it takes me a few outfits before I decide "this is it"...
what's sad is I'm no fashionista. Today is a white V-neck, khaki capris and flip flops...I just didn't feel good in the dress or skirt I tried on before this outfit, even if I've worn them and liked them before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty