Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 01:23 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,605,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
She emailed me earlier and asked what my bra size is. I really don't know how to respond to that...it's really not her business. Anyway.
There are websites that teach how to properly measure for a bra, in addition to stores that have fitters in their bra department, because she may be on a tight budget and/or feels intimidated going to stores that are large enough to have a fitter.

If you really want to be helpful, offer to go with her to whatever local WalMart or KMart or Target (or wherever she typically shops) to pick out the right size bra.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 01:32 PM

16,905 posts, read 16,130,561 times
Geez, people....ditch the bra shopping and get over it. Someone has threads on an internet forum about her just because somebody doesn't approve of the way she looks on top..........!
Lord......

Old 08-04-2011, 01:37 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Some women just gain a lot of weight when they have their kids, and then they don't know where to find clothes that fit. I have a neighbor who wears her clothes way too tight and too short. She and I are both plus-sized, but I dress to conceal rather than reveal my figure flaws. I thought she was doing it for attention, but she just doesn't know where to get clothes. She's wearing maternity jeans that her husband buys her at Goodwill even though she hasn't been pregnant for two years, and the store she buys her clothes at doesn't carry clothes bigger than a 24, so she just squeezes herself into them, and the end result is that she looks like she's bursting out of her clothes. She hasn't thought of looking for clothes at Lane Bryant or Avenue because those are the plus-size stores and she's "just carrying a little extra baby weight."

Avenue has the best bras for huge boobs. A good-fitting bra is a big boost to the self-esteem too.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:41 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post

If you really want to be helpful, offer to go with her to whatever local WalMart or KMart or Target (or wherever she typically shops) to pick out the right size bra.
Depending on how big she is, she won't find a bra at Target. WalMart has the terrible box bras in bigger sizes, but there's no quicker way to crush your twins and make them sag halfway to your waist than to cram them into one of those box bras, even when you have measured properly and know what size you need. You really need underwires for larger breasts...underwires and molded cups work the best.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:41 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Thats Texas for you.
Dude take it easy. I'm from Texas and I've never dressed this way. Woah cowboy. Not all Texas chica's are trashy trampola's.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:43 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Depending on how big she is, she won't find a bra at Target. WalMart has the terrible box bras in bigger sizes, but there's no quicker way to crush your twins and make them sag halfway to your waist than to cram them into one of those box bras, even when you have measured properly and know what size you need. You really need underwires for larger breasts...underwires and molded cups work the best.
Wiser words were never spoken. I'm no fattie but my girls are DD's and without a proper bra fitting ( by someone who really knows what they are doing ) every other year or so my back and shoulders are a wreck.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:37 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,066,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
You judge people's value and quality by their physical features. That is a character flaw.
Best post of the day ^.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:10 PM

992 posts, read 2,373,405 times
Taking her to get measured next week. Apparently her daughter said something about being embarassed by her. That sucks for her, but hopefully she can get some comfort.

BTW, I never judged her character...she's pretty nice, a little loud and crass, but not a bad person...the dress was offensive but not a clear indication of who she is. Leave it to our kids to be brutally honest with us!

Old 08-04-2011, 04:50 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
Haa haa. Aww...thats nice she is making an effort.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:04 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
Taking her to get measured next week. Apparently her daughter said something about being embarassed by her. That sucks for her, but hopefully she can get some comfort.

BTW, I never judged her character...she's pretty nice, a little loud and crass, but not a bad person...the dress was offensive but not a clear indication of who she is. Leave it to our kids to be brutally honest with us!
Obviously she views you as a respectable example of how to dress and is seeking your guidance. Take her to a higher end store (Nordies) to be properly and professionally fitted. There is absolutely no substitute for proper undergarments. Then she can take that knowledge about her correct sizing to less expensive stores like Macy's and get in on a buy 2 get 1 free type sale when they come around.

Bra-Fitting Tips - Oprah.com

O's Bra Intervention - Oprah.com

Also, maybe guide her toward a few essential wardrobe staples that every woman of any size must have: a basic black dress (classic cut/shape, quality fabric), a basic everyday DVF-style wrap dress, a flattering pair of jeans in a darker wash, and a class white shirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty