Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 09:48 PM

689 posts, read 2,059,107 times

Advertisements

The last few pairs of jeans I've bought have shallow front pockets. I carry money in my pockets instead of my purse and I've had to shift the bills to my back pockets to keep them from falling out.

Today I did a little test while shopping. Checked out the pockets in some men's and women's jeans of various brands. The men's pockets are all still deep, like the women's jeans I could buy ten years ago.

I'm sure it's a way for the manufacturer to save a few cents on each pair, but I don't like it. Are there any brands that still have deep pockets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 12:28 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,889,091 times
All my jeans pockets have been like that recently, about an inch and a half deep. I assumed it was because I was buying plus sized jeans. It's not fun...I want to be able to use a bathroom without everything in my pockets falling on the bathroom floor. I'm going to add some fabric to my pockets to make them deeper...I think it will be a simple project.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:00 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,444,467 times
My mom pointed this out to me over 20 years ago - women's fashions have the tiniest little non-pockets, while men's fashions have ample, useful sized pockets. She's inclined to shop the men's department for pants for this reason.

I think the fashion industry began this process quite a while ago, and they are just going more and more extreme with it each year. I have seen jeans where the stitching just made it look like there were pockets, but there really wasn't anything underneath. I suppose they presume that women all carry handbags, and therefore the pockets are obsolete for women.

I think it sucks - I wouldn't mind having pockets that I could actually reach into.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:55 AM

689 posts, read 2,059,107 times
Thanks for your replies...I guess we're all in the same boat here. I've just sent emails to Lee, Levi's, Wrangler and Gloria Vanderbilt, so I'll let you know what I find out.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:16 PM

19,725 posts, read 20,264,355 times
Ya know all this can be resolved with the help of a fanny pack...

Old 10-17-2011, 02:37 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,444,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Ya know all this can be resolved with the help of a fanny pack...
LOL! You just reminded me of Zubaz pants and acid washed high-waisted jeans!

Old 10-17-2011, 02:43 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,909,654 times
This is so funny. I was just explaining to my boyfriend that other day that "girls don't put stuff in pockets." I think when I was young, our moms (at least mine and the moms of some of my friends) would tell little girls that to put things in your pockets can make you look bulky & lumpy, so pockets are just "for show."

I remember with some outfits having the pockets sewn shut at the dry cleaners, because they would pull open when I moved around and made it look like they were "stretching" like my clothes were too tight when they really weren't. When I met a girl my age from Virginia back in my 20s I was relieved to learn that she'd been raised like that too (she was getting her pockets sewn shut), but she thought it was because her mom was a "Southern Belle."

I guess if you are into practicality and feeling fine with yourself, you use pockets and you want them bigger. If you were raised to be neurotic like me, you don't use your pockets, lest someone think you "lumpy."

So to me, when the front pockets are smaller, that's fine with me; less fabric to have removed.

I really need to write that book some day: How Mothers F-Up their Daughters' Self Image Without Meaning To. I've planned it for years...

Old 10-17-2011, 02:46 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
I think it's just an effort to streamline.

Most women don't really necessarily WANT to add any bulk (be it extra layers of fabric that construct the pockets themselves, or cargo to stow in said pockets) around the hips and butt.

I'm okay with it. If I wanted big, bulky pockets, I'd wear cargo pants.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:51 PM

19,725 posts, read 20,264,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
LOL! You just reminded me of Zubaz pants
Nooooooooo! Not those!! lol

Old 10-17-2011, 02:59 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,054,779 times
That's why you have husbands and boyfriends, ladies... have your husbands carry your things for you like I do. Isn't that what boys are for? To carry your things and give you shoulder massages?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty