Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 11:17 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,640,250 times

Advertisements

I'm very pretty but I'm not beautiful, which is fine with me. I've been called beautiful by others, but it was because I was dressed up, made up or it was a special occasion. The only time I actually thought I was beautiful was on my wedding day.

I secretly wonder what it would be like to be a natural beauty who turned all heads. I think I'd love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 11:45 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
I'm very pretty but I'm not beautiful, which is fine with me. I've been called beautiful by others, but it was because I was dressed up, made up or it was a special occasion. The only time I actually thought I was beautiful was on my wedding day.

I secretly wonder what it would be like to be a natural beauty who turned all heads. I think I'd love it!
I think you are beautiful Praline. Based just on your posts here. Beautiful soul.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:51 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I think you are beautiful Praline. Based just on your posts here. Beautiful soul.
LMAO

What did you see that I did not see, Lao?

Old 10-27-2011, 12:32 PM

885 posts, read 1,522,052 times
People do not generally offer employee discounts, free booze, or touchy admiration to someone who has a beautiful soul.

Nothing is for free, and anyone who thinks they can ride on others' admiration for long without having to pay someone somewhere along the line is kidding themselves about 'society'

Old 10-27-2011, 12:47 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Other women tend not to like them, and they tend to marry for money, because they can, and then pay the consequences later.
Or they get the not-as-attractive clingon fake friends who use them... "friends" who attach themselves to attractive people in hopes to either get with their sloppy seconds or benefit in some way...

I by no means think I'm "all that" or whatever, I know if I worked out and stopped indulging in tea with milk and sugar and chocolate I could be a lot more attractive! But I'm not difficult to look at, and it's not always been a good thing. I've had to deal with stalkers... such as anonymous men putting flowers on my car at night so that when my husband leaves for work the next day he sees flowers - not from him - on my car. This also meant that whoever these creeps were, they had followed me home from wherever they had seen me... or perhaps a creepy neighbor? That is way weird - and creepy. When I worked there were times men grabbed my ass - once while I was pregnant. People also tend to assume when you look a certain way that you're an idiot. Like if you're beautiful you cannot also have a brain that works. Being a mother who looks young, I'm constantly being asked if I'm the babysitter and when they find out my kids are actually MY kids I always get comments like, "But you're so young! How old are you? What's your secret?" and I gotta tell you... at first I thought it was flattering but after a few years of this you really get tired of it. I have endured lots of weird and sometimes scary experiences because of the way I naturally look. I really hate the term "MILF".

And I've had to deal with the fake friends problem since middle school. That's the worst, really. I used to be so trusting of everybody and thought everybody had honest and true intentions. So I was very friendly and inviting and warm... but over the years as people whom I thought were my friends turned out to just be clingons... it's made it hard for me to really trust people. Men/boys are awful, too... I really lucked out with my husband but there were lots of guys who were just horrible before I met my husband. Being attractive doesn't mean you will have an easy ride. It's no fun being treated like arm candy or some kind of trophy or sex doll. Not for someone like me, anyway, maybe other people don't mind.

It's probably the way our society treats beautiful people why I don't go out of my way to care about how I look anymore (usually... when hubby and I have date nights I do). I used to, when I was younger, but the attention it attracts was not always good. I learned it's easier to look frumpy (comfy jeans and sweaters that aren't fitted) and not wear makeup and not show off what you have because you blend in more and people leave you alone and you don't attract weirdos and stalkers like I have in the past. (I have to admit, though, I do style my hair. I didn't used to... I spent years in messy buns and pony tails... but then I discovered the wonders of a good flat iron...)

Anyway - when I see beautiful women we usually smile at each other a knowing sort of sad "cheer up, be careful" sort of smile. Because it is a dangerous world out there for beautiful people.

Last edited by haggardhouseelf; 10-27-2011 at 01:04 PM..

Old 10-27-2011, 01:11 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,257,464 times
Some people do not like adoring.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:27 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
It must feel like hell when they get older. I read a story in Star magazine about some 50s playboy playmate who died alone and was dead for months before she was found. She was in her 80s.
Think about it,Mariylyn Monroe,all the actresses dying to stay beautiful and young.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:30 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
In youth we are all beautiful - some more than others....in my personal youth - I had bright blonde hair - green eyes - a swimmers build - and it was wonderful - I got what ever I wanted with little effort - now................I am 61 - the best I can do is be refered to as that handsome older man..with the expiry date on my forehead...enjoy it while you can - youth and beauty are a gift to all - but it is not forever.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:36 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,417 times
It's tough, but then I just look into a mirror and i'm overcome by the exquisite beauty staring back at me...and all the problems associated with said beauty, are magically whisked away!

Old 10-27-2011, 02:06 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
The best looking people have everything easy.

Wait till the inner beauty police arrive here.
But when your personality is just as beautiful, that's just luck lol. I was kind of joking in my first post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty