Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2011, 07:39 AM

885 posts, read 1,522,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
The way the OP described this person, I picture a very rare type of beauty combined with style and poise. The percentage of people who fall into that category is very very small.
Why is that? In this broad-minded age of plenty it can hardly be because human beings are as a rule decrepit.

This type of beauty is either naive or well-cultivated. If you look at the most cultivated beauties of all, models, the preference away from classic proportions of the face into quirky proportions is evident everywhere.

Opportunities for beauty have never been more widely available.

Who would have judged the woman on the bus as vain and thus worthy of contempt without even speaking to her? The envious? What a strange reaction. A smile, or a 'great boot' will do.

Neither naifs nor the cultivated are vain; vanity isn't beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 08:29 AM

511 posts, read 2,451,325 times
From the orginal poster:

The woman I described was one in a thousand, totally unique or else I would not be talking about her. She was not pretty or cute, but just incredibly beautiful and she knew it.

Everyone can talk about inner beauty and miserable lives of some pretty girls but I just think that our society has to provide rewards to women like this just because of human nature. I would like to be her for just a few weeks just to see how she lives and how people react to her.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:00 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusqueHappy View Post
The OP described a woman who couldn't even ride the subway without intense collective scrutiny.
Scrutiny??? Maybe they were just appreciating her beauty. You've never seen someone that just had a unavoidable presence when entering or being in a room?

Quote:

Maybe she wanted to be noticed, or maybe she has good bones, or maybe she has high standards for personal style, and money and taste to express it all, who knows. The point is that it is NOT a pleasant experience to have lecherous bizarre behavior foisted upon oneself in ways that I simply don't see happening to most other people. To buy a coat or a car without being propositioned like a prostitute. To be hired for more than your pretty face (men included, of course).

There are wonderful ways to give compliments, such as these I've received:

~ "You have a lovely smile, thanks for sharing it with us" from a man whose dog I petted at an intersection

~ "What a fabulous jacket you've chosen, that color looks amazing on you"

~ And my favorite so far "Ah what a pity; I see you are married. Please convey my compliments to your husband"

Why people act in other (to me, rude) ways, I don't know.
But the things you're describing happen to regular, average looking folks from "bizarre behavior" to the compliments you received.

I know exactly what the OP is describing. I've only seen 2 women in my life who fit his description. They weren't being harassed by strangers or even complimented for that matter, but people (both men and women) couldn't help themselves from admiring those women.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:53 AM

I knew anyone who answered this question was due for a trial but I did anyway *sigh* - naughty OP

No one knows my experiences, where I've been, what I've seen, etc, just as I can't know others' - maybe it was me you saw

No matter.

This thread is food for thought for all

Old 10-29-2011, 10:10 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
Quote:
I knew anyone who answered this question was due for a trial but I did anyway *sigh* - naughty OP

No one knows my experiences, where I've been, what I've seen, etc, just as I can't know others' - maybe it was me you saw

No matter.

This thread is food for thought for all
Yeah...you and the rest of the supermodels on the C-D message board.

Off to purge my food.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:42 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Why is that? In this broad-minded age of plenty it can hardly be because human beings are as a rule decrepit.

This type of beauty is either naive or well-cultivated. If you look at the most cultivated beauties of all, models, the preference away from classic proportions of the face into quirky proportions is evident everywhere.

Opportunities for beauty have never been more widely available.

Who would have judged the woman on the bus as vain
and thus worthy of contempt without even speaking to her? The envious? What a strange reaction. A smile, or a 'great boot' will do.

Neither naifs nor the cultivated are vain; vanity isn't beautiful.
Why is that? Because if a large percentage of the population were THAT beautiful, it wouldn't be special. It would be average. The OP is talking about a rare type of beauty.

I don't necessarily think the woman on the bus was vain. I think there are some posters here who are.

I got my share of attention when I was younger. I don't for a second think I fall into the category the OP is talking about.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:06 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times
Like this? Marilyn Monroe Nude by Lawrence Schiller (PHOTOS) - The Daily Beast

Old 10-29-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Off to purge my food.
You are very funny, I hope.

LOL

~Susque

Old 10-29-2011, 05:24 PM

834 posts, read 2,278,606 times
Quote:
Anyway - when I see beautiful women we usually smile at each other a knowing sort of sad "cheer up, be careful" sort of smile. Because it is a dangerous world out there for beautiful people.
Is this serious? LMAO!

Being born beautiful is like being born into money. It's not a curse or a hardship. There are studies after studies showing beautiful people, more specifically women, are treated differently (read:better) from the time they are young children and it continues through adulthood.

To the OP, I know what you are talking about. I was stuck behind a beauty, headturner in Manhattan once. Walked behind her for a good 15 blocks and just about every single man and woman looked at her. Men more so. Like actually looked behind them as she was passing. I thought sigh.....must be nice.
I say if people are always looking at you, you are probably good looking.

But for women, if men are constantly hitting on you, complementing your boobs, coming up to your table when your husband is in the bathroom.......now this is just me..... but I'd be afraid I was looking a little trashy and easy. For guys to constantly be extremely forward with you and feel comfortable grabbing you and telling you that you're hot, that's not good.
The true beauties get stares. The hooches attract the perves in droves. If men are constantly hitting on you and being forward, I'd take another look at how you are dressing.
This isn't directed toward any poster here, just in general. JMO.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:01 AM

Yeah, that must be it, I dress like a ****.

This thread is too much - if every person here had answered with personal experiences of their own if they felt that they were either absolutely beautiful (or at least had been for a generous number of years) or had known someone who had... Well that might be both useful and on topic.

Instead the few people who actually answer the post are attacked based on pure speculation!

How vain it would be for me to describe how I'm stared at everywhere I go (which I mentioned months ago in another post), no matter how modestly I'm dressed, and have been for years? Another poster was even accosted while pregnant - flirtatious and dressed like a harlot, I'm sure [NOT]

Does this thread answer your question, OP?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty