Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 05:53 PM

4,061 posts, read 2,138,868 times

Advertisements

You'd think I'd have a better handle on this at age 57, but I need some help. I moisturize my face and hands every morning and night---but don't love putting lotion all over my body. I get away with not moisturizing during the summer, but now it's time to begin dealing with dry skin (the daily hot tubs and sauna at the gym don't help either). I guess I don't like the sticky feeling and then putting clothes on (even pajamas). And my hands are always cold, so that doesn't help, either.

Any suggestions? Lotions you like, especially that aren't too sticky---but which really moisturize? And how to get over the icky feeling of putting clothes back on after greasing up (I'm not a nudist and too cold-blooded, so clothes are definitely a necessity! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 06:00 PM

323 posts, read 529,270 times
I use natural oils that absorb in you skin like almond, olive or apricot oil. I use castor oil at night applied over moist skin. I mix in a pure essential oil for a nice scent. I only use lotion on my hands due to frequent washing of hands.

There are tons of pure natural oils - you should test them to see which one resonates best with you.

Best of luck!!

Old 11-01-2011, 06:10 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,740,216 times
Eucerin is a good brand you can find it at walmart a bit pricey though.

I only use Dove soap. Taking showers in lukewarm or slightly warm water is best. Hot water is terrible for skin. Pat dry yourself do not rub your skin with the towel. Air dry if possible. Lotion yourself with a good quality lotion (Euercin and bath and body works lotions are good) right after you get out of the shower. Lotioning your whole body is not really necessary, at least for me, key areas such as face, arms, legs, hands, feet are the areas you should apply lotion onto daily. If your lips are dry apply lip gloss or chapstick if anything.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:11 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
Cetaphil. Not expensive, not greasy, and my dermatologist recommended it for sensitive skin. It's all I use on my body and my 69 y/o skin is good. Ah, and I live in an area with almost no humidity.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:22 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,355,097 times
My favorite is L'Occitane Body Cream in the jar. A little pricey but it feels heavenly on your body.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Olay ulta moisture lotion with shea butter. It's cheap, it works and it doesn't make me sneeze.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:31 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,784,375 times
CeraVe lotion or cream. A little pricey but great for sensitive skin in need of serious hydration. My dermatologist recommended it when my eczema started flaring up. That and steroids had me back to normal in no time.

I don't think there's a huge difference from lotion to lotion as long as you aim for the simpler formulas. No fragrance, no exfoliants, no shimmery junk. Just about anything made for babies or sensitive skin is fine by me.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:35 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,387,283 times
Every morning when I get out of the shower, I apply coconut oil all over my body. I apply a very small amount on the places that will be covered by clothes, so it absorbs quickly and doesn't stain my clothes and a generous amount on my legs, arms, hands, neck and face.
Virgin coconut oil is a heaven-sent natural product that is absolutely incredible for your skin. It is wonderful as a moisturizer. A lot of companies add coconut oil to their lotions, I go straight to the source. I have never had issues with a dry skin, it is soft and smooth and I think coconut oil was a great contributor.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:53 PM

19,723 posts, read 20,255,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Every morning when I get out of the shower, I apply coconut oil all over my body. I apply a very small amount on the places that will be covered by clothes, so it absorbs quickly and doesn't stain my clothes and a generous amount on my legs, arms, hands, neck and face.
Virgin coconut oil is a heaven-sent natural product that is absolutely incredible for your skin. It is wonderful as a moisturizer. A lot of companies add coconut oil to their lotions, I go straight to the source. I have never had issues with a dry skin, it is soft and smooth and I think coconut oil was a great contributor.

I came in to post basically the exact same thing, lol.

LOVE me some coconut oil.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:03 PM

118 posts, read 218,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sankofa View Post
I use natural oils that absorb in you skin like almond, olive or apricot oil. I use castor oil at night applied over moist skin. I mix in a pure essential oil for a nice scent. I only use lotion on my hands due to frequent washing of hands.

There are tons of pure natural oils - you should test them to see which one resonates best with you.

Best of luck!!
I was about to type the same exact thing! Almond, grapeseed and jojoba are my personal blend. I mix two jars... one with a pump for after shower (before you dry off, but try to air dry some) and a jar mixed with sugar... great exfoliation to just chill in the bathtub (no water) for about 5 minutes. I have been told by more people that I have the softest glowing skin....

I even use Castor oil, grapeseed and jojoba to clean my face every night in the fall and winter. A few nights a week in the more humid months... noting has ever compared to it... smaller pores and discoloration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty