Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 12:55 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times

Advertisements

I once said I wanted to write a book about "the adventures of a girl with average looks" but I never did. I'm older now, in my 40s, but in my 20s, I probably peaked at maybe a "7" (maybe an "8" on a really good, rare day). I'm probably now a "5" or "6" as I can pretty much guess that half the people I run into will look better than me, and half will look worse.

I think that once I got out of my teens, I didn't feel any need or desire to be a 9 or 10. I don't like standing out in a crowd or bringing attention onto myself, at least for my appearance, so being in the middle of the pack looks-wise is just fine with me. For people who need attention, I know they'd be bothered by that.

As soon as I realized that I'd never be beautiful (in my late teens) I decided that it was okay, and I'd much rather be known for being smart and/or funny. So I don't really need (or want) attention for my looks. When I can crack someone up, that makes me feel better than being told I'm pretty or (ech!) hot. I'm not one of those women who doesn't care about appearances at all, and decides to dress schlumpy, not wear makeup, or not shave her legs because it's "superficial." I do all the basics; I just don't over-do it.

I try to keep in shape, dress decently, and fix myself up, but I'm not striving to be something I'm not. That's just sad when you see people doing that. Besides, it's much better when you say that you think you're a 5 or 6 and have people then tell you that you're being too hard on yourself, than to act like you think you're a 10, and have people say that you're not all you think you are.

Another thing I discovered, back in my 20s, is that us average girls are more likely to get freaky stalkers than the super-good-looking girls. You'd think it would be the opposite, that guys who are inclined to stalk or "pursue someone not interested" (if "stalk" is too harsh a word for you) would be drawn to the gorgeous among us. But I think that they see us average women as maybe more attainable, in their mind, and they pursue (and pursue, and pursue.) Maybe the super-gorgeous girls are better at turning guys down and being firmer about it, or even mean about it. I've had too many guys decide I'm "so nice," and "easy to talk to," blah, blah, blah, probably because I didn't just walk away from them early on.

I've had three separate, unrelated, non-ex-boyfriend guys in the past whom I'd consider stalkers. I kind of think that's a lot, especially since I did nothing to encourage it, and since I'm only average looking. Thank God I don't deal with that anymore! And nearly every woman I've met who says she's had a (non-ex-boyfriend) stalker is basically in the average range, and would probably rated a 4-7 in an empirical study. I know one extremely beautiful woman who says she's had a stalker. This is non-scientific of course, but to me the numbers of average women who have been stalked were overwhelming. Keep in mind that stalking by ex-boyfriends is a whole other thing.

On the bright side, in my going-out-to-bars years, I always had guys trying to talk to me and buy me drinks, probably because I'm not intimidating like a "10" would be. Being in the middle means you're seen as more approachable, I suppose. Sometimes I thought I'd like to be at one of the extremes so I wouldn't be so "approachable."

Women who NEED to be seen as attractive, I think, are at a disadvantage. Even the 10s won't always be 10s. Then what do they have left?

Anyway, that's my "average" perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 02:59 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
Just a spinoff of the thread with a similar title,but would love to hear peoples experiences.

/parody thread 1 of TBD
After you!!!

Old 12-21-2011, 07:57 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,411,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I once said I wanted to write a book about "the adventures of a girl with average looks" but I never did. I'm older now, in my 40s, but in my 20s, I probably peaked at maybe a "7" (maybe an "8" on a really good, rare day). I'm probably now a "5" or "6" as I can pretty much guess that half the people I run into will look better than me, and half will look worse.

I think that once I got out of my teens, I didn't feel any need or desire to be a 9 or 10. I don't like standing out in a crowd or bringing attention onto myself, at least for my appearance, so being in the middle of the pack looks-wise is just fine with me. For people who need attention, I know they'd be bothered by that.

As soon as I realized that I'd never be beautiful (in my late teens) I decided that it was okay, and I'd much rather be known for being smart and/or funny. So I don't really need (or want) attention for my looks. When I can crack someone up, that makes me feel better than being told I'm pretty or (ech!) hot. I'm not one of those women who doesn't care about appearances at all, and decides to dress schlumpy, not wear makeup, or not shave her legs because it's "superficial." I do all the basics; I just don't over-do it.

I try to keep in shape, dress decently, and fix myself up, but I'm not striving to be something I'm not. That's just sad when you see people doing that. Besides, it's much better when you say that you think you're a 5 or 6 and have people then tell you that you're being too hard on yourself, than to act like you think you're a 10, and have people say that you're not all you think you are.

Another thing I discovered, back in my 20s, is that us average girls are more likely to get freaky stalkers than the super-good-looking girls. You'd think it would be the opposite, that guys who are inclined to stalk or "pursue someone not interested" (if "stalk" is too harsh a word for you) would be drawn to the gorgeous among us. But I think that they see us average women as maybe more attainable, in their mind, and they pursue (and pursue, and pursue.) Maybe the super-gorgeous girls are better at turning guys down and being firmer about it, or even mean about it. I've had too many guys decide I'm "so nice," and "easy to talk to," blah, blah, blah, probably because I didn't just walk away from them early on.

I've had three separate, unrelated, non-ex-boyfriend guys in the past whom I'd consider stalkers. I kind of think that's a lot, especially since I did nothing to encourage it, and since I'm only average looking. Thank God I don't deal with that anymore! And nearly every woman I've met who says she's had a (non-ex-boyfriend) stalker is basically in the average range, and would probably rated a 4-7 in an empirical study. I know one extremely beautiful woman who says she's had a stalker. This is non-scientific of course, but to me the numbers of average women who have been stalked were overwhelming. Keep in mind that stalking by ex-boyfriends is a whole other thing.

On the bright side, in my going-out-to-bars years, I always had guys trying to talk to me and buy me drinks, probably because I'm not intimidating like a "10" would be. Being in the middle means you're seen as more approachable, I suppose. Sometimes I thought I'd like to be at one of the extremes so I wouldn't be so "approachable."

Women who NEED to be seen as attractive, I think, are at a disadvantage. Even the 10s won't always be 10s. Then what do they have left?

Anyway, that's my "average" perspective.
umm, if that's you in your profile pic, you are not average..you're really pretty!

as for me, I don't know. I've never been good at rating myself. every time I say how fat and gross I feel, people just look at me like and say I'm pretty..meh. I dunno.

I don't think people treat me any certain way based on what I look like. The only thing I've noticed, is sometimes men are nicer to me because I'm friendly. I don't think that has anything to do with how average or not I look, just that I'm nice and I'm female.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:23 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,239,718 times
Uhhhhh...I dunno.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:39 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,329,300 times
It's like breathing in and out and making the best of imperfections

Old 12-27-2011, 01:19 PM

27 posts, read 36,411 times
funny thread. i prefer to be average. i've been called beautiful, pretty, and ugly (while growing up). i'd rather people not stare at me so even though i could dress up and make myself up to look better, i like myself as i am. also prefer not to spend a hour getting ready for everyday work vs. my regular 15 min yea, chalk it up to laziness.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:51 PM

429 posts, read 1,148,405 times
If I'm an average American woman, I'm 5'4" tall and I weigh 164.3 pounds. I'm working class, make about $32,000 a year, went to college but didn't graduate, and I'll probably end up married ...and divorced. Oh, and I'll have one child. Not bad!

Old 12-27-2011, 02:35 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
You fail, as did the topic.
Who's laughing now?

Old 12-27-2011, 02:36 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
It's completely average to be absolutely average.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:51 AM

285 posts, read 927,673 times
I guess for me what is the true definition of average? In my own eyes when I look at myself I say I'm average. But I believe in other peoples eyes I'm not but more than average. I guess it all depends on who these people are that we are with. Say, let's just let our uniqueness shine so then people who we think is higher than us can see that they want to be up there with us...does that make sense?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty