Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 06:05 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times

Advertisements

I'm from NY and only high school girls seem to wear them here. Some college girls do too, but I think once they're in college, they go for a more professional look. Who cares though? If you like them and are comfortable in them and can look good in them, they're in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 09:55 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Who cares though?
I think it's an interesting question, in that it shows how different fashion can be in different parts of my own country, and the world.

Like I posted above, UGGS have been a staple in Southern California beach towns for 20 years. And rockytibby is right, people wear them with dresses, and shorts, and leggings. They are the winter equivalent of flip flops here - but that doesn't mean they're only worn in winter - you see them year-round.

But about five years ago someone I know who is very fashionable, went to a little town in Canada for a rock concert - and she wore her UGGS, thinking it would be just fine. But the locals tore her apart for wearing UGGS to a concert. It was shocking to me to see how appalled they were - but to them it was completely wrong to wear UGGS to a show - and they let her have it. Kind of cracked me up, because she'd be fine at a concert in Southern California - but she didn't pass the fashion police inspection in a tiny town up north! But fashion can be very different in different areas...

Old 02-03-2012, 10:13 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
No offense, but I put UGGS and Crocs in the same category - Ugly, ubiquitous shoes meant for pre-teen girls. They just look really bad on adults IMO. The halls of my daughter's elementary school are filled with 10 year olds wearing UGGS and Crocs - one sign that they are not fashionable for adults. I'm not even sure if the highschoolers still wear them in my town. They are also very wide and unattractive on the foot. Ugh! So many better choices out there for grown women! If you want a comparable comfy, furry, affordable boot, try Oscar boots.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:23 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,058 times
they will be a fave here in nepa for the next 20 yrs--my fav fashion uggs look here---grocery store being worn with obvious pj's occasionally peekaboo gut by 20 something with cig in mouth and 3 kids under 6 fumbling for the food stamp card

or an over 50 something in a nice skirt way above the knee)and top--lots of make up overly sprayed teased hair out and about shopping

Old 02-03-2012, 10:36 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
they will be a fave here in nepa for the next 20 yrs--my fav fashion uggs look here---grocery store being worn with obvious pj's occasionally peekaboo gut by 20 something with cig in mouth and 3 kids under 6 fumbling for the food stamp card

or an over 50 something in a nice skirt way above the knee)and top--lots of make up overly sprayed teased hair out and about shopping
Hilarious! Around here, I think my 10 year old daughter and her friends can pull it off with their Abercrombie skinny sparkly jeans tucked into their UGGS, along with their purple sequined shirts and neon crackle nail polish. That is a perfectly suitable UGGS look IMO!

Old 02-03-2012, 10:39 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
I consider my Uggs to be slippers, not shoes. They're ugly and have zero arch support so they're not suitable for wearing as shoes.

Great slippers though!

Old 02-03-2012, 02:06 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
I'm not a fan of them, but I did notice a large number of women wearing them in Paris. I was shocked.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:11 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
I have the clogs and they are very easy to put on when leaving the house. I wear my Totes boots if it is snowing but they have to be pulled on and zipped. I like the convenience if the Ugg clogs.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:20 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
I have short Uggs, given as a gift, but couldn't afford the tall ones. But when they were onsale I got two pairs of tall Bearpaw boots, which are also, lined with wool, and sewn. Since I got the first pair haven't worn anything else. Mine are medium brown and black. I've tried lots of supposedly warm boots, but when the floor gets so cold like mine is, they are useless. A pair sits by the bed and when I get up the feet go in them and they are the last thing I take off at night.

They look pretty much identical to Uggs. Would someone explain why this type of boot is *ugly*??? They're simple and functional and if you really demand 'fashion' maybe they don't qualify, but practicality and comfort do not make clothes or shoes 'ugly'.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:24 PM

228 posts, read 421,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Never.

There are so many comfortable and stylish and warm boots out there, I don't understand why people act like they were doomed to wander the snow in flip flops before Uggs came along. They aren't even meant to get wet!

No. They are ugly, they are expensive, and they are not waterproof. You can find warm and comfortable in something less hideous.
Exactly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty