Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 10:25 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
"To the footy" = "to the football game"?
It's an strine tradition, mate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 10:31 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Gay or not?

Sorry if I offend anyone but that's the first thing that comes to mind when I see a gentlemen wearing a scarf as a fashion statement. Now if you're a business man and are wearing one with a long sports coat, It looks quite proffesional. If you're wearing one because its cold out and you're trying to keep warm, then I can understand that as well. I just don't understand wearing one because you're trying to look "cute". Kind of makes it look as if you're trying too hard.

Example: I'm on the subwway this morning heading to work and I see a middle aged gentlemen board the train. He has a short casual wool coat on zipped up only half way with a thick scarf neatly tucked into his jacket covering his neck and chest. My first thought was "why not just zip the damn jacket up and you won't need a scarf?".

Your thoughts?
Maybe he wanted the extra warmth of the scarf to block the wind? Besides if he is gay or not or wears a scarf or not what the hell do you care? Does it seriously impact your real life? Will it make a difference in your day? If it is that important to you maybe you should ask every man you see wearing a scarf why they are wearing it and if they are gay.

Do you wear a scarf? Do you wear underwear? Are you gay? Are you straight? Do you pay your bills on time in full each month? Are those boots a fashion statement or are you wearing them because there is snow on the ground in July? Do you brush and floss 3 times a day? Are you gay because you wear boots? Are you gay because you run the sweeper in your home? Are you gay because you wear clothes?

See the point?

Old 02-27-2012, 10:52 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
You've got to be joking.
Ditto for a bow-tie.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:38 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
I have one of those black and white checkerboard scarf that all the Arab guys wear. I wear it when it is really cold out. So far this year has been warm, so not really needed.

I got the look for it, and No it does not look gay at all.

not that I would give a rats arse anyway.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:00 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
It depends on the scarf.

I like scarves on men , I think unlike women ,men have fewer choices when it comes to accessories so good on them for taking pride in their appearance and trying a little harder.

Not quite sure what is "Gay" about wearing a scarf ?

If it was a Hermes silk square you might look slightly like Noel Coward on acid but a nice woolen or cashmere scarf is just a perfect way to accessorise your look as a bloke. And has a purpose which is to keep you warm. You can also add a little dash of colour which is great for businessmen who like my Husband have to wear drab monochrome suits for work. It adds a little fun ,making a suit look less severe and drab.

Well dressed men are so sexy IMO, the scruffy /super plain look is grossly over rated . A little flourish does not a Gay man make though there is nothing wrong with being Gay.

I wish men in our society were allowed to be a little more groomed without aspertions being cast upon their sexuality. I also like Pink Work Shirts on men , I think it looks smart and sexy and not at all feminine. Guys can look fabulous in the right pink. I actually like it better on men than women.

I wish more men looked "Gay" if Gay is the new word for well groomed, and well dressed.... We should all aspire to a little more "Gayness" if that is the case.

Also a real man does not give a monkey's derriere what other people think of him and is sure enough of his sexuality to wear whatever he wants. Be it a Denim overall or beautifully cut Italian tailoring.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:02 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Gay or not?

Sorry if I offend anyone but that's the first thing that comes to mind when I see a gentlemen wearing a scarf as a fashion statement. Now if you're a business man and are wearing one with a long sports coat, It looks quite proffesional. If you're wearing one because its cold out and you're trying to keep warm, then I can understand that as well. I just don't understand wearing one because you're trying to look "cute". Kind of makes it look as if you're trying too hard.

Example: I'm on the subwway this morning heading to work and I see a middle aged gentlemen board the train. He has a short casual wool coat on zipped up only half way with a thick scarf neatly tucked into his jacket covering his neck and chest. My first thought was "why not just zip the damn jacket up and you won't need a scarf?".

Your thoughts?

IF the man is handsome enough, hot enough, alpha enough, he can pull off any look!

Old 02-28-2012, 11:07 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
It depends on the scarf.

I like scarves on men , I think unlike women ,men have fewer choices when it comes to accessories so good on them for taking pride in their appearance and trying a little harder.

Not quite sure what is "Gay" about wearing a scarf ?

If it was a Hermes silk square you might look slightly like Noel Coward on acid but a nice woolen or cashmere scarf is just a perfect way to accessorise your look as a bloke. And has a purpose which is to keep you warm. You can also add a little dash of colour which is great for businessmen who like my Husband have to wear drab monochrome suits for work. It adds a little fun ,making a suit look less severe and drab.

Well dressed men are so sexy IMO, the scruffy /super plain look is grossly over rated . A little flourish does not a Gay man make though there is nothing wrong with being Gay.

I wish men in our society were allowed to be a little more groomed without aspertions being cast upon their sexuality. I also like Pink Work Shirts on men , I think it looks smart and sexy and not at all feminine. Guys can look fabulous in the right pink. I actually like it better on men than women.

I wish more men looked "Gay" if Gay is the new word for well groomed, and well dressed.... We should all aspire to a little more "Gayness" if that is the case.

Also a real man does not give a monkey's derriere what other people think of him and is sure enough of his sexuality to wear whatever he wants. Be it a Denim overall or beautifully cut Italian tailoring.

you got that right!!!

and yeah, I will wear a pink dress shirt to go to an affair, and look totally masculine, and fierce, ta-boot !!! holla !!!

Old 02-28-2012, 11:28 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I

Being well dressed increases your perceived attractiveness by at least 30% in my book.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:29 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
And it doesn't say much for straight men if anything that's not sloppy and lazy is "gay."

Old 02-28-2012, 11:32 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
I have pink cufflinks today, with pink floral boxers. A pink striped shirt and a dark suit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty