Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 10:29 AM

2,094 posts, read 3,655,412 times

Advertisements

I splurge on high end luxury accessories-LV,Hermes and keep the rest of my wardrobe basic LL Bean,Lands End.I live in cold weather so a good classic ,wool coat is a must.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 11:48 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I don't cut corners on any of my clothing... I don't buy it often enough and it has got to last. I HATE to shop. Even moreso that many of the clothing nowadays is made very cheaply, even when it is not cheap! Some of these clothes shrink so badly.

I definitely splurge for the extra warm boots in the winter though as we need them here in the Chicago area. Maybe I might cheap out on the dressy clothes because I don't wear them too often.

150$(about) blouse at a macys....checked the seams and started laughing. I had to take the thing to the girl at the counter as it looked like someone was drinking when the finished the seams on it. I have been noticing this too and it annoys me.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:50 AM

2,632 posts, read 4,051,714 times
I splurge on shoes, formal and business wear and coats (i.e. suits, dresses, blouses, etc). Most of my formal, business attire and coats are classic, with the intention of them lasting for a long time. I have to agree with another poster that if you scrimp on shoes you'll pay for it later--literally and figuratively. I have tried to go cheap on coats, before, but I find cheaper coats don't look as polished, or fall apart easily. However, I have at least one cheap/throwaway coat for shoveling snow.

Everyday clothes I'll pay a dime a dozen for, because I know I'll change my wardrobe every few years, anyhow.

Jeans and purses vary. I like the quality of leather purses, but I also like having a some cheaper person that I can take anywhere in any season to match every outfit I have. I have my everyday jeans, and a few "favorite" pairs that I spent more for and will wear everywhere else.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:25 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
I am a person who definitely loves a good sale, but I do care about quality. Just because an item is on sale or clearance does not mean that it has equal quality as something you might spend a little extra for. So now I look at the materials used in clothing that are on sale to get the best with my money. Sometimes I do find thick jackets and nice, designer like jeans for much less, but not always.

So I am willing to spend money on:
-Good quality, lasting jeans
-Weather specific shoes(I don't live in a snowy climate, but if I did I'd make sure to stock up on nice, warm boots)
-Handbags(I've had my fair share of cheap bags and bad experiences though there are some decent ones in the $30 range)

Willing to bargain for:
-Many casual tops(I can typically search out ones with decent quality and cheap prices)
-Sandals(Don't mind paying $10 or even less for them)
-Athletic wear (Don't get me wrong, I love some comfortable clothing to jog in, but for some reason I don't mind spending less on them)

We all have our personal tastes and reasons for spending on certain items and saving on others. What are yours?
I splurge on:

- quality bras
(because a bra that doesn't fit can make a woman very cranky)

- quality shoes
(since I'm a former dancer, I know the importance of good foot health)

- and quality jeans
(because they last forever, and since I have a short torso with long legs, it's very challenging for me to find a pair that fits in the first place)

Old 03-18-2012, 01:09 AM

4,868 posts, read 8,411,220 times
I"m a poor college kid...I don't know what a splurge is!

everything is made in China/Thailand/vietnam, etc. I have some sports bra's made in Israel that they sell at victoria's secret..they're actually my best sports bra's..go figure

I used to work at a swimsuit store so I was able to afford to "splurge" on quality Brazilian and Italian made swimsuits. they're beautiful and high quality, lasts forever.

Also I've worked enough retail and have done so much shopping in fancy stores that I've seen how supposed high end clothing sometimes is defected so I don't believe on spending a lot unless you've really come to trust a brand and their quality. that's why I always wait for big sales, I've found designer clothing for up to 80% off..seriously, why pay full price? its an idiot move in my opinion since just about everything eventually gets marked down, sometimes very drastically at that.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:51 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
everything is made in China/Thailand/vietnam, etc.
In my experience, clothes made in Vietnam have been very good. I always keep an eye out for them.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:52 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,411,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
In my experience, clothes made in Vietnam have been very good. I always keep an eye out for them.
ya you're right! I have some clothes made in Nam and they're probably my best clothes.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:03 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,547,427 times
Splurge
Shoes, sandals, boots
Handbags
Suits

Sales
Everything else

I try to shop when things are on sale as often as possible. I like end-of-season sales when you can pick up high-quality clothing for deep discounts, like a $150 skirt for $10!

Old 03-18-2012, 07:08 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,976,888 times
I don't splurge on "trendy" items nor do I buy a lot of trendy clothing but other than that I have no problem paying for quality. Not all high-end equal quality especially a lot of the clothing thats been released in the recent years. $100+ for spandex, ummmm no! lol. I'm loyal to a few designers and don't really stray from them often. I almost always have to pay full price or else I would never find anything in my size if I waited around for a sale.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:04 AM

3,734 posts, read 4,547,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
Also I've worked enough retail and have done so much shopping in fancy stores that I've seen how supposed high end clothing sometimes is defected so I don't believe on spending a lot unless you've really come to trust a brand and their quality. that's why I always wait for big sales, I've found designer clothing for up to 80% off..seriously, why pay full price? its an idiot move in my opinion since just about everything eventually gets marked down, sometimes very drastically at that.
That's my philosophy too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty