Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 11:47 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
The Botox/fillers will do more faster than any other procedure. Any actual "surgery" won't give you time to heal...that takes WEEKS!

Exfoliate (I like St. Ives Renew and Firm Apricot scrub) every other day...not every day! Leaves your skin nice and moisturized and removes that dulling dead layer of skin.

The tooth whitening is good...Crest strips work wonders!

Good hair will also help...a semi-permanent color is easy on your own, and can brighten up your locks!
I am still looking for a place to do Botox and fillers, I thought I had one, but they called this AN an said that they don't do it which is strange because their website says they do. I guess there wasn't much of a demand.

Crest White Strips and St. Ives Renew and Firm Apricot should not be hard to find. There is an Ulta nearby and a few large beauty supply stores. Other places available are Sephora where I saw Strivectin and a few other products. I don't want to go there acting really desperate because I'm afraid that they will just try to sell me every thing that they have. Not only will that make me broke, it will just be more confusing, leading to even more stress.

Good hair always helps!
I am having my hair colored to get rid of gray roots (I do this anyway) I have a good colorist / hairstylist and she is in an up scale shop which helps. She might have some additional ideas.

A few of you pointed to lack of sleep. That has been a problem. However, I tried a product calls "Seep MD", an OTC mixture natural ingredients that has been helping me to at least get to bed at a normal time. For me to stay asleep for ten hours at a stretch, I'd most likely need an anesthesiologist on call! I am lucky if I get to sleep before 12AM and stay asleep for 7 or 8 hrs.

I have already been increasing the water and exercise. I don't and never have smoked, and I am laying off the red wine for now.

mani-pedi -got that covered.

The worst thing is living in an area where resources are somewhat limited. If I were on the market for a Kyack or fishing gear, I'd be in good shape.

Other problems that I need to address - dark under rye circles
brown spots from the sun
older looking hands
less young looking skin on my
arms - not fat sort of puckered
or striated.
Amy thing for those issues?

I already have a great upper arm work out that I devised my self that I respond to with in days.

When I was younger, a tan would cover a multitude of flaws, but now I'm afraid of it. I'm also afraid that a spray tan will make me look orange or trashy. I'm sure there might be some that are better than others, but I don't know where to begin.

Is there anything else that I should or should not wat? Any vitamins?
Any other topical creams or serums?

OH also my lips are a mess after the winter. Shriveled puckery and flaky.
They were a good feature but right now, not so much. Anythink to make them more youthful or plump? Not a fan of the platypus look, but nice firm, smooth and well formed lips do help.

I really appreciate all of the input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 11:58 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
Lips: Two face lip injection extreme. Lip fusion is more gentle but also more expensive. A drugstore brand of plumper gloss: NYX in clear.

Jergens natural glow lotions are nice and not orange in the light version I tried.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:11 PM

1,160 posts, read 4,246,172 times
I find you to be stressed out a little. Soooooo, take one day to do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, just relax on the couch for some TV, take a nap, eat some juicy tasty food, drink lots of water, WALK AROUND IN THE YARD OR PARK in the sunshine for a little while, come in and wash your face with regular soap and pat it dry and put on a ton of lotion, brush your hair a few times, and count your blessings. Oh, a wonderous scarf around your neck and a sparkling barrett in your hair will do more to brighten your eyes than anything else.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:14 PM

Also, what is a really good moisturizer that I can get? I live near a Macy's but again, cosmetic counter women overwhelm me with product, and each is pushing her own line.

I want to attempt to keep things simple. I am willing to do both "one shot deal" (or once a year) things as well as things that I can incorporate into my beauty routine.

Honestly, right now I don't have a "beauty routine" - the past several tears have not been about me. They have, out of necessity, been about others and my family. Everyone has been depending upon me and my kids are, like most teens into their own needs.

Since women here tend to cut their hair short or perm it after 40 (not ALL, but many) and eschew make up, it is easier to lower one's standards and to become lax. I DON"T WANT THS TO HAPPEN TO ME. I'm not a fan of the extremes of a Joan Rivers , but I think that as we age, we need to maintain our selves, no less than we would for an older house or automobile. "Leaving it alone" is not "aging gracefully" - that's just neglect. Entropy sets in and the natural trend is downward. That's not where I want to go.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:04 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
What in the darn world makes the opinion of a female friend so important and this "intervention" so urgent, Sheena?!

Old 04-01-2012, 01:17 PM

541 posts, read 861,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
url=http://www.arthardingsfacelift.com/instant.html]About Art Harding[/url] (I think you can order it off Amazon with next/2-day delivery)
That is creepy. Reminds me of Cher being caught in Cannes with her face taped back (pictures taken of tape on the sides of her face near her ears):http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/...83_306x357.jpg

To the OP: I saw a show (I think it was called "Style by Jury"?) where they take people and give them makeovers to look younger. The same routine seemed to be applied to everyone they re-did: Whiten teeth, dye hair/add highlights/cut hair in a youthful style, re-do makeup to be subtle but concealing of blemishes, etc. and gave them a new wardrobe.

I don't know what your budget is, but if you can go to Macy's you can ask for a personal shopper and specify you want someone who has knowledge of makeup as well. Sometimes the cost is free if you spend over a certain amount. This can get you on your way and you can get a tooth whitener at Target and ask around for a good salon. Good luck.

Last edited by Tantamount; 04-01-2012 at 01:26 PM..

Old 04-01-2012, 01:22 PM

It's for myself not for a friend. Because of the many stressful events I have endured,, I feel I could use a little lift and a bit of TLC.

I always took good care of myself before, but with all that has transpired in the past several years, I've been neglecting myself and tending to the needs of others. I want to stop doing that and get back in the habit of taking care of myself.

Many woman "back burner" their own needs for those of others. My mom did not. She was ahead of her time in that way. Lately, I have. And I HATE the results.

I generally like my appearance and my "type" I have never wanted to look like any one else. Just like me, at my best.

I am truly grateful for the advice I have received thus far on this board, and I look forward to any other constructive suggestions.

Please - Keep 'em coming!

Old 04-01-2012, 01:45 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,795 times
I've been using Philosophy Turbo Booster C powder in the last two months and I wholeheartedly recommend it. I'm almost 60; my skin is decent though with large pores, some spots on my cheekbones from either the sun or age, and a bit of sagging around the jaw area. After two or three weeks of Turbo Booster C (don't remember the exact amount of time), I could see little sagging, all the spots faded (they are completely gone now), and the skin around my eyes are tightened. I use it twice a day instead of once as per instruction, so perhaps that's why it works faster for me.

As others have recommended, I use exfoliator always. Twice a day, morning and night, and sometimes once more in the shower. After exfoliating or washing my face, I use olive oil instead of toner.

In addition, since I do not wear make up, I put on moisturizer and deep wrinkle cream several times a day, even if the cream is for night time only. I have been using ROC for deep wrinkle for 11 years and it worked extremely well in the beginning but slightly less effective now. Still, I have very few wrinkles and not one can be called deep, so I guess it did its job.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 04-01-2012 at 01:54 PM..

Old 04-01-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
I've been using Philosophy Turbo Booster C powder in the last two months and I wholeheartedly recommend it. I'm almost 60; my skin is decent though with large pores, some spots on my cheekbones from either the sun or age, and a bit of sagging around the jaw area. After two or three weeks of Turbo Booster C (don't remember the exact amount of time), I could see little sagging, all the spots faded (they are completely gone now), and the skin around my eyes are tightened. I use it twice a day instead of once as per instruction, so perhaps that's why it works faster for me.

In addition, since I do not wear make up, I put on moisturizer and deep wrinkle cream several times a day, even if the cream is for night time only. I have been using ROC for deep wrinkle for 11 years and it worked extremely well in the beginning but slightly less effective now. Still, I have very few wrinkles and not one can be called deep, so I guess it did its job.
Thanks. Is this something that you ingest" I am familiar with the Philosophy line on body lotians, hair care rtc. Are they related?

Old 04-01-2012, 01:57 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,795 times
Yes, they are related. No, you don't ingest it. It's pure Vitamin C in an extremely fine powder form. When you put a teeny tiny spoon (included) of powder in your palm and mix it with moisturizer (any kind), it will immediately dissolve. You apply that on your face as with normal moisturizer. Vitamin C tightens the skin and lightens up dark spots. The instruction calls for 1/4 of a spoon, but I use the whole spoon (the spoon is very tiny, so 1/4 is too little IMO.)

I bought mine from Sephora, but for some reason, the price in the store is higher than online.

BTW, I edited my last post to add the olive oil part. Olive oil works very well for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty