Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 12:38 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,152,445 times

Advertisements

I don't understand that either, and I have no use for purses of that price range. I have a hard enough time spending $30-$40 on a purse. I DO have a Coach purse that my mom bought me for my birthday - and she got it 50% off PLUS an additional 30% off that. I've also bought myself $60 purses, BUT only when sales and extra discounts bring them down to $20-$25. And it wasn't "to have it". It was because my other purse literally fell apart.

I don't need a designer's name on my purse - all I'm looking for is what does the trick. And with the way I beat up purses, or my nephew puts his sticky hands on them (you know how kids absent-mindedly play with zippers and such), I can't fathom spending a ton of money on one.

I have a friend whose then-boyfriend spent $250 or so on a Coach purse for her for Christmas. She refused it saying it wasn't the one she liked. The one she liked was about $400. So she printed out the picture, gave him back the wrong purse and told him to go get that one. I still can't beleive that - and that was 2-3 years ago.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:11 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,196,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I don't understand that either, and I have no use for purses of that price range. I have a hard enough time spending $30-$40 on a purse. I DO have a Coach purse that my mom bought me for my birthday - and she got it 50% off PLUS an additional 30% off that. I've also bought myself $60 purses, BUT only when sales and extra discounts bring them down to $20-$25. And it wasn't "to have it". It was because my other purse literally fell apart.
I know from my wife, who wont spend more then $20 on a purse, what you pretty much get for under that is something that will fall apart within a couple months of use.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:20 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,196,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Awful lot of unfounded stereotypes and prejudices in this thread, eh?

Purses and shoes aside, I can understand someone with limited means purchasing fewer pieces of higher-priced quality clothing instead of 10x more pieces of junk from Wal Mart. That makes perfect sense.

Price and quality are often mutually exclusive. When I was a stupid high school kid, my parents gave us money to get new clothes each year, a budget. I wanted to be cool, and spent like half my budget on a pair of Tommy Hilfiger jeans (back when all the kids were wearing them).

Any how, since I spent most of my money on those pants, the only thing I could afford other then that were a couple pairs of Wrangler at Walmart.

The Tommy Hilfiger seemed like the material was a little heavier, but all 3 pairs of jeans lasted me years after that. The problem came when nobody was wearing Tommy Hilfiger any more, and the Hilfiger jeans became a "liability" rather then an asset. Guess what? I still was able to wear my $10 Wranglers, but my $100 Tommy Hilfiger Jeans got me joked, and I never wore them again, eventually donating them.

My $10 Wranglers were still in great condition nearly a decade later when I lost a bunch of weight and they no longer fit.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:38 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,053,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I never understood this. Why would a girl who survives paycheck to paycheck and lives in the projects go out and buy a $1200 LV bag? I laugh when I see this. Who do they think they're fooling? I overheard some woman on line at the store the other day talking about how she's going to pay the rent late this month because there's a pair of those red bottom shoes that she wants and they cost $800. The way I see it is, if you cant go to the store and buy them without batting an eyelash or sacrificing bills, then you have no business buying them. Live within your means people.
Probably the same reason why high income people go into massive debt to buy expensive cars, houses, and boats they can't afford.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:05 PM

836 posts, read 2,947,844 times
if is hard-earned money, who cares what others do with it? live and let live.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:16 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
I don't pretend to know what anybody pays for anything. The only designer clothing items I've ever owned, I found at thrift stores.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:40 PM

877 posts, read 2,012,635 times
Because people are extravagant these days, especially the lower income classes. They idolize those who have a luxurious lifestyle and want to be a part of that "culture". I honestly cannot stand it when I see people wear stuff from head-to-toe, all plastered in brand names. Rich people don't do that. We live in a society where it's not seen as okay to be poor and to look poor, because people will look down on you. Let's face it: no one wants to be look down on but trying to look rich makes you look like a fool even more. I think women are generally materialistic. I love labels, I won't deny it. But I will not skip meals and wear stuff to showcase my extravaganza. You see people even wearing shoes these days that are clearly trying to show how "rich" they are: Tory Burch Reva Flats, Burberry Boots, UGGs.. I mean what the hell?

Old 05-07-2012, 04:48 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,506,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Ever watch individuals on public assistance spend their "child tax credits". I have seen this with some low income but it happens throughout the spectrum of wealth or not. It has to do with feeling "entitled" despite the fact they cannot afford something. They generally inherit this behavior by watching family do it.
They should have to report what they bought with that credit

Old 05-07-2012, 04:48 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,977,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
Because people are extravagant these days, especially the lower income classes. They idolize those who have a luxurious lifestyle and want to be a part of that "culture". I honestly cannot stand it when I see people wear stuff from head-to-toe, all plastered in brand names. Rich people don't do that. We live in a society where it's not seen as okay to be poor and to look poor, because people will look down on you. Let's face it: no one wants to be look down on but trying to look rich makes you look like a fool even more. I think women are generally materialistic. I love labels, I won't deny it. But I will not skip meals and wear stuff to showcase my extravaganza. You see people even wearing shoes these days that are clearly trying to show how "rich" they are: Tory Burch Reva Flats, Burberry Boots, UGGs.. I mean what the hell?
I absolutely agree with you on those couple of points. It's sad that even working-class and blue-collar folks (who aren't necessarily poor) are looked down upon for being frugal, real, and ultimately humble, rather than wasting their money on overpriced crap.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:49 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,541,852 times
This problem is definitely not limited to the "poor" - there are millions of so-called "middle class" families drowning in consumer debt.

When topics like this are posted, I think the underlying issue is that is that on some level, it feels good to judge/criticize those who we perceive to be "lower" than ourselves.

These threads rarely include a thoughtful conversation about trying to understand why people of all income levels desire to have so many consumer products, so many products with designer labels on them, etc. .... if that's what the threads were about, then the motivation would be to increase our understanding, compassion, and empathy toward others.

But since they almost always focus on "the poor" (and leave out the fact that these behaviors can be found in those at all income levels), I believe they reveal that judging someone who we feel is "less than" us feels good on some level - it feeds our delusion that we are somehow "better," that we are "smarter" and "different" than those lowly folks who just make stupid decisions about their money.

JMHO.

For those who truly do want to understand why people make the decisions they make with money, this is a very interesting article on the topic: The Psychological Poverty Trap: The Poor Aren't Less Able, They're Distracted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty