Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2013, 04:22 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,337,447 times

Advertisements

Just watched this:

Yahoo! Finance - Financially Fit

Very cool if you ask me. Then again the guy is working. He just doesn't spend much money. Cheap and a Millionaire. I would rather be that than have stuff anyday.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:55 AM

14 posts, read 35,847 times
I notice things like that too. It's annoying. Here's the situation --
She most likely has children... probably more than one. She might also be separated from her children's father.
In this case she's either collecting child support and/or WIC. Additionally, she most likely has food stamps and welfare.
She get's by with the government money and if she happens to have a job she probably saves it along with her spendable cash she gets from her benefits giving her the ability to purchase expensive things like that.

I see that in cases with vehicles down here.
RIDICULOUS. It pisses me off. People like me who don't collect any benefits and work over 40 hours a week living on tips doesn't even have a car and I'm constantly late on my monthly bills because I'm not making enough yet here's this person with "low income" driving Bentley's and wearing all the best brand clothing.
I can't remember the last time I went clothes shopping.

They should make everyone save and submit their receipts at the end of the month if they're going to collect benefits. That's what I say. I bet these benefits wouldn't last very long for these people.

Last edited by x3meggiex3; 09-05-2013 at 06:56 AM.. Reason: adding more

Old 09-05-2013, 07:16 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,118,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You guys are far overestimating how often this sort of thing happens. It is not very frequent at all. I don't know where you all are getting this impression that people on welfare are making daily trips to Saks Fifth Avenue and the Louis Vuitton store to stock up on "essentials."

Most people on "public assistance" barely have enough time to get enough sleep and look after their kids homework trying to make ends meet.
I'm not on public assistance and I too have barely enough time to get enough sleep and look after my kids while I am making ends meet. I bet the same can be said about the majority of other people as well.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:20 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,118,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Buy once cry once. For all you know the expensive stuff they have may be second hand. For example I gave a friend of mine a few suits I never wore. I bought them for a job that I ended up not renewing my contract so I had no use for the suits. These were expensive suits few Armani and a few Gucci. He needed them for a new job he was starting in sales. He couldn't afford them I could. I gave them away. Now I buy rugged work wear because i'm back in the field not stuck in a office in a rat maze wearing a monkey suit. I still buy expensive work wear cause it just lasts longer. $70 pair of work pants last longer than a 20-30 pair of cheap work pants. Hell my work boots cost $200 bucks but they last a year where cheap $50 boots last three months and my feet kill me. If the poor person saved the money its their business how they spend it
Agreed, however, someone on welfare (something that is NOT earned) should not be purchasing luxury items like a $400 purse. That money would be better suited for other things, like, a savings account in which after time they could get off welfare???

Old 09-06-2013, 08:13 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Agreed, however, someone on welfare (something that is NOT earned) should not be purchasing luxury items like a $400 purse. That money would be better suited for other things, like, a savings account in which after time they could get off welfare???
And if they found it at an estate sale for $20? Or a thrift store for $30? A friend of mine found a Fendi bag at a thrift store near the Cape and spent $15 on it... She even went and had it authenticated in NY and it's a legitimate bag.

That's what so many people on this thread simply aren't getting. I really, truly doubt these people are walking into a department store and buying these items at full retail. They are gifted, found at garage sales/thrift stores and oftentimes are fakes or bought on the black market. Or, you can just go on ebay and check out the coach store. Tons of bags for fairly cheap...definitely in line with what a bag from Target would cost, and obviously it's FAR better quality.

I think it's interesting that a few people have mentioned that (including myself) only to be pretty much ignored in favor of the 'Welfare card/Escalade/Rims/$10,000 sound system/fake nails/coach bag/buying lobster and steak' trope that keeps getting trotted out here.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:38 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,142,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
This seems like the paranoia of people who have no idea what it's like to be poor. They complain about their tax money supporting those who are just lazy & these are supposedly living in luxury off their hard earned money - yeah right!
Someone would have to be working for cash under the table to get away with that. In which case, there is a bigger character flaw than just being irresponsible with money. And that cash is harder to hide than you may think. It can never touch their bank account or any kind of physical record. Their home is open to random inspections also, so too much nice stuff will raise eyebrows.
If you've ever been into welfare offices or around social workers or that general realm of society, then you would not want to go back, not for any "free money". I find it doubtful that most on welfare are coasting on it & buying luxury items & feeling good about themselves. Again, the paranoias and denial of those who know little about the realities of the poor.....

Old 09-07-2013, 04:17 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,047,178 times
I'm not low-income although in my 20's I probably was....I can visit a thrift store or shop on eBay and put together a very expensive looking outfit for very little so people might think I was dressing expensively but in reality, I'm just a smart shopper!

Old 09-07-2013, 09:21 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
Default Why do low income people buy expensive clothing/accessories?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I'm not low-income although in my 20's I probably was....I can visit a thrift store or shop on eBay and put together a very expensive looking outfit for very little so people might think I was dressing expensively but in reality, I'm just a smart shopper!
Exactly. One of the lessons my mom taught me well. Growing up we only went to Kmart, Ross or Marshall's. Unless Dad was shopping. My mom grew up pretty poor and retained her frugalness even though my parents did pretty well during my childhood.

I get the most compliments on my clothing from target, kohls, forever 21 and old navy. Which is then followed by a look of shock.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:05 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,299,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
You don't know that she is actually going to buy a real bag vs a knock-off and just wants her friends to think she has the money.
9 out of 10 it's a knock off; especially with LV. I'm on the streets of NYC everyday and I see them all the time. For the OP, for $1,200 you are not likely to get much of a genuine LV anyway ... just a small crossbody, mini, or clutch; maybe one of the more expensive long wallets. The iconic bags everyone wants to show off with cost at a minimum 2-3x times that much. The ones you see on the street are usually knock offs. There are some good knock offs, but someone with an eye can always spot what's wrong with them. I also see some really funny bad ones out there that people should be ashamed to be seen with but they are just too stupid to know it. So never fear OP, your taxpayer funded welfare cash is more likely paying for a very cheap knock off, not the genuine article.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:48 PM

752 posts, read 1,164,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3meggiex3 View Post
I see that in cases with vehicles down here.
I see it all times that people who live in public housing drove good cars. Why not, they do not pay rent. I would spend 200$ per month on a good car too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty