Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 08:18 PM

371 posts, read 625,009 times

Advertisements

People do not have to dress fashionably or expensively to show respect while being in God's house but they should dress clean and neat and modest. Why is it too much to ask that a person wear a pair of slacks and a collared shirt? It's not about being poor (for the majority of cases) it's about laziness- plain and simple. Pretty much people don't give a crap anymore. People used to be embarrassed to go to the grocery store in rollers, or wear flip-flops to see the President, or be pregnant at 15, or a whole myriad of things and now people just don't care. It's a shame and we should have more respect for ourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 09:50 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,960 times
So if some poor soul turned up to the church in rags, i would hope they wouldn't be turned away by the church fashion police. A place of worship is for everyone if they are there for he right reasons.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:59 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
It is interesting how dressing for church varies from culture to culture...I grew up in Southern Utah...dressing for church meant a conservative granny dress. I once went to a black Baptist church..it was quite a cultural experience.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:31 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
It is interesting how dressing for church varies from culture to culture...I grew up in Southern Utah...dressing for church meant a conservative granny dress. I once went to a black Baptist church..it was quite a cultural experience.
And special underwear

Old 10-25-2012, 03:12 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
So if some poor soul turned up to the church in rags, i would hope they wouldn't be turned away by the church fashion police. A place of worship is for everyone if they are there for he right reasons.
Yes, I agree.
I'll admit, that I liked it years back when women wore hats and gloves and men wore suits,
but times change, and a church should be open to everyone regardless of dress.
If someone comes in attire that I don't like, I look within and ask what' wrong with me that I would reject a soul that Jesus accepts.
He came for the poor and afflicted, not the wealthy nor even the middle class.
Christians are told in the bible to follow that example.
We have no other choice.
I think if we do other than this, we are in reality becoming some other religion.
We may fall short of the ideal, but should agree that that's the ideal we should all be striving for.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:27 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,670,074 times
I am a Unitarian Universalist. The folks on Sunday wear anything from jeans to dresses. I personally do not see the big deal -- just because I don't wear a dress it doesn't mean that my church is not important to me.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:47 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
I am a Unitarian Universalist. The folks on Sunday wear anything from jeans to dresses. I personally do not see the big deal -- just because I don't wear a dress it doesn't mean that my church is not important to me.
Sure. It is a good thing that they are coming, getting something out of the services. I always liked the Univeralists. They are so open minded and accepting.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:51 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
I've recently gone back to church and have noticed a trend that is pretty surprising to me. I have seen MANY women go to church dressed in stiletto heels and short skirts and I'm quite shocked. These aren't terribly young women either. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE seeing women in short skirts and high heels, but my personal belief is one that if you do go to a religious institution/event, you should go dressed somewhat conservatively. I'm not saying cover yourselves up completely, but, perhaps ditch the platform stripper heels for a 2 inch heel?

I hate to sound old fashioned and I am bit of a hypocrite because I think stiletto heels are very sexy, but can't you just put them away for an hour especially in church? On the flip side, I see guys wearing flip-flops. I get the "God doesn't care about what I wear" argument, but seriously, is wearing a nice pair of jeans and a polo shirt too much? Then again, Jesus did wear sandals

Anyone else agree/disagree?
I agree. When I was younger, I was kind of hooked into that part of our culture where it was okay to wear jeans to church. Six years ago, I became a young grandmother, I feel a need to set an example for younger people so I dress a little better, even though I am in a sea of people decked out in jeans flip flops and and very casual wear...as if they might be going on a jaunt to the park to eat fried chicken, nap and play horseshoes instead of visiting a house of worship. I'm sure I'm looked at a little strangely because I wear fine gauge knit sweaters with modestly fitting slacks, nice fitting dresses that reach the knee and about three inch heels with them. If the weather is very cold, muddy or bad, I might opt for a very nice blouse or sweater paired with some dressy black jeans and nice shoes. My Catholic parish is conservative in outlook, but liberal in its fashion choices. I love Easter--my big chance to dress in a beautiful suit and heels.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:23 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Dressing for church? Exactly why I stopped doing organized religion. Worship and spirituality should not be based on the clothes you wear.

Really, we should all go to church naked...Adam and Eve, before original sin. Naked church, or no church! Naked church!

No, seriously, I think there is a problem, when people are looked down on, depending on what they wear to church. This is supposed to be about not judging others, accepting others, and embracing the poor...we never had much money when I was growing up, and I went to church, and felt the other kids were mean, because they were wearing fancy clothes, and I had hand me downs. I did not have shiny new church shoes, just some loafers I wore to school. Especially on Easter, everyone had new clothes, I often did not...I felt so terrible, it just ruined the whole experience.

Last edited by jasper12; 01-07-2014 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: Edit

Old 01-07-2014, 07:35 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
I am like this -God sees you naked, OK we know this, but in most religions it states that He should be honored, revered worshiped etc. (not to mention any particular sect).. we can agree on that right??--
So wear what you want but even though God is with me in my home with my ratty, hole ridden PJs, when I visit HIS house I go to pay homage to someone more important than the president. How would you dress for the pres at the white house? ?
I base my thought in old testament.. the priests had specific wear to go to temple or the to the tabernacle, some actually died, and were pulled by rope,,, so,,
if God doesn't change,,, should we not be a bit more respectful? I look down on no one,,, this is what I do. and the poor God loves, and over seas,,they get decked out with their best- rips and all. Its about attitude,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty