Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 10:45 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times

Advertisements

I quit putting fashion/style before comfort DECADES ago.

Gave up high heals, makeup (except for lipstick on a job interview, professional appointment or something like that), skirts/dresses (except on VERY rare occasions (last dress I wore was two years ago at a family reunion (or was it FOUR years ago)

As for others who are will to put style BEFORE comfort -- I don't really have a theory, per se. If they're willing to NOT be comfortable in order to look what they think is fashionable.....that's on them. I am not going to do it. For me, comfort is paramount, or at least more important than being a lemming to what 'designers' tell us is fashion.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:06 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Have women EVER told men how to dress on C-D, unless the men were actively soliciting advice? It seems like it's the OP who need to chill out.
Well, there is the infamous speedo thread.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:43 AM

221 posts, read 282,980 times
I don't think you can speak as to SOMEONE ELSE'S comfort level, unless you can magically transport yourself to their body. Jean leggings, nylons, and tights do not make me uncomfortable. They also do not give me the myriad of health problems they are accused of giving women. They might give Sally, Rachel and Melissa that problem, but not me. And I like wearing them. Heels - I wear low heels, but I still wear them and if they have the right balance and construction, they are comfortable as any other shoe.

Now, I see women wearing 100% polyester tops/dresses all the time. Those make me sweat like crazy. They make me uncomfortable. But I do not assume they make other women uncomfortable. Wool and mohair makes me itch. Wool and mohair doesn't make everyone itch, and I do not assume that it does.

Even if women are miserable in their clothes, I do not see how you should care, OP.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:38 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
A pretty hostile thread to women, if you ask me.

Women can't win. Some guys start threads about how they don't like women who don't go the whole nine yards and have perfect make-up and dress to attract me, they hate the relaxed, comfortable-clothes types. Another crank starts a thread on how women should relax and dress like hippies. These are pointless discussions. Have women EVER told men how to dress on C-D, unless the men were actively soliciting advice? It seems like it's the OP who need to chill out.

Girls can't win. Women always do.

Cause we wear what we want.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:29 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
I really don't care what others think so I wear what makes ME happy and comfortable. I buy only cotton clothing (casual) because I live in one of the hottest states and can't stand to sweat.

I don't think I look sloppy and I'm not a hippy, but I'm also not a person that has their nose up in the air who thinks if they dress a certain way they are better than others. They aren't. It is who you are INSIDE, not OUTSIDE that makes you a good person.

That's just a personal comment and doesn't represent anyone else.

I think as long as the person is happy with what they are wearing who cares? I don't own sensible shoes, but I will walk all over town all day without complaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty