Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2012, 12:36 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,747,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I dont think that is 100% the doing of men either though. Model shows are overwhelmingly watched by women, style mags bought by women, gossip mags bought by women, womens fashions, make up and fragrance made or signed off on by women......

What is all of that based on? I dont know the exact combination. But I seriously doubt it the general male populace fueling all of that.

As I said, that VS fashion show is watched more by men, i read it in a poll I beleive last year. That's all the men at work talk about the day after. But again, I'm making this up....

Well I didn't mean they are fueling all of it, but most of it, yes. What I see happening is they puts all of this pressure on average women to look a certain way and they do that by going on about how some women look. This causes an immediate reaction for average women to try and keep up with that the demands of these men's fantasies/wants, hence, the "how to satisfy your man in 4 minutes" articles or whatever, sexy clothes, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 12:36 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,791,186 times
Hmm, I wonder how height really affects attraction. If I had an identical twin, same size and build but 8 inches shorter, would she get the same, more, or less attention from men? I have to guess she'd get less. Even if the fashion industry disappeared, I would imagine a lot of men see very tall women as a novelty or something rare to be conquered or checked off their list. I think that alone would mean more attention than you'd get as a shorty, but only because it's something different from the norm. If the average height for women was 5'10 instead of 5'4, I imagine the rare petite woman would be the one getting extra attention at the bar.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:05 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,416,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Hmm, I wonder how height really affects attraction. If I had an identical twin, same size and build but 8 inches shorter, would she get the same, more, or less attention from men? I have to guess she'd get less. Even if the fashion industry disappeared, I would imagine a lot of men see very tall women as a novelty or something rare to be conquered or checked off their list. I think that alone would mean more attention than you'd get as a shorty, but only because it's something different from the norm. If the average height for women was 5'10 instead of 5'4, I imagine the rare petite woman would be the one getting extra attention at the bar.

The thing is, I get just as much attention from women as I do men when I'm out.

My husband always asks "So what comments did you get?" when I return from the ladies room.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:15 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,211,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
This causes an immediate reaction for average women to try and keep up with that the demands of these men's fantasies/wants, hence, the "how to satisfy your man in 4 minutes" articles or whatever, sexy clothes, etc.

Do you think men came up with many of these "womens fashions"? And who is writing that "how to satisfy your man in 4 minutes"?

Yeah, I understand that a good deal of what many women do is "mancentric", but Im wondering how much of it is actually fueled by men, or just an industry that capitalizes on womens insecurities and brainwashes both men and women in to thinking a certain image is ideal, just the same way theyd sell them on toothpaste.

Seriously, just over 100 years ago, plump and stocky women were considered the most attractive body type. Did men some how evolve in to a different species between then and now, or did the media decide that image was "out", just as they decided the hippy, curvy Marilyn Monroe look was "out" about 40 years ago?

Old 06-20-2012, 01:22 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,635,348 times
I have to admit that a lot of men including myself are attracted to Victoria Secret and other super model types but honestly what I notice about these types is that some of them are too thin and and in my opinion the garments they wear don't bring out their best features. Personally I find most supermodels and many Hollywood types pretty faces and somewhat attractive but not exactly what I would consider my ideal type of woman.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:28 PM

62 posts, read 213,030 times
RANDOMDUDE is right on the money!

Old 06-20-2012, 01:34 PM

102,255 posts, read 108,215,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
OK Ruth. Again, I don't know size well, but my ex-girlfriends have been 4-8 (and I thought 8 was too big) in range. But none have been taller than 5'5". You must be very tall.
OK, this makes sense. So you're basically dealing with petites. I'm not "very tall", more what I consider to be average (5'8"), but the feedback I've gotten is that I look best at a size 12. Anything smaller than that, and I lose my curves. Bone structure has something to do with sizing, too, I guess.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:25 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,747,904 times
Quote:
Do you think men came up with many of these "womens fashions"? And who is writing that "how to satisfy your man in 4 minutes"?

Yeah, I understand that a good deal of what many women do is "mancentric", but Im wondering how much of it is actually fueled by men, or just an industry that capitalizes on womens insecurities and brainwashes both men and women in to thinking a certain image is ideal, just the same way theyd sell them on toothpaste.

Seriously, just over 100 years ago, plump and stocky women were considered the most attractive body type. Did men some how evolve in to a different species between then and now, or did the media decide that image was "out", just as they decided the hippy, curvy Marilyn Monroe look was "out" about 40 years ago?

I used to work in women's magazines. I know that women are primarily writing the articles. I never said they weren't. What I said was: these things are of such importance to women because of the pressures men put on women to look a certain way. The women who rarely follow these types of trends and things get criticized, ostracized and ignored by men (and some women) in general. Go look at that weight/dealbreaker thread' and you will see examples what I am talking about. There is a demand for women to look a certain way as decided by men. Once again: What they say online, is NOT what I see IRL. I don't care how many times they "talk" about wanting the "nerdy, no make up girl" over the "hot one."

Believe what you want and I'll do the same.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:32 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,664,232 times
Quote:
From being handed the "friend" card a few times over the years, I can tell you, women have this REALLY bad habit of pursuing and dating the EXACT same type of guy over and over and over again.

They then come to the conclusion that "all men are the same", when really, its just theyve actually never bothered looking for anything different than theyve always had. They never even venture out of the pool.

If you keep dating tatooed biker guy, dont keep being surprised when they slap you around and put you on the corner to make them money.
Hey now... my Dad is a big, tattooed biker guy who has been happily married to my Mother since just out of High School.

Quote:
The thing is, I get just as much attention from women as I do men when I'm out.

My husband always asks "So what comments did you get?" when I return from the ladies room.
Oh, I get PLENTY of attention but it's usually laced with negativity. Last weekend I had a girl come up to me and say 'wow, you're so tall! It must be impossible to get dates!' Or the ever present ' Why do you wear heels?? You're already a giant!'. I laugh and move on, but it seems to me my height (or my boobs) are always a topic of conversation and I seem well-liked, but romantically men simply aren't interested.

I did hit on a 5'2 asian guy last weekend who turned me down flat...haha.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:37 PM

29,764 posts, read 34,480,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I used to work in women's magazines. I know that women are primarily writing the articles. I never said they weren't. What I said was: these things are of such importance to women because of the pressures men put on women to look a certain way. The women who rarely follow these types of trends and things get criticized, ostracized and ignored by men (and some women) in general. Go look at that weight/dealbreaker thread' and you will see examples what I am talking about. There is a demand for women to look a certain way as decided by men. Once again: What they say online, is NOT what I see IRL. I don't care how many times they "talk" about wanting the "nerdy, no make up girl" over the "hot one."

Believe what you want and I'll do the same.
An interesting comparison is when you look at the gay community. With exceptions, of course, gay men wanting to appeal to other men are more body-, weight-, and fashion-conscious than many gay women who wish to appeal to women. If it was just about gender, and the men don't care about looks and women do, the gay men would be universally sloppy and the lesbians would be decked-out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty