Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 02:53 PM

659 posts, read 1,014,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Nothing really wrong with Vuitton. The same sort of people who wear Rolex watches and drive BMWs (or want to) have Vuitton (or want to). Vuitton has it's own lore... was chic among the true elites back when people were traversing the Atlantic on luxury liners. The American Public became aware of it in the 1970s, when the first big Gay novel (Dancer From the Dance) made the Bestseller List. One of the principal characters, a WASP aristocrat, had traveled with his Grandmother's ancient Vuitton luggage (as with Volvos, back then, the older and more beat-up your Vuitton, the more an 'insider' you were judged to be). Suddenly, Country Queens were going on about 'Wee-tawnt' (In Jackson, Mississippi- a place where French is butchered even worse than in New Orleans - they were still carrying-on about LV in the late 80s, when we moved there from college. I'll never forget this giant Mediterranean White creature who'd grown up in Yazoo City, next door to Jerry Clower...and who sounded just like I imagine Jerry Clower's Mama sounded... rushing up to our cringing Decorator at the Deli, gushing on about his new 'Wee-tawnt' finds. "Just in time for my trip to Nantucket!" I'm assuming the trip was a delusion. For the sake of Rhode Islanders, I hope it was all in his head...). Anyway, Sorority Suzies copied their trend-setting gay cousins in collecting LV... and the trend sort of spread downward to the sorority ineligible from there...

To recap: Well-worn Vuitton luggage, like ancient Volvos, once marked a person as being one of the Intelligentsia... WASPy.... Upper Middle Class... From 'good stock'.... New Englandy Well-traveled... "Very Ritz Bar, when in Paris"... But then the general public caught on, and the brand went from being exclusive to being merely expensive.

My current assessment of LV comes from this vignette. Someone who'd done technical drawing for the construction documents for one of our houses came by the building site, wife in-tow. She was from a foreign country. This is a gal who controls her hunky white hubby totally...choosing the cars... taking his money and keeping him on a ridiculous budget (he's gorgeous and nice, and so his life is scrutinized...). Anyway, they'd saved-up to buy one of those retro Mustangs. You know, those awful things that scream "I'm a total piece of scum!"...with the loud mufflers and tacky...well...tacky everything. And Wifey-poo has one of those multicolored LV purses. She seemed surprised, when I qvelled over it, and said I didn't know they made Louis Vuitton in colors, now. My impression from her response is that it was a fake; that she didn't know anything about the lore of the real thing; and that she was simply doing what the rest of her peer group was doing. Her peer group, apparently, also pay extra to have cars with loud mufflers. In my mind, that's where LV stands, in socioeconomic terms, today.

What's worrying me, though, is your friend's buying one of those purses for each of her friends. That's very nice... unless you're being groomed for something. Specifically, I'm worried that maybe...possibly... you're being groomed for 'human trafficking' of some sort. I mean, is this someone you know really well? A thousand bucks isn't what it used to be. Still, that's sort of pricey as a gift...

________

Oh, and in case you're wondering who Jerry Clower was... THIS creature was the next-door neighbor of the creature bragging about his/her new pieces of "Leewie Wee-tawnt". (and that was a quarter-century ago...back when the brand still had a bit of cachet).
Jerry Clower - A Coon Huntin Story - YouTube
Not being groomed for anything, she is just very nice. I met her a year ago and she is just a super nice woman. She takes me out and buys me clothes and misc gifts, gives me jewelry just for friendship and to cheer me up. She said she had breast cancer years ago and I think it changed her maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 03:02 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
My sister had a "friend" like the OPs. She only called here when she wanted free dinner.

I am all for "being nice" and treating your friends, but this friendship seems a little off to me if it revolves around her taking her friends shopping and buying them expensive "tokens of appreciation" all the time.

It sounds very lucrative for her "friends". Isn't it more logical to buy experiences and not clothing to "treat" your friends?

Old 06-26-2012, 03:16 PM

943 posts, read 1,845,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Wow! So the price in 2012 is approximately $15K i'm sure (If not more).

That's a beautiful piece of luggage that I'm sure will last a lifetime, and then some.

not sure about what it would sell for at this time . The person wanted around 20k back then I brought them down in price, it took sometime but they were not selling it and months were passing and they needed the money. I think the key is at times is if you find a seller who is in need of the money or the economy is bad you can get a much better price. Now I have seen them in the past couple of yrs lower price but none of them were the exact inside as mine. oh and ebay always have them up for auction I have seen some sell for much lower. I think it all depends on the economy people need to sell and need the money and people just happen to have the money at the right time

Last edited by =Lavender=; 06-26-2012 at 03:33 PM..

Old 06-26-2012, 04:36 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,655,412 times
In 2003 Louis Vuitton debuted the Multicolore line in black and white. It was a huge success and the one of Marc Jacobs early collaborations with Takashi Murakami. Not my kind of thing but it introduced a whole bunch of newbies to LV.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:44 PM

659 posts, read 1,014,910 times
Birkin bags, who buys this stuff? Apparently enough people.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:04 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
I don't care for lv bags, but I love the steamer trunk. But a Kelly bag? I am so there when I win the lottery. I don't like the birkin bags. I haven't seen a purse I am willing to spend 4 digits on, but mulberry and reed krakow are coming close.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:16 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,655,412 times
Hermes is heaven on earth.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:09 PM

I got one hermes kelly and a birkin and working on a lindy . also have a kelly watch.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:32 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
I paid 12k for it in 2006
I see several of the steamer trunks come up for auction each year (auction houses, not eBay) and they can be purchased for far less (about $4-8k) and are then resold for at least $10k

IMO, LV has become so overrated. When every other woman in the shopping center or grocery store is carrying a LV bag in one form or another its time to pack them away.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I see several of the steamer trunks come up for auction each year (auction houses, not eBay) and they can be purchased for far less (about $4-8k) and are then resold for at least $10k

IMO, LV has become so overrated. When every other woman in the shopping center or grocery store is carrying a LV bag in one form or another its time to pack them away.

yup..... I wanted it at that time in 06 and that was the best find an part of me wishes i waited but I was not sure if it would go down or go up but I am happy i will never sell it and it was exactly what i wanted for my living room.

The purses are all over the place i agree I started using my vintage pierre cardin and Oleg Casini's just to be different.

ohh www.1stdibs.com is a great place to find them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty