Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 09:59 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,944,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I am adult. As such, I don't wear cartoon t-shirts or funny t-shirts or sport team uniform shirts. I wear polo shirts or plain or patterned jersey knit shirts.
I did go through a funny t-shirt phase. It was really short lived, but I still have a couple of shirts in my closet. I find if I wear them, people just think I am 16, so I just had to retire them completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 11:00 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,307,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
I don't dress up for anything. Dressing nicely is just pointless. People who are worth your time should accept you the way your are. I make sure that I don't wear clothes that don't have too many tears of stains.
I am meticulous about my clothing being UNSTAINED. And I wear a lot of plain colors -- frankly, I'm getting tired of looking like a Mennonite, so I'm going to find more patterned tops -- I just like the polos.

For pretty much any stain, I've found that wetting it thoroughly, adding a good dishwashing liquid (not dishwasher stuff -- hand washing dish liquid), rubbing it together well and letting it sit for an hour before laundering pretty much takes out everything with out damage to the fibers. Letting it sit really does the trick -- the degreasing properties of the soap break down the oils in the stain, and they need time to work.

As for tears -- if I can fix them I do, unfixable -- that becomes house clothes. To paint in, to cook in, exercise -- I don't care much about how raggy they get. But if I have to run to the store -- it takes a minute to change into something decent.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:53 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,582,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I liked dressing up, in the formal event sense of dressing up. I like dressing casually. Business casual, however, sucks. The worst clothing choices on the planet.
Is it me ~ or is 'business casual' hard to achieve? I'm never sure exactly what qualifies as business casual. In my workplace - it can run from VERY casual (cargo pants and beat-up sandals) to more dressy (nice capri's with heels); but I never see any women wearing a pansuit, etc. I do see the occasional skirt.

I have a lot of black/tan dress pants and capri's with differnt colored tops. That's how hard I find it to achieve business casual.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:57 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,539,736 times
my SO loves it. i love it. u r not alone. fat people do not like dressing up, fat people love eating. 1/3 of american population is obese.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:27 AM

2,633 posts, read 4,060,836 times
I wouldn't say I miss dressing up (because I dress up once a week), but I find I like dressing up more often than when I was younger, and wish others weren't so casual about almost everything. Ironic, considering I grew up somewhat tomboyish: I didn't dress like a full fleged tomboy, but I wasn't the type to wear skirts or dresses to school--only pants/jeans. I thought skirts and dresses were for church, weddings, family photos, etc. and only wore them when I had to. I thought nothing of wearing my brothers old riders and wranglers. Gradually my fashion sense got better, over time, and I appreciate skirts and dresses more.

These days, my idea of casual is wearing flat shoes/sandals with little or no jewelry. I rarely wear sneakers (only for walking). I prefer patterned blouses to plain Ts, and wear skirts more often. I seem to "out dress" most people around me without really trying. Whenever I try to dress extreme casual (plain Ts, sneakers and jeans) I feel it doesn't flatter me.

I like jeans as much as the next person (I have at least 20+ pairs that I'm purging as I write), but I don't think they work for everything, no matter how "dressy" they look, what material, etc. I realize not everyone enjoys wearing suits, etc. but it seems tacky and classless to go to wine & cheese tasting events in jeans, or to wear a casual skirt and top to a formal wedding. It can't hurt to at least learn to be comfortable, yet dress more appropriate for the occasion.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:22 PM

22,405 posts, read 29,529,040 times
Lets see: Some coworkers and I are hitting Bern's steakhouse tomorrow night. It ain't cheap. I'm dressing correctly and so are they. Lets see how the rest of the crowd looks. I'll keep you posted..

Old 08-13-2012, 08:21 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,582,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
my SO loves it. i love it. u r not alone. fat people do not like dressing up, fat people love eating. 1/3 of american population is obese.
Well, ok. Whatever you say but sounds pretty nasty to me.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:12 PM

114 posts, read 214,627 times
I would like to dress up more than I do. My life style doesn't lend it self well to dressing nice, as I currently live in a desert, I am always walking somewhere because I don't have a car. I tend to kind of ruin my nice clothes because it. The only solution would be to bring nice clothes with me everywhere but that would be a bit of a pain.

I am making a bit more of an effort to dress nicely as I get older. but like on occasions wear a button down shirt, khakis, a blazer, tie and nice shoes. and even a full blown suit on occasions.

but I'm cool with dressing more casual at your job. If you have to be there every day, I think its best to be as comfortable as possible while still looking neat. Still, there should be a certain ettiquete to things.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:45 PM

5,336 posts, read 8,564,364 times
I like dressing nice. I never wear jeans to work, even though I could (workplace has gradually become extremely casual over the years). I prefer dresses and skirts over pants. It doesn't bother me if others want to be casual though.

My last boyfriend almost always wore button down shirts and full length pants, unless he was working out or lounging around the house. I loved that. It was a nice change from most guys these days.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:22 PM

42,000 posts, read 75,350,589 times
I wear dress slacks and jackets or sweaters to work, or church, etc. Everywhere else -- shopping etc. -- you'll find me in fashionable and decent workout clothes.

My first day of work, I asked my boss about the dress code and told her my usual uniform was chinos and a sweater set. She said "You'll be dressed up."

I appreciate the fact that I don't have to wear nylons and suits to work on a daily basis (I do when I'm meeting with donors), but when I look at my co-workers in tank tops with bra straps showing, or thongs hanging out from the tops of pants, or guys in sloppy T-shirts and torn jeans, I think ... huh? If no one here ever saw the public, that would be one thing, but we have vendors, donors, government reps and corporate folk coming in here on a daily basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty