Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 08:07 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,904,464 times

Advertisements

I bought a 100% acrylic sweater-skirt from target a month ago and I have not worn it yet because it's not cold enough/often enough for me to have been inspired to wear this.

I want to know if it will look old quickly. I like the style, it's trendy and I could wear it with a cream cable sweater on top but I will return it if it is something that will look old quickly.

here is a link of it

Mossimo Supply Co. Juniors Sweater Skirt - Assor... : Target

I have the dark grey version
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 04:04 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,096,958 times
It's quite a cute skirt, Pear. But in my experience, acrylic "pills" quickly, (which will make it look old and tired) and isn't very warm. But, you're the boss.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:39 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
When you buy something cheap, trendy, low quality material, you get what you pay for - it'll last through the trend, one season typically.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:08 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,545,128 times
Acrylic knits do not wear well. They usually lose their shape quickly, pill, have an unattractive, artificial gleam, and are of poor quality. It's best to go with natural fibers, e.g., wool, cashmere, cotton, etc. for the best wear and value.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:01 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,904,464 times
thanks everyone.

I STRONGLY prefer natural fibers but I'm in broke student mode so I'm so out of luck. I have been really admiring some of jcrew's fall skirts but they are so out of my budget, I would have to eat beans all month to afford one of them.

I think I'm going to wear the skirt around the house for a day or two with tags and see if it starts showing signs of wear in that time. It's too bad because I figured it would look really cute with a chambray shirt but I can't wear things once they start to look like crap.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:59 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
Then why waste a few good days wearing it around the house?

Old 09-24-2012, 07:21 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
People just don't know how to take care of things. If you really like it...just baby it. Handwash cold/inside out, lay flat to dry.

Any fiber type skirt like that will be prone to snags, distortion and pills. But its a trend piece so does it really matter if only lasts a season? Just keep it, buy an electric pill shaver and call it the day. (stones and strait razors are crap for synthetics, don't use them)

Old 07-24-2017, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 52,942 times
Default Cindy

Wash in Woolite, or generic names, with fabric softener. It should last for a good while.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:15 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greengirl8 View Post
Wash in Woolite, or generic names, with fabric softener. It should last for a good while.
You created a profile to reply to a 5 year old thread? I'm betting the skirt is long gone by now.
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 07-24-2017, 09:16 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I bought an White Stag acrylic sweater last year from the Goodwill. I believe it had not been worn. I treated it carefully; I washed in cold water on delicate and dried it partly on low and then finished air drying it on a hanger. The sweater made it through the season, and I will be able to wear it this coming fall.

What I noticed was that acrylic is not warm, like cotton or wool It is lighter than cotton, of course. And it does not have a soft feel next to my skin. Acrylic will pill, but if you are careful, you can get a season's wear out of your garment.

While it might not shrink, it might fade or pill if washed carelessly.

It really is preferable to take this kind of care with a better quality garment. The sweater I bought fit well and was a beautiful shade of blue. I could use it, so for me it was OK to treat it carefully. If you don't have the time or the equipment to carefully wash the garment, then it might not be worth it to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty