Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 12:36 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,147,558 times

Advertisements

Anyone else dress down, or a bit sloppy?

I dress down -- WAY down. No holes or anything like that. But on work days it's very basic slacks and a step up from a basic T-shirt. I also wear clothes that are too big. (I think I have body image issues. But even if I do they're mine. I've lost weight and still wearing my old sizes for example.)

On days off if I'm not going anywhere but to the store I might wear a T-shirt with a slight stain on it. Oo I'll wear paints that have a paint stain or two. (Edited to add: most times I also don't lift the boobies up as much as I could )

I have a friend who dresses nice at all times. After knowing her for some 20 years -- she still just can't get that I don't care about clothes or how I look in them. Once a week she slips in a comment about my pants being too big, or me looking sloppy or not professional. We'll make plans to go out -- and she'll say "make" sure you look nice. She once said that about an event and I was the one who was planning it. She's all into looking nice when you go into a store...."don't who care who they'll treat you?"

I DO know when I NEED to dress and when I don't. Clearly, it's a suit to a job interview, or dress nice for a wedding /funeral etc. But day to day...I could care less.

Last edited by selhars; 10-28-2012 at 01:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 12:57 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,280,891 times
I have house clothes. These are clothes that are stained or damaged, but not so much they are relegated to the rag bag. I wear house clothes around the house. If I go out, I change. I keep it simple -- jeans and a polo. It's not dressing up by any stretch of the imagination When I get home, back into the house clothes.

I'm a bit of a sloppy cook, so the house clothes save my good clothes longer.

And there's one ratty ratty t shirt that is my hair dying shirt. That should be relegated to the rag bag, but I need something awful to wear that I REALLY don't care about when I dye my hair

Old 10-28-2012, 01:11 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,504,382 times
I'm retired. There is no down. Then again, there is no up. There are just clothes and I wear what I want. It's a rough life but someone has to live it.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:14 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,955,482 times
I dress sloppy when I go to the gym.

I wear scrubs for work and I feel sloppy in them; they look like pajamas.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:43 PM

24,521 posts, read 17,271,978 times
You should wear what makes you feel comfortable at home but don't look like a slob when you go out. It drives me nutz to see people dressed so down they look like hobos, or they just climbed out of bed or the very worse girls that wear clothes way to tight and their fat bulges out and on the flip side boys that wear their clothes so loose their butts hang out. STUPID.
I drive my wife crazy when I wear old clothes to work in the yard but hey I'm in the garden in the dirt and sweating up a storm why wear nice clothes? I do always dress appropriatly whenever I go out.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:40 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,014,164 times
Once I'm off the clock, I'm look like a hobo.

I love oversized shirts and baggy sweats. If I go out, it's jeans and tees. For a date I'll go girly, though.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:27 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,910,431 times
I don't really go sloppy unless for some reason I need to go housepainting or something.

To be honest, I feel like dressing in ill-fitting clothes makes me feel unconfident so I try to avoid that feeling like the plague.

Slacker days for me are jeggings and a fitted t-shirt (and/or a fitted hoodie or sweatshirt) or a sweater and leggings or leggings and a tunic. Or a knit dress. And more casual shoes. Sometimes. Like my pumas. Or casual round toe flats.

Semi-dressed up: jeans or jeggings with a nicer top and a cardigan. And nicer shoes. Or a nicer dress (with more structure or better fit). Or a skirt (I do have more casual knit skirts too).

Recently I have been looking for gym clothes that better reflected my style. Those free t-shirts were too hot for me to wear. And usually white and I only have enough white clothes for a load of laundry twice a year, so it was a pain. So I have loaded up on tanks and tops from old navy, gap, and target to use for workouts. They are more open at the neckline, and have the side benefit of looking cuter.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:54 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,277,006 times
I mostly dress for circumstances. If it's cold, (and I don't have central heating) I pour on the layers topped off by a fluff lined jacket with a hood. I wear boots most of the time since, one, I love boots with it being more an obsession and don't have regular shoes, two, feet getting cold problems, resulting in crams, and three, I just like how they feel. My furry lined bearpaws even got used in the summer outside in the dead and spiky twigs of grass.

I have a huge supply of tanks and more 'fashionable' type tanks which get worn all year round. If its got paint spatteed on it it can be the first layer even if dressing 'up'. I like jeans that are just a little loose, and they are worn until they die and get parted out. Dress up is more on the casual side. I have one floor length skirt I've worn in three, four years.

I don't actually see any point to 'fashion' but if its someone's thing fine. I don't like 'fashion' being called on people who don't follow it. We get to pick how we dress.

Ideal outfit for summer.... tank or thin strapped top which has straps meeting in the back. Jeans, and if I must sandals. I've been known to wear boots then too, especially the lace up suade with fringe, just not furry. Makeup, once in a LONG while.

midrange. Boots with jeans, boots knee high and of course tucked in. ONLY flats. 'Hip hugger' jeans. Same jeans all year around, with varying layers under them. Tank, another layer to make up the difference, from a thermal shirt to a tee like one.

cold. Layers and layers and layers. And a long jacket. I live in them when its cold.

Since I moved to where this isn't unusual, the other stuff barely gets pulled out. But even in socal (one of my neighbors asked if I did a lot of camping lol) I dressed the same.

I just dress as me. If its not your thing, fine, you know and you can move on.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:47 PM

571 posts, read 1,202,079 times
I love dressing down, but looking nice. I look at it as a whole other side of fashion: dressing for comfort and still knowing what looks good on you. But, I love fashion, so it doesn't feel like work at all to me.

That being said, I never think others should focus on fashion if it's not their thing. If it feels like too much work, don't give it a second thought.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:49 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,321,370 times
Yup. Always. I've got about 3 pair of cargo shorts that I cycle through and typically wear one of my t-shirts. My 5-finger shoes are just about my only wardrobe item that cost over $20.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty