Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 06:36 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,907,527 times

Advertisements

Also, to reply to the people saying the photos of roots in the OP may be natural, I have to say there is no way.

I have worked in a preschool where there is an abudance of natural blonde children and none of them have brown roots that turn into light blonde hair.

Natural platinum hair comes out of the scalp platinum and the these kids look almost albino in terms of skin tone with icey blue eyes. Only if the roots are dark blonde and the ends (from the ear down) are light blonde, that is the only natural rootyness I have witnessed.

There was one young girl with medium warm brown hair who had so many beautiful gold and caramel highlights in the summer from the sun. I wanted to bring her in to my stylist and tell them to copy her hair!

Also, when it comes to base color and highlights...people don't naturally have even light brown bases with half of their head blonde. In lighthaired children they will have a light colored base with maybe only 3-8, thin yet visible highlights that are only 1-2 and rarely 3 levels lighter than the natural base.

Yes, I'm hair nerd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 07:02 PM

Here is what natural blonde hair looks like:

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thin...RBOX962109.jpg

http://www.sxc.hu/pic/m/m/ma/maxmill...lemonade_1.jpg

if you live in a climate that gets cold and dark in the winter than natural blonde hair will darken in the new growth root area but it will still be a shade of blonde.

I have never seen a child with hair like this:

http://thefashionatetraveller.com/wp...ombre_hair.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-guTdRU3Q1b...%2Bco%2Buk.jpg

http://www.allure.com/images/hair-id...out-blonde.jpg

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-21-2012 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: Posting copyrighted photos is a TOS violation

Old 12-20-2012, 07:04 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Some changes in hair come later in life, especially around puberty. How many people have you known who were born blond and slowly turned dark over the years? I remember discussing this with a classmate when we were around 8 or 9 and she told me that her hair grew in dark and lightened as it was exposed to the sun.

Now the models probably have dyed hair, but it can be natural.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:05 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Natural blondes look like this, too. Note the dark roots.

http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/48892...l_blond_te.jpg

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-21-2012 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: Posting copyrighted photos is a TOS violation

Old 12-20-2012, 07:27 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,658,747 times
Pear Martini, I went to school with an entire family of blondes that had dark roots. Quite dark. And while they aren't all over the place, I have seen a few since.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:32 PM

^^^interesting. I have never seen this but I'll take your word for it.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:18 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,021,497 times
I know natural dark blondes/very light brunettes where the hair that has had more sun exposure is lighter. No, it's not as extreme as the model pics, but there is a definite contrast.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:42 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,586 times
Sometimes you have choice but to have your roots showing. My hair dresser is booked until Jan 7th. I'll have to show my roots until then.

Those models are gorgeous and can pull it off!

Old 12-21-2012, 11:41 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Also, to reply to the people saying the photos of roots in the OP may be natural, I have to say there is no way.

I have worked in a preschool where there is an abudance of natural blonde children and none of them have brown roots that turn into light blonde hair.

Natural platinum hair comes out of the scalp platinum and the these kids look almost albino in terms of skin tone with icey blue eyes. Only if the roots are dark blonde and the ends (from the ear down) are light blonde, that is the only natural rootyness I have witnessed.

There was one young girl with medium warm brown hair who had so many beautiful gold and caramel highlights in the summer from the sun. I wanted to bring her in to my stylist and tell them to copy her hair!

Also, when it comes to base color and highlights...people don't naturally have even light brown bases with half of their head blonde. In lighthaired children they will have a light colored base with maybe only 3-8, thin yet visible highlights that are only 1-2 and rarely 3 levels lighter than the natural base.

Yes, I'm hair nerd.
Those are babies. I was full blonde like that till erm...maybe 1st grade. Then my plat. blonde turned more golden.

It kept getting darker as I got older. If I stay out of the sun/pale = dark brown. Sun/tan = golden blonde.

I am also one of those freaky brown eyed blondes.
LOL

Old 12-21-2012, 11:55 AM

283 posts, read 508,272 times
Well, those pics aren't really of "roots showing." Instead, just some stands of the hair were left-uncolored so as to give a highlighted, multi-color effect. It's different.
I think of "roots-showing" is when you can only see the natural color right at the scalp--maybe a half-inch or so up the hair stand--because they newer, natural color hair has grown that much.
That is unintentional be the wearer, and means she has to hurry-up and re-dye.
What you see in those pics is far different: a deliberate dyeing technique. It's en vogue now as part of that whole "dirty pixie" "trashy angel" deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty