Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2013, 09:37 AM

857 posts, read 976,208 times

Advertisements

Here's a 70 yr old
Attached Thumbnails
At which age do women start losing their looks?-topics_deneuve_190.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 09:40 AM

167 posts, read 278,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I think a lot of women in their 40s and 50s look BETTER than their daughters.

Women in the 40s and 50s, came of age in the 1980s: aerobics, decade of fitness and the gym. Keeping it tight. Appropriate use of makeup and hair color.
Women in their late teens and early 20s: Grungy, eating pizza in front of a TV or computer. jeans and flip flops.
Where do you live? Not in my part of the country!! women here in there 40/50's are in the middle of mental pause with 100 lbs of extra fat and frumpy looking faces. Yet even those women still have unrealistic expectations and think they deserve GQ men. It funny as hell.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:49 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,543,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad4143 View Post
Where do you live? Not in my part of the country!! women here in there 40/50's are in the middle of mental pause with 100 lbs of extra fat and frumpy looking faces. Yet even those women still have unrealistic expectations and think they deserve GQ men. It funny as hell.
This 56 yr old is just falling apart

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 06:33 PM..

Old 03-23-2013, 10:07 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,461,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunny View Post
And a similar question: at which age do they start to look older, but in a bad way?
For shallow folks with complex issues, it will be much earlier than those that are "happy, grounded and focused on more important issues in their lives with meaning".....

Old 03-23-2013, 12:21 PM

102,224 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad4143 View Post
You need to move. Everywhere I've lived, the women are as Charles describes. Except a lot of the 20-something women look good, too.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:25 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,424,180 times
I didn't have time to read all the responses on this thread, but I have just one question: At what age do (certain) women lose their smarts?

Old 03-23-2013, 12:40 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,167,729 times
By "losing their looks" most people mean "looking older."
The assumption is that, once women start "looking older" they've become unattractive.

Even some of the posts here praising how older women look use terms like "looks better than women half her age" or "looks xx years younger" than her actual age.

I've always said I'd want to look whatever my age is, but good. And more importantly, healthy.
I am 55 and under no illusion that I look 25, nor do I want to look 25 again. I still feel attractive and sexy, just in an age-appropriate way. And it bothers me not one whit if a 30-something year old guy (or woman) considers me too old to be attractive.

That's one of the nice things about getting older. I no longer stress about, or even care about, about how cute I look to other people. I've learned to define myself differently than just how I appear to others.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:05 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,516,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I haven't experienced the "bizarre gut" you are referring to. As for facial hair, yes, I have to admit that there are a few chin hairs going on - but nothing that an occasional tweezer session doesn't take care of quite quickly and neatly. Not a significant issue, though of course I'd rather do without them.

As for looking like a man more than a woman, errrrr...no way. Frankly, that's a ridiculous claim.

This is just what I have noticed with my friends my age and myself. I don't mean totally looking like a man but our figure begins to less like a woman due to the loss of estrogen. Hips are not as rounded or our torso are not as defined anymore as in the hourglass shape. This is something my friends and I been discussing with each other over the past few years as these changes take place. So it's not a ridiculous claim at all, and I am very glad you haven't experienced it. I took another glance at your profile pic and it's obvious that you are a very beautiful young looking woman and like I said, I am so glad you are not experiencing any of these. As I am sure many other women aren't either because it's been noted on this thread that all of us ladies go through menopause at varying degrees. But sadly, some of us are.

I can't speak for others, but this has certainly not been an issue for me at all. I've been doing Kegel exercises, which have been on the front of just about every other issue of Cosmo for the past 30 years, since I was 20 years old. This has probably helped. By the way, this falls under the broad category of "taking care of oneself" and "staying in shape." At least in my book!

You're kidding, right? Please say yes!

I am in my fifties, as are many of my friends. This scenario is ridiculous!

Kegel's with the tinkling issue probably do help but I'd don't do them regularly. And I am not kidding on any of these issues either. Like I said it's what been discussed and laughed about around the table with my friends and I for years now. Plus I've received a lot of rep comments on CD about this agreeing with me. So no this scenario is not ridiculous, maybe your friends are not as open with discussing these issues as mine are. My friends are very active and some are even marathon runners so they do take care of themselves by the way.

My mother is in her seventies, and I can honestly say (with some amazement now that I think about it) that I have actually never heard her "pass gas."

Hopefully I got her genes. So far so good! You are what you eat, right!
Hopefully yes you won't, and I hope I don't end up with this one either. My poor mother has always been a very ladylike woman who was grossed out by these things and therefore was aghast when it started happening to her. She also eats very healthy with lots of greens and lean meats and very little or no sugars in her diet. Plus beans are not in her diet either since my father is a diabetic and beans are taboo for those folks - which I am also. So it's not like she eats bad foods.

I only wanted to describe some of the things that might happen to a woman as her body ages. My aim was not to offend anyone. I was just being honest and used humor as a way of buffering some of the not so lovely side effects of aging. Honesty is the best policy in my book so it can comfort those who are going through the same things or will go through them. It's good for people to know they are not all alone in situations

Last edited by GINGERSNAP1963; 03-23-2013 at 01:25 PM..

Old 03-23-2013, 01:12 PM

102,224 posts, read 107,999,816 times
This is what baby-faced women look like in their 50's

Christie Brinkley | Christie Brinkley Picture #23654793 - 440 x 700 - FanPix.Net

Old 03-23-2013, 01:43 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,516,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is what baby-faced women look like in their 50's

Christie Brinkley | Christie Brinkley Picture #23654793 - 440 x 700 - FanPix.Net
Oh that woman is so gorgeous and does not look her age at all, plus she seems so down to Earth and sweet. I saw a show where they were interviewing some of the older supermodels, most looked great, but they said it was sad that at a party where they were all together, not all of them had though. It's all a matter of taking care of ourselves with proper diets and healthy active lifestyles. Yet, our genes can play a huge roll in it, but mostly if we do not take care of ourselves. As someone posted on this thread sometimes 20 year old's don't take care of themselves and age way beyond their time. But many us ladies on here I've noticed are not going to let that happen, we are bound and determined to take care of ourselves for ourselves and any onlookers too so that 60 years of age can be the new 30. Just think how far we've come with our new knowledge about health issues so that we are able to do this in relation to our grandmother's time. Our daughters and granddaughters, hopefully, will have even more knowledge to use so that their own lives can be exciting, adventurous, and sexy well into their 70's and 80's, well, as ours can be too!!!!

My biggest gripe is that my heart is still so young and wants so many things, but my body is beginning to show signs of age. That said, I'm not going to go down with the ship, I'm going to salvage this ship and keep it new and fresh looking so that the age of my body is in correlation to my young heart.

And to Kathy who mentioned Kegals, I'm doing them right now as I type baby! Thanks for reminding me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty