Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2013, 10:41 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GINGERSNAP1963 View Post
Yes this is true. My mother, who did smoke up until four years ago, is now 72 and looks only a few years older than me. She doesn't look like what you might think the typical 72 year old woman should. My grandmother, who smoked up until her death at 80 or 81, never looked older than 50 or 55 in her older years. She started looking maybe 60 right before she died of colon cancer though, but I think that was from the pain and dramatic loss of weight at the time. In fact, she was still dying her hair to her previously natural red color and it didn't look ridiculous. You know how some, (men and women both,) try to keep their previous natural color with dyes and yet it looks odd because their face doesn't match the youth of their hair color? Well my grandmother had so few wrinkles, barely any actually, it still appeared natural on her.

So yes, genetics can play a huge role in how you are going to age. However all that said, beauty is still in the eyes of the beholder and most likely the men you'll date or the man you're married to at the age is not going to look any different than you, unless he's much younger or a lot older. Furthermore, once you are older you'll most likely not want to date younger men because your body will have made some drastic and usually quite embarrassing changes.

Here's a list of what I have noticed and what I've been told by older women will happen as you age:

late 40's - a bizarre gut begins to develop that goes from the bottom of your breasts down to your abdomen. It looks very similar to a beer belly on a man. This is from the loss of estrogen in your body, which will also lead to facial hair - yes facial hair even on light haired women. I'm not talking just a mustache either - chin hair!!!! That's why it's called the change of life, you'll go from looking mostly like a woman to closer to looking like a man in just a short period of time.

The late 40's you will also begin to loose some control over your bladder so watch funny movies in the privacy of your own home so you don't have to walk out of the theater with pee pee pants.

In your 50's this bladder control will worsen. Long trips will have to be done via RV - and that's why you see so many older couples with motor homes - they have toilets. Either that or you'll have to teach your husband to actually stop when you say, "Darn it Herb, I said stop the car right now!" This can occur anywhere along the road or busy highway too. Don't worry though, the cars passing by will only think it's a teenager mooning them and not a 50 some year old women peeing on the side of the road, which you will have to do because you won't be able to hold it in to make it to the woods or any other cover nearby.

Then the 60's - according to my mother and others, will be bringing something to your life even more embarrassing then peeing on yourself in public. This is when the flatulence starts but again, don't worry you can blame the sound or smell or both on your husband if you're in a public place and he won't care because he will not be able to hear what you told them anyway.
Not true, I'm in my 60's and have none of those. My boobs were always small, so they're just not perky anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 12:55 AM

650 posts, read 702,117 times
With or without the carcinogenic hair dye and the three pounds of carcinogenic makeup on?

Old 03-23-2013, 02:24 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
Women can't be attractive without wrinkles or grey hair?

Old 03-23-2013, 03:12 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,399,139 times
What it means to be attractive, pleasing others? or..?, beauty is an idealization of the shapes and forms of contents, it has no sex and no age, the old motto " is nice what you love is always valid " if we talk about the beauty ..but if the op using the word - look - meaning how long a woman is desirable ( until the dust has settle down, Tony said.. but he is an old mad-man a real crazy horse ) then the speech is completely different and women are aware of this reality..so..they do not talk about this naughty stuff easily...

Old 03-23-2013, 07:14 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GINGERSNAP1963 View Post

Here's a list of what I have noticed and what I've been told by older women will happen as you age:
Quote:
ate 40's - a bizarre gut begins to develop that goes from the bottom of your breasts down to your abdomen. It looks very similar to a beer belly on a man. This is from the loss of estrogen in your body, which will also lead to facial hair - yes facial hair even on light haired women. I'm not talking just a mustache either - chin hair!!!! That's why it's called the change of life, you'll go from looking mostly like a woman to closer to looking like a man in just a short period of time.
I haven't experienced the "bizarre gut" you are referring to. As for facial hair, yes, I have to admit that there are a few chin hairs going on - but nothing that an occasional tweezer session doesn't take care of quite quickly and neatly. Not a significant issue, though of course I'd rather do without them.

As for looking like a man more than a woman, errrrr...no way. Frankly, that's a ridiculous claim.

Quote:
The late 40's you will also begin to loose some control over your bladder so watch funny movies in the privacy of your own home so you don't have to walk out of the theater with pee pee pants.
I can't speak for others, but this has certainly not been an issue for me at all. I've been doing Kegel exercises, which have been on the front of just about every other issue of Cosmo for the past 30 years, since I was 20 years old. This has probably helped. By the way, this falls under the broad category of "taking care of oneself" and "staying in shape." At least in my book!

Quote:
In your 50's this bladder control will worsen. Long trips will have to be done via RV - and that's why you see so many older couples with motor homes - they have toilets. Either that or you'll have to teach your husband to actually stop when you say, "Darn it Herb, I said stop the car right now!" This can occur anywhere along the road or busy highway too. Don't worry though, the cars passing by will only think it's a teenager mooning them and not a 50 some year old women peeing on the side of the road, which you will have to do because you won't be able to hold it in to make it to the woods or any other cover nearby.
You're kidding, right? Please say yes!

I am in my fifties, as are many of my friends. This scenario is ridiculous!

Quote:
Then the 60's - according to my mother and others, will be bringing something to your life even more embarrassing then peeing on yourself in public. This is when the flatulence starts but again, don't worry you can blame the sound or smell or both on your husband if you're in a public place and he won't care because he will not be able to hear what you told them anyway.
My mother is in her seventies, and I can honestly say (with some amazement now that I think about it) that I have actually never heard her "pass gas."

Hopefully I got her genes. So far so good! You are what you eat, right!

Old 03-23-2013, 07:17 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Great posts overall, Gingersnap. I would only add that the gut thing really depends on the individual. I've known women who have gone through menopause and still have very young-looking bodies. Other women seem to balloon overnight. And still others experience a more gradual change. It's so different for everyone! Some women experience severe insomnia when their hormones crash at menopause (which can occur anytime between 40 (though usually later) and 60). Others barely notice any change at all at menopause, no change in appearance, not much change in energy. Everyone says they have to be a lot more careful of what they eat, though, because weight gain becomes easier after the hormonal balance changes, and weight loss becomes more difficult.
I agree with this post.

The biggest difference I've seen after menopause (as I've mentioned, I LOST WEIGHT after menopause), is that I do have to eat less to maintain my weight, now that my hormones have settled down after a couple of years of fluctuation. Not significantly less, but I can't eat like I could when I was in my twenties and thirties. Of course, I was running after four kids and lived on the fourth floor of an apartment building (with no elevator) and the laundry room was in the basement - oh, and I lived in Europe where you walk EVERYWHERE or ride a bike...that might have had something to do with my caloric burn...

Old 03-23-2013, 08:29 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
The old adage, "Beauty if in the eye of the beholder" is very true.

That being said, to me I see inner beauty more than outer beauty. I know ladies in their 20s who are arrogant and rude and no matter how 'pretty' their face may be, to me they are not pretty at all. I know gals in their golden years who are beautiful inside and that makes them beautiful on the outside.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:13 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
This is what 56 looks like to me

Old 03-23-2013, 09:20 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
This is what 79 looks like to me

Old 03-23-2013, 09:36 AM

857 posts, read 975,845 times
This is what 79 can look like.

Last edited by kris; 01-10-2014 at 12:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty