Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 09:20 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,776,513 times

Advertisements

Do you think fashion was better in the 80s, the 90s, or nowadays?

The way I see it:

80s fashion pro: Few tattoos or piercings aside from the ear, fashion was very creative, there were still traces of formality, people wore clothes that fit. And nice colors for the most part.

80s fashion con: Some horrible hairstyles, huge glasses, some ridiculously old-fashioned and frilly dresses, handlebar mustaches.

90s fashion pro: Tattoos if becoming common weren't ridiculous like now, no gauge ear piercings, some of the women's fashion was quite cute, and there was relatively little conformism.

90s fashion con: Backwards baseball caps, fashion was often painfully plain, saggy pants debuted, fashion was becoming "sluttier"

Today's fashion pro: Probably the best looking clothing out of the three, fashion doesn't seem as slutty as it did in the 00s, nice colors, clothes fit again. A good balance of hairstyle, not super straight like late 90s hair but not the poodleishness of the 80s either.

Today's fashion con: Tattoos are becoming ridiculous, people who would have been considered bikers or bulldykes 10 years are just sporting the "normal" look now. Nothing sucks more than a beautiful woman who ruins herself by covering her entire body in tattoos. Piercings have become more extreme too, with those huge holes in people's ears. What's next, cutting your arms off as a fashion statement?

I think I'd probably go with the 90s overall actually. Bland as they were, the pros and cons weren't as extreme on either end. Fashion was kind of dull but overall looked pretty decent. The early 90s were hardly bland either. It was more 1995 onwards that had no character.

The best 10s fashion blows away the 80s and 90s' best offerings though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 11:03 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,823,786 times
The best fashion out of the choices given is the present one by far. It is more elegant, tasteful and traditional. The materials are better and everything is more tailored. The previous styles were baggy and ghetto for the men, and slutty and trashy for the women. Todays fashion is also pretty diverse there are a lot of hairstyles and clothing styles to choose from and they all look good. You can go preppy (Ralph Lauren, Brooks Brothers, J Crew, Vineyard Vines, and Banana Republic), hipster without going to extreme (Express, H&M and American Apparel), modern european (Hugo Boss, Burberry, and Armani) elegant (Gucci and Christian Dior), beach/island (Tommy Bahama and Vineyard Vines), athletic (Nike, Puma, Adidas) or a tasteful mix.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:23 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,776,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
The best fashion out of the choices given is the present one by far. It is more elegant, tasteful and traditional. The materials are better and everything is more tailored. The previous styles were baggy and ghetto for the men, and slutty and trashy for the women. Todays fashion is also pretty diverse there are a lot of hairstyles and clothing styles to choose from and they all look good. You can go preppy (Ralph Lauren, Brooks Brothers, J Crew, Vineyard Vines, and Banana Republic), hipster without going to extreme (Express, H&M and American Apparel), modern european (Hugo Boss, Burberry, and Armani) elegant (Gucci and Christian Dior), beach/island (Tommy Bahama and Vineyard Vines), athletic (Nike, Puma, Adidas) or a tasteful mix.
Yes there's definitely more choice now. Even in the '90s, kids' clothing for example mostly looked the same despite the existence of Gap Kids and Baby Gap. Lots of overalls and stripes and that kinda thing.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:58 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
The 80s. I miss those huge shoulder pads that balanced out my hips. LOL

Old 04-29-2013, 05:06 PM

300 posts, read 639,141 times
What's wrong with backwards hats? I'm a inner city person, I'm hate the sagging pants, its disgusting but backwards hat is a fashion statement. 90's were cool fashion wise, we'd go out, hat backwards, sports jersey or a white/black plain t shirt, loose fit jeans and we were balling!

Old 04-30-2013, 05:19 AM

87 posts, read 134,614 times
nothing can replace the time 80's fashion... wat say guys?

Old 04-30-2013, 11:03 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,174,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Revival View Post
What's wrong with backwards hats? I'm a inner city person, I'm hate the sagging pants, its disgusting but backwards hat is a fashion statement. 90's were cool fashion wise, we'd go out, hat backwards, sports jersey or a white/black plain t shirt, loose fit jeans and we were balling!

Wearing your baseball cap backwards is silly.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:43 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Wearing your baseball cap backwards is silly.
why is it silly? It looks good on some guys.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:44 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,838 times
To answer the OPs question. I'll take todays fashion, followed by the 90s with the 80s being a distant third.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:04 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
I miss the prep fashion of the 80's. Plus the women were not all marked up. I like a blank canvas when I paint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty