Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 10:54 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hahaha, same here. I wear a size 11 shoe (my daughter is only a 9). Being 6'1" and wearing a size 11 shoe kind of puts you off fashion because there's nothing much out there for people like me. I can't stroll into any store and buy a business suit/jacket/slacks--not even in NYC, where I work--the only tall store that existed there closed some years ago. I can only order clothing online.

Kind of kills your interest in fashion when nothing is made for you. Or when someone comes up with this brilliant idea to make all the dresses empire-waisted so you look like a giant baby. But, I digress...

I envy 11s. I feel like everything goes up to an 11 nowadays.

And I hear ya' about shopping in actual stores. They tend to be a waste of my time. I've been doing my shopping online for 15 years and it was primarily catalogs prior to that. Surprisingly, that hasn't deterred my interest in fashion.

In regards to your daughter, classic black or nude CL pumps would always be useful and appreciated. Saint Laurent's Tribute Two pumps and Tribute sandals are also worth looking into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 11:04 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I envy 11s. I feel like everything goes up to an 11 nowadays.

And I hear ya' about shopping in actual stores. They tend to be a waste of my time. I've been doing my shopping online for 15 years and it was primarily catalogs prior to that. Surprisingly, that hasn't deterred my interest in fashion.

In regards to your daughter, classic black or nude CL pumps would always be useful and appreciated. Saint Laurent's Tribute Two pumps and Tribute sandals are also worth looking into.
Thank you, I'll look at them, too. I just really liked the idea of red shoes. I know she saw a pair of red high-heeled pumps she liked once, and it stuck with me. You are correct--black or nude would be much more practical.

I like to look nice at work, and since I'm so tall, dressing in classic-type suits/jackets and slacks works for me. I once knew a big woman, almost as tall as I was and bigger-boned who always wore frilly blouses and girlish prints, and she looked silly to me, like a Baby Huey. I never want to be seen that way. I'm into scarves lately--they can dress up an outfit AND hide the giant nodules on my thyroid at the same time, hehehe.

I wore a size 10 shoe until I had my daughter. I am of Dutch descent, and we are tall people. When I was still a size ten, I was at a family baby shower, and one of my cousins looked down at my feet and said, "What size shoe do you wear?" I told her ten, and she said, "How did you end up with such small feet?" Only at my family gathering would a size 10 foot be considered small!

For some reason, my daughter turned out to be a relative midget. She is only 5'8" and wears a size 9 shoe. Her father is 6'4", but his mom was only 5'2", so maybe that's why. She wears a size 4, but she had a hard time finding clothes and shoes when she was at school in China.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:29 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Nah -- I'd go with red -- that pop of color really helps a suit.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:17 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,430,247 times
You could take a look here, have a friend who orders from this site all the time

Christian Louboutin Shoes - Christian Louboutin Outlet Mall

Old 05-02-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
You could take a look here, have a friend who orders from this site all the time

Something tells me those shoes are not authentic, especially given their return policy: All Sales Are Final.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:09 PM

117 posts, read 246,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Rivers Cutie View Post
giuseppe zanotti?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Rivers Cutie View Post
Jimmy Choo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
Manolo Blahnik

Not sure I would consider Steve Madden high end.
All these brands are just as expensive if not more than Louboutins (Giuseppe's are often more expensive). I like them all, but for a nice brand that is not as expensive but also not totally cheap (i.e. Steve Madden), I would recommend Stuart Weitzman (usually $200-400 for heels). Sometimes you may find some Delman's on the lower end of $300. I am a fan of Delman's too. I don't like Cole Haan's, but they are nicer than Steve Madden's but much cheaper than designer shoes.

Here's a list from more expensive to least: Delman, Stuart Weitzman, Charles David or Via Spiga, Cole Haan, Pour la Victoire (often on sale), Seychelle's.

I think you should specify some expensive designer or looks (or post pics) of shoes that you do like, so that we can help you better..

Old 05-03-2013, 12:21 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post

Your friend is buying fake shoes. There's no way in HELL those shoes would ever be sold in Outlet. Come on now

Old 05-03-2013, 01:44 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soci3tycat View Post
All these brands are just as expensive if not more than Louboutins (Giuseppe's are often more expensive). I like them all, but for a nice brand that is not as expensive but also not totally cheap (i.e. Steve Madden), I would recommend Stuart Weitzman (usually $200-400 for heels). Sometimes you may find some Delman's on the lower end of $300. I am a fan of Delman's too. I don't like Cole Haan's, but they are nicer than Steve Madden's but much cheaper than designer shoes.

Here's a list from more expensive to least: Delman, Stuart Weitzman, Charles David or Via Spiga, Cole Haan, Pour la Victoire (often on sale), Seychelle's.

I think you should specify some expensive designer or looks (or post pics) of shoes that you do like, so that we can help you better..
Thanks for the suggestions above. I will look up those names

I was thinking high-heeled pumps, probably red. I certainly do not wear high heels myself, lol. I'd be in danger of being decapitated by a ceiling fan. Besides, I wear a size 11. The shoe industry, like the rest of the fashion industry, gives women like me very limited choices compared to regular people, so I'm not really up on who the popular designers are. They are irrelevant since nothing they design is designed to fit ME. It's my daughter who would appreciate them.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions above. I will look up those names

I was thinking high-heeled pumps, probably red. I certainly do not wear high heels myself, lol. I'd be in danger of being decapitated by a ceiling fan. Besides, I wear a size 11. The shoe industry, like the rest of the fashion industry, gives women like me very limited choices compared to regular people, so I'm not really up on who the popular designers are. They are irrelevant since nothing they design is designed to fit ME. It's my daughter who would appreciate them.

I'm 6'1", a size 12 shoe (EU 42) and LOVE Zanotti.

I have my fair share of purple boxes (Weitzman - I must own at least 30 pairs of his boots, heels & sandals), but they're not the same as my Guccis, Zanottis or Atwoods. If Saint Laurent made theirs true to size, I'd own closet full by now.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:18 PM

765 posts, read 2,441,233 times
Quote:
The problem is that I am a fashion tard. I saw the movie The Devil Wears Prada without ever having heard of Prada. I didn't know who Versace was until he was murdered. My daughter has always been the complete opposite of me--if I didn't work in the business world, I'd be in leggings or jeans all the time. She loves fashion and accessories and could have a much better conversation on this forum that I ever could, and I thought that a nice pair of designer shoes--something she would not be able to buy for herself at this time but would truly appreciate--would be a gift that would truly show how proud I am of her.
AND what happens if you buy her a pair of the Louies - and she doesn't really like them, and 1. returns them OR 2. doesn't wear them?

PLEASE do her a BIG favor and tell her that what you pick out is your taste - not her taste and your feelings won't be hurt if she exchanges them (only she'll be on the hook for the extra $200-300 for the pair she actually wants).

I have 2 college aged daughters who LOVE all things fashionable and expensive. EVERY gift I buy them comes with the standard - "I don't mind if you take it back to get what you want". I'm lucky that one loves all things Michael Kors and the other all things Tory Burch. The Tory girl's dream is to get married in a pair of Louies - and she has picked out a LV purse $900 for her college graduation gift. (no judgement for me either - thanks!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty