Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 04:09 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times

Advertisements

I have not read all the thread, but I agree with the OP. I am in my 60s. I was raised in NE and we dressed up in high heels and gloves to go to church, or downtown to go shopping. Fast forward to the 70's and 80's when we still dressed up to go out to dinner. Then I moved to a more rural area in the 90's, and I noticed that dressing up was out of "fashion". In the country in the 90s, dressing up meant a theme appliqued sweatshirt.
Now, I live in the deep south. I think dressing up is a little more prevalent here.
I guess there is a happy medium between white gloves and pumpkin appliqued sweatshirts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 04:14 AM

29 posts, read 53,403 times
What I don't understand is people dressing like slobs to nice restaurants??? We went to Ruth Chris for our anniversary one year on New Years Eve. I wore a goregeous floor length dress and him a suit. People were there in flip flops and shorts..I mean really??

Old 05-22-2013, 06:23 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax75 View Post
What I don't understand is people dressing like slobs to nice restaurants??? We went to Ruth Chris for our anniversary one year on New Years Eve. I wore a goregeous floor length dress and him a suit. People were there in flip flops and shorts..I mean really??
It is too bad when a lack of decorum spoils it for others. My pet peeve is tank tops on men. Yuck. Our Ruth's Chris is in a very touristy area, so it would have people in flip flops too, but not on New Years Eve. There are still a few restaurants in town with a dress code, thankfully. I guess in this hard economy, a restaurant will not turn anyone away.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:57 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Dressing up does seem to be going the way of the Dodo in the UK anyway. I go to the Theatre and the Opera on a regular basis and the vast majority of people just turn up wearing jeans, sneakers, shorts and t-shirts , there seems to be no concept of "occasion" and I find it sad. You go to a really posh restaurant and the diners will be wearing the most casual clothes.

People who dress up seem to be the exception these days rather than the norm.

My "normal" day to day "look" is what I would call "classic" and I always end up with people looking at me as though I have four heads or a purple horn growing out of my head. Hubby and I were invited to a Garden Party ( not a BBQ but called a Garden Party on the invite ) recently. I wore a long navy polka dot tea-dress and navy jacket with my pearls and he dressed casual smart too with jacket, blue shirt and khaki slacks. Pretty much everyone was in jeans, trainers or shorts. Another couple of women were wearing dresses and we looked completely out of place. Does anybody know the meaning of "Garden Party " anymore ?

Just as bad as going to a neighbourhood BBQ wearing Wedding attire and a Fascinator IMO.

Even the Royal Opera House in London where I would expect to see a lot of evening dresses and men dressed to the Nines is more "city park" attire than anything else. It is as though nothing is special anymore.

There is no sense of Decorum anymore and everything is purely about comfort. Nothing else seems to matter. I have been to Weddings where men wore jeans and trainers and women wore tarty see through outfits more suited to streetwalkers than anything else. The mind boggles. We drove past a Wedding recently where half of the guests seem to be wearing leggings, jeggings and one actually had one of those tank tops which shows your midriff. It makes you want to weep.

I find it spoils my enjoyment when Hubby and I go somewhere really special and everyone looks like a slob. Sorry if this makes me sound like a snob but leggings at the theatre and shorts at a Michelin Starred Restaurant ?!?! Really ????

I personally like dressing up. It draws a line between "everyday" and more "glamourous" and IMO a little "glamour" once in a while is no bad thing.

Just as it would be silly to be wearing an evening dress and tiara whilst camping, wearing jeans during a night at the Philharmonic is just ridiculous and inappropriate.

We went to a wonderful and very expensive restaurant in Santa Fe a couple of years back , lovely location, the food was divine, service perfect, the décor wonderful, and then right there a table of guys with shorts and baseball caps. I kid you not. Baseball caps ?!?! Where were those people brought up ? A cave ?

I find it quite depressing that we seem to lack the will to actually make an effort these days. The concept of occasion is lost on most people. If you can't dress for the Opera or the Theatre when should you dress up ?

Rant over !

Old 05-22-2013, 10:09 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
It's expensive to wear dressy clothes.
Flip flops: $2-$15, pacsun, American eagle, Walmart, etc.
heels/flats:$40+ If you want a pair that won't destroy your feet. I got cheap dress heel sandals for my graduation which I still spent most the time sitting, I wore the shoes to walk to the bus, from the bus to my seat, to the stage, back to the seat, then to my moms car, I had deep dig marks, they were my size just cheap as hell, I still have scars on my feet from how bad these shoes were.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:23 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Flip flops are terrible for your feet. You should spend more on shoes to prevent other issues. Whether they are dress or casual (or get inserts).

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:33 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have not read all the thread, but I agree with the OP. I am in my 60s. I was raised in NE and we dressed up in high heels and gloves to go to church, or downtown to go shopping. Fast forward to the 70's and 80's when we still dressed up to go out to dinner. Then I moved to a more rural area in the 90's, and I noticed that dressing up was out of "fashion". In the country in the 90s, dressing up meant a theme appliqued sweatshirt.
Now, I live in the deep south. I think dressing up is a little more prevalent here.
I guess there is a happy medium between white gloves and pumpkin appliqued sweatshirts.
This made me think of something a few years back....my son and DIL took me to see Riverdance at Radio City Mucic hall..the evening performance....had not been to Radio City or Broadway in years...

I was APPALLED at the way people were dressed....when I was a kid my grannie was always taking us into NYC for shows etc and to quote her we were dressed to the nines...oh grannie would have been so upset...

Old 05-22-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Flip flops are terrible for your feet. You should spend more on shoes to prevent other issues. Whether they are dress or casual (or get inserts).

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
I'm well aware but I simply don't care.

Yes I'll probably pay for it in the future but I love flip flops.

You only live one that's the motto that we yolo.... Said a wise Canadian...

Old 05-22-2013, 11:07 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Dressing up does seem to be going the way of the Dodo in the UK anyway. I go to the Theatre and the Opera on a regular basis and the vast majority of people just turn up wearing jeans, sneakers, shorts and t-shirts , there seems to be no concept of "occasion" and I find it sad. You go to a really posh restaurant and the diners will be wearing the most casual clothes.

People who dress up seem to be the exception these days rather than the norm.

My "normal" day to day "look" is what I would call "classic" and I always end up with people looking at me as though I have four heads or a purple horn growing out of my head. Hubby and I were invited to a Garden Party ( not a BBQ but called a Garden Party on the invite ) recently. I wore a long navy polka dot tea-dress and navy jacket with my pearls and he dressed casual smart too with jacket, blue shirt and khaki slacks. Pretty much everyone was in jeans, trainers or shorts. Another couple of women were wearing dresses and we looked completely out of place. Does anybody know the meaning of "Garden Party " anymore ?

Just as bad as going to a neighbourhood BBQ wearing Wedding attire and a Fascinator IMO.

Even the Royal Opera House in London where I would expect to see a lot of evening dresses and men dressed to the Nines is more "city park" attire than anything else. It is as though nothing is special anymore.

There is no sense of Decorum anymore and everything is purely about comfort. Nothing else seems to matter. I have been to Weddings where men wore jeans and trainers and women wore tarty see through outfits more suited to streetwalkers than anything else. The mind boggles. We drove past a Wedding recently where half of the guests seem to be wearing leggings, jeggings and one actually had one of those tank tops which shows your midriff. It makes you want to weep.

I find it spoils my enjoyment when Hubby and I go somewhere really special and everyone looks like a slob. Sorry if this makes me sound like a snob but leggings at the theatre and shorts at a Michelin Starred Restaurant ?!?! Really ????

I personally like dressing up. It draws a line between "everyday" and more "glamourous" and IMO a little "glamour" once in a while is no bad thing.

Just as it would be silly to be wearing an evening dress and tiara whilst camping, wearing jeans during a night at the Philharmonic is just ridiculous and inappropriate.

We went to a wonderful and very expensive restaurant in Santa Fe a couple of years back , lovely location, the food was divine, service perfect, the décor wonderful, and then right there a table of guys with shorts and baseball caps. I kid you not. Baseball caps ?!?! Where were those people brought up ? A cave ?

I find it quite depressing that we seem to lack the will to actually make an effort these days. The concept of occasion is lost on most people. If you can't dress for the Opera or the Theatre when should you dress up ?

Rant over !
Not a rant..I totally agree, people can not even dress for a wake or funeral anymore..have seen my share of raggedy jeans, leggings at those as well..I guess the person being waked no longer cares, but really people

Old 05-22-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Not a rant..I totally agree, people can not even dress for a wake or funeral anymore..have seen my share of raggedy jeans, leggings at those as well..I guess the person being waked no longer cares, but really people
Leggings can be dressy....

Black leggings with heels or flats and a dressy longish top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty