Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 08:44 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
What kind of podunk town do you live in txtqueen? Giving anyone, male or female, a pass to make comments like that is absurd. What the heck is wrong with people today, thinking they can just say whatever pops into their tiny pea brain?

If you are as pretty as they say then you should use your assets girl! Get yourself a portfolio of glamour shots and submit it to agencies where you'll be paid for being beautiful. You just might be better off in the fashion world, not some small town grocery store.
I'm sooo not the modeling type.
I don't even think I'm all that pretty. I've spent the majority of my life overweight, single and awkward.
It was only in the past few years that I got a boyfriend, lost 40 pounds and gained some inkling of confidence.

I straighten my hair and put on some make up, but I'm wearing a baggy(in my opinion) polo and khakis. I wouldn't call that stunning.

The other girls wear make up too.
I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 01:10 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Ill make this short and sweet since I am trying to get ready for work.

Within less than two weeks of starting my current job I've had several customers make snide remarks about my looks.

One person called me too pretty to fuction because I screwed up something on the register.
Another made a comment about how I must get paid a lot at my job to look the way I do.

I work at a small grocery store in a super small town.

I wear foundation, a little blush, eye shadow, eye liner and mascara, all done lightly and naturally.

Who the hell makes comments like that?
Seriously?
I agree about people wanting to stereotype women into either attractive OR smart, but never both.

However, I do think that the amount of makeup you mention is excessive. Eye shadow and eye liner in particular sounds like too much for daywear in a grocery store, and if you are young then you really don't need the foundation or the blush. I'd go with light mascara, clear or barely colored lip gloss, and maybe a light, tinted moisturizer if you really need it. Very long hair should be pulled back. Also, hopefully your clothes are relatively modest.

Even though people are wrong to think attractive women have to be dumb, you are projecting an image with your hair, makeup and clothing. Perhaps it's not so much the pretty, as it is the obvious attempts to make yourself prettier - i.e. obvious makeup, overdone hair, tight clothing, big earrings, etc. Of course, I have no idea how you really look, but it's something to consider. You might think you look light and natural, but I have never seen anyone wearing foundation and eye shadow in a grocery store that looked either light or natural. That much makeup on a cashier says "I'm all about how I look and I'm trying way too hard to look hot."

Old 05-22-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Thank you but oh hell no.

I get ready like this every morning, no matte what, cause who knows where the day will take me and I may not have time later.

Ill just learn to ignore it.
I'm not changing myself or who I am or what I've done pretty much everyday since I started wearing makeup for some rude jerks.

I never work over 4 hours a day, I'm not going to do that just for 4 hours.
I like to look nice and my hair is wavy if I don't straighten it. I despise my wavy hair, it's not pretty wavy, it's 3 year old who just woke up wavy.
OK, so you are not dressing for work in a grocery store. You're dressing for possibly running into some hottie sometime after work and needing to look date-ready. Well, it's your choice. They're still rude, but you choose what image you want to project at different times, and if you choose to project the wrong one at the wrong time then rude people will certainly let you know.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
I agree about people wanting to stereotype women into either attractive OR smart, but never both.

However, I do think that the amount of makeup you mention is excessive. Eye shadow and eye liner in particular sounds like too much for daywear in a grocery store, and if you are young then you really don't need the foundation or the blush. I'd go with light mascara, clear or barely colored lip gloss, and maybe a light, tinted moisturizer if you really need it. Very long hair should be pulled back. Also, hopefully your clothes are relatively modest.

Even though people are wrong to think attractive women have to be dumb, you are projecting an image with your hair, makeup and clothing. Perhaps it's not so much the pretty, as it is the obvious attempts to make yourself prettier - i.e. obvious makeup, overdone hair, tight clothing, big earrings, etc. Of course, I have no idea how you really look, but it's something to consider. You might think you look light and natural, but I have never seen anyone wearing foundation and eye shadow in a grocery store that looked either light or natural. That much makeup on a cashier says "I'm all about how I look and I'm trying way too hard to look hot."
Well I'm in a uniform, work supplied polo and khakis.

I'm not very young I'm 24 and my skin is uneven, the foundation is Almay smart shade smart balance and you can't even tell I am wearing it, it goes on so thin but makes everything look so even.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	860
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	112007

Took that just now.

I do my make up the same everyday no matter where I go.
I only 4 hours a day, I'm not going to do my make up twice just because of some small town folk who have a problem.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
OK, so you are not dressing for work in a grocery store. You're dressing for possibly running into some hottie sometime after work and needing to look date-ready. Well, it's your choice. They're still rude, but you choose what image you want to project at different times, and if you choose to project the wrong one at the wrong time then rude people will certainly let you know.
I have a hottie that I go home to every night.....who I've been with for nearly 4 years now.
I do my make up the same every day, no matter where I go and I have done so since high school, I've always done at least foundation, eyeliner and mascara.

Today I skipped on the eye shadow but kept the eyeliner, foundation and mascara.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:27 PM

It doesn't even look like I am wearing foundation or cover up or whatever you wan to call what I use.

Just looks like eyeliner and mascara.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:33 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
I think you look normal and not overdone. Get over it really. Don't take everything someone says so personally. Thick skin is required when working with the general public.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I think you look normal and not overdone. Get over it really. Don't take everything someone says so personally. Thick skin is required when working with the general public.
Thank you.

Yes I know and I've worked with the public for awhile I'm used to dealing with white suburbia mothers this is a whole new realm for me.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:50 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
It's not that unusual. Part of the sexism that is rampant in our society (still) is that some people, especially men, feel entitled to comment on the appearance of any woman they meet.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Well I'm in a uniform, work supplied polo and khakis.

I'm not very young I'm 24 and my skin is uneven, the foundation is Almay smart shade smart balance and you can't even tell I am wearing it, it goes on so thin but makes everything look so even.

Attachment 112007

Took that just now.

I do my make up the same everyday no matter where I go.
I only 4 hours a day, I'm not going to do my make up twice just because of some small town folk who have a problem.
First - take your picture down because this is a public forum and it's not really a good idea.

Second - you don't look overly done up to me, but honestly, that is way way too much eye makeup. Lose the liner and shadow. Keep the foundation if you must, but otherwise just some mascara and lip gloss (something like clinique - clear with a bit of color) would look nice on you. Even for a date, that's just too much, especially all that black with your fair skin. Also, I think the blond hair color I(visible on the ends) should go. Hair color is tricky - if you're going blond from dark, you have to really maintain it. That's expensive and time-consuming, which means most of us just end up with brassy color most of the time,which shouts "I color my hair a fake blond!". Unless you are going to get your hair colored every 8 weeks or so, it's best to stick with your natural shade. You can do a temporary color - similar to your own but richer - or even a two or three color process, and get a little more oomph out of it, but when it fades you don't get that brassy look (it just fades back to your real color).

Anyway, that's my somewhat unsolicited fashion advice to you. Other than plain weird rudeness and basic sexism against young women, the only thing that might invite that particular nature of rude comment is the blond and the eye makeup. I have no idea if losing those will eliminate stupid comments - probably not - but you will definitely look a lot better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty