Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 03:51 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,808 times

Advertisements

Try going into a higher end boutique where they can measure you, rather than trying to find what you want at larger mega-stores. At least you can get a starting point from them, but I still think you'll have to have some alterations done for proper fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 04:12 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
All the more reason you will probably need to go get fitted / sized. Sounds like you are going to be hard to fit and items directly off the racks may not be something you can do.

I would suggest finding a seamstress in your area that is able to alter clothing for you. If may be that you'll have to buy clothing that fits in the bust and then have the rest of the dress fitted.
Or you learn how to sew, and you make your own stuff or take in or hem what you find on the rack.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:55 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Also try different stores with smaller fit models. Like Zara (cut for more hourglass shapes, Spanish chain, carries xxs). Artizia (carries xxs and popular with Asian women in Canada) or Uniqlo (Japanese chain kinda like Gap, cut for straighter figures).

You would likely find a better fit, these stores tend to be popular with people size 4 and under.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:52 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
If you are referring to women who like to see men wearing shorts, I don't think there is really a certain body type or size. I don't think one thing has anything to do with the other.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:02 PM

331 posts, read 1,052,510 times
They are a bit more on the expensive side but Ann Taylor/Loft/Banana Republic/ and J. Crew have great petites clothes. Sometimes you have to remember quality over quantity. Loft especially constantly has 40% off their entire store and sometimes you have to take a risk and order petite sizing online. Getting the store credit card always helps as most of these stores offer free shipping. So instead of trying to buy cheaper clothes for example 2 pair of poorly fitting jeans from Kohls that cost $25 each. Buy one pair of jeans at $60-70 that fit great, are the right length and are better quality. Also remember places like Old Navy offer "short" pants and jeans but the inseam is the only shorter part which usually make them high waisted on someone who is petite. You have to specifically buy petite clothing to get the proportions right.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:11 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
If your bust is 36.5 you cannot be a size zero. That makes no sense.

Who are all these posters who say they are 36-24-36? Really?

Old 06-16-2013, 11:36 PM

517 posts, read 999,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
If your bust is 36.5 you cannot be a size zero. That makes no sense.

Who are all these posters who say they are 36-24-36? Really?
I'm not 36-24-36. My hips are way smaller than that. My measurements are 36.5-24-33.
I actually am too small since I'm shorter.
Prom Dresses Size Charts
For me how it works since I'm shaped the other way that dresses are made.
So it would work if I were average height I'm not so I fall through the cracks.
The usual measurements are 32.5-25.5-36 which is pear shaped. I'm an inverted triangle.
Anyhow it's made for women about 5'6" I'm 5'1". When my mom got pregnant she still couldn't fit adult clothing because of height.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:37 PM

517 posts, read 999,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehB33nz View Post
They are a bit more on the expensive side but Ann Taylor/Loft/Banana Republic/ and J. Crew have great petites clothes. Sometimes you have to remember quality over quantity. Loft especially constantly has 40% off their entire store and sometimes you have to take a risk and order petite sizing online. Getting the store credit card always helps as most of these stores offer free shipping. So instead of trying to buy cheaper clothes for example 2 pair of poorly fitting jeans from Kohls that cost $25 each. Buy one pair of jeans at $60-70 that fit great, are the right length and are better quality. Also remember places like Old Navy offer "short" pants and jeans but the inseam is the only shorter part which usually make them high waisted on someone who is petite. You have to specifically buy petite clothing to get the proportions right.
I'm actually going to try to look it up and shop online for it.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:40 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitgirl11 View Post
I'm not 36-24-36. My hips are way smaller than that. My measurements are 36.5-24-33.
I actually am too small since I'm shorter.
Prom Dresses Size Charts
For me how it works since I'm shaped the other way that dresses are made.
So it would work if I were average height I'm not so I fall through the cracks.
The usual measurements are 32.5-25.5-36 which is pear shaped. I'm an inverted triangle.
Anyhow it's made for women about 5'6" I'm 5'1". When my mom got pregnant she still couldn't fit adult clothing because of height.
Uniqlo is your pants store. The assume women have a higher waist hip ratio than most brands, and length alterations are free.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:01 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,147,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitgirl11 View Post
I'm just wondering. I've never really known my dress size because its like growing up my mom was short so were family members on her side so I've never really thought they existed really. But like what do women under 5 ft wear when it comes to dress sizes. I've heard a 0 for an average sized person the body measurements have to be at least a 31/33-23/25-33/35. What would a woman with smaller size get when it comes to dress sizes? Like what if she's 31-23-33 and 4'11" and 93 lbs. what dress size would that be what's less than 0? I've tried a double 0 it worked for me but I'm 5'1" and 101 lbs 36.5-24-33. So what dress sizes are for shorter women? Like below 5 ft?
I'm a bit confused. First, you asked what size SOMEONE smaller than "31/33-23/25-33/35" and "4'11, 93 pounds" would wear. But, then you say YOU'RE "5'1" and 101 lbs, and 36.5-24-33." These 2 people would, likely, not be wearing the same size, as least for tops and dresses. A bust size of 36.5 precludes this. Yet, you said a "double zero" worked.

The first example/size may have to hit up higher end stores, which tend to run a bit smaller, or search the children's section. They should be able to find something that fits. Whether or not it's age/occasion appropriate is another story. White House/Black Market is one of my favorites. I've seen women under 5' in XXXS tops and 00 dresses that fit fine, as long as they aren't floor length.

The second example, especially if you're saying is an inverted pear shape, well, I'm surprised is getting into a double zero.

I have some other ideas, but they are dependent on whether or not you are petite and curvy (not code for fat, I really mean curvy), or petite and slight.

So, which measurement are you working with? What is your fitting problem? Are the dresses too long? Not fitting across the bust?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty