Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 02:22 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times

Advertisements

Try how you feel with an corsett or is that a really crazy idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 02:56 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
Check your posture and then use a shaper such as Spanx or one that maybe is more comfortable and more affordable. Many people have this same problem and quite frankly, most people can use a little help with a shaper. Dresses are more comfortable for many of us and sundresses especially give you a little more freedom in what you wear underneath.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:34 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,291 times
I have the same problem! I thought I was the only one. I really don't know what to do about it, I'm already technically underweight (I'm 1.70 m and I weigh 53 kg) so I don't think diet is the answer. My body fat percentage is 24% which is average I believe. Still I have a bit of a belly that I just can't seem to get rid of My stomach just always seems bloated. I've looked for shaping underwear but it seems they don't make them in my size (S), only larger sizes. It's really frustrating. Fortunately, you don't really see it when I'm wearing clothes but I know it's there :/

Old 07-26-2013, 08:04 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I have the same problem! I thought I was the only one. I really don't know what to do about it, I'm already technically underweight (I'm 1.70 m and I weigh 53 kg) so I don't think diet is the answer. My body fat percentage is 24% which is average I believe. Still I have a bit of a belly that I just can't seem to get rid of My stomach just always seems bloated. I've looked for shaping underwear but it seems they don't make them in my size (S), only larger sizes. It's really frustrating. Fortunately, you don't really see it when I'm wearing clothes but I know it's there :/
Knock your body fat down to 15%... at 24%, you have too much body fat.

OP, what is your body fat?

Old 07-26-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Knock your body fat down to 15%... at 24%, you have too much body fat.
Really? My personal coach at the gym said that 24% is average for women. I don't really know much about these things but 15% seems rather low. It's only my belly that has excess fat, the rest of my body is slim. How do I target just the belly area without losing fat in the rest of my body?

Old 07-26-2013, 08:31 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Hey ladies!

I really need to update my wardrobe, but I'm having a hard time finding clothes that fit my shape well. I'm almost petite (5'4") and I have a slender frame. However, I'm also cursed with a slight apple shape (I'm thinner in the legs, butt, and hips...but have a bit of a round belly).

Sizing is hard for me, because larger sizes tend to be too loose in the butt and thighs, while smaller sizes tend to squeeze my gut and give me a muffin top.

Can anyone recommend stores or brands that are good for hiding a belly? I've had luck with Banana Republic so far, but I'd love more ideas. Perhaps stores that run similarly in their sizing?
Get the clothing a wee bit big and find a good Tailor and have them taken in where you need them taken in.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:58 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Really? My personal coach at the gym said that 24% is average for women. I don't really know much about these things but 15% seems rather low. It's only my belly that has excess fat, the rest of my body is slim. How do I target just the belly area without losing fat in the rest of my body?

15% is low body fat, that is the point.

You cannot target fat loss.

Read my previous post regarding posture, that could also be the cause of your belly looking like it has extra fat.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
15% is low body fat, that is the point.

You cannot target fat loss.

Read my previous post regarding posture, that could also be the cause of your belly looking like it has extra fat.
I know, but 15% seems too low considering that at 24% I'm already slim all over my body except my belly. If I cut down almost half my body fat - and it's impossible to target fat loss as you say - I'm afraid that I will look WAY too skinny, with bones protruding and everything.

Anyway, I looked up the normal body fat percentages for women and this is what I found:

ACE Fit | Fit Life | What are the guidelines for percentage of body fat loss?

According to that source, 15% body fat would be on the low side even for an athlete (and I'm far from that ). I will check your post about posture (would be nice if the solution were that simple).

Old 07-26-2013, 10:05 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
I love how the advice here is to lose weight. So you are supposed to stay home in isolation until your tummy is socially acceptable.

PS I have seen shapewear in all sizes at mainstream stores from all brands. Spanx brand,target brand and everything in between.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:22 PM

621 posts, read 1,054,095 times
Avoid any belting of shirts or pants around the natural waist. Higher or below will be your best bet, Empire waist tops with a lower rise pant with a wide belt would definitely be an option. Watch the length of the shirt though. I would goal for the length to hit no lower that the top of the pant pockets so as to not make you look shorter.

Dresses can be in the roaring 20's style or empire waist sundresses. The swing of the skirt matters. Go for flow without too much pleating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty