Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 12:09 AM

973 posts, read 2,142,324 times

Advertisements

Our local school district, open toed shoes, sleeveless tops, and bottoms not finger tip length are the 'rule', but, not in forced. my neighbor and I are strict with our girls on the dress code. It doesn't help when their close girl, friends 'break' many rules, and our principal's (more than 1) don't bat an eye. I wouldn't care if it wasn't a school district rule we try to enforce. My ds, of course, follows all dress rules. I'm buying dd shorts in the 'boy' section. It's hard to get non booty shorts outside of there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 05:36 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,821,905 times
Seriously? A parent trying to micromanage what shoes their kid wears? I LOOOOOOVE flip flops!!! They're so attractive! Now maybe this is the time for you parents to learn that a kid wears what he/she wants to wear. This is just another case of overprotective-parents. I just like all shoes you can wear with no socks! Flip flops, crocs, sandals, you name it! I even enjoy the shoes you wear with socks, the tennis shoes! But seriously I HATE winter bnoots. But parents should let their kids wear flip flops if they want to.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:04 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Get the kid some nice sandal-y flip-flops. Bam, problem solved.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:09 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyezRule View Post
Our local school district, open toed shoes, sleeveless tops, and bottoms not finger tip length are the 'rule', but, not in forced. my neighbor and I are strict with our girls on the dress code. It doesn't help when their close girl, friends 'break' many rules, and our principal's (more than 1) don't bat an eye. I wouldn't care if it wasn't a school district rule we try to enforce. My ds, of course, follows all dress rules. I'm buying dd shorts in the 'boy' section. It's hard to get non booty shorts outside of there.
If the school district obviously isn't enforcing it, then why are you concerned about it?

Old 09-02-2013, 06:09 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
I can relate, I used to only wear steel toe boots, now I do own some water shoes with closed toe for river walking.

I would never go on an airplane in anything less than sneakers. haha. I sort of have the mindset of what if I had to run, kick or climb...

Old 09-02-2013, 09:10 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
FFs are just fine for the beach or poolside. For school, church or dining out in a nice restaurant, I prefer to see better footwear. But that's just me. Yes, I have FFs and I wear them around the house. Except when cooking bacon.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:22 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,989 times
I never knew there was such hatred and judgment of the flip flop

I don't trip, stumble or otherwise bang up my feet while wearing flippys but I do when I put on shoes. I catch the front because they are thicker than my feet are used to.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:23 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,947,289 times
I can't imagine telling my child what they can/cannot wear as shoes for normal outings. Riding a horse? Wear sturdier shoes. Climbing ladders? Wear something less slippery. Going to play basketball? Wear something you can run in and get stepped on. Going to the grocery store? WHO CARES? If your kid trips and falls because they're running around the grocery store, they'll either learn not to run, or learn to pick up their feet Win/win.

I have dozens of pairs of flip flops--everything from the most comfortable Teva Mush sandals in the world (I'm on my 10th pair, I get at least 1 new pair each year) to dressy ones with silvery flowers on them that I can wear in my classroom or to church with dresses.

I hope my kid enjoys flip flops as much as I do. What a joy they are for my feet I grew up wearing them almost every day of my life as a kid (growing up in So Cal will do that to you), and while the east coast weather no longer affords me that luxury, you betcha as long as the temperature is above 50, my feet are in sandals.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:33 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
We barely wear shoes in my family. Seriously, I even run barefoot 3/4 of the year. In the winters I give in and wear vibrams. The kids kept flip flops in the car for when they had to run into a store. Aside from that, any place you can wear flip flops, might as well go barefoot.

As for what to wear in church, didn't Jesus wear some pretty humble foot wear? Seems he is depicted it is always barefoot or in sandals.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:58 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,701 times
Wearing flip flops to church is unacceptable. That would be like going to a wedding and wearing them. Now wearing them
while going about your daily business should be okay. Yes, some people just wear them and wear them, never clean them and their feet are nasty as must be the rest of them. They have no support so wearing them all the time could cause problems down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty