Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 08:24 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,517,696 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else have a problem with how often their kids want to wear flip flips? We were getting ready to go to the store this morning and then come home to go to church when I saw that my daughter had on her flip flips. Typical wear to the pool and back flip flops. I've told her before these are not to be worn as shoes and she still keeps wearing them. I don't like it. I think they're bad for your feet to keep wearing them as shoes, not to mention being no protection at all.

My wife thinks I should pick my battles wisely. I've told her this is a battle that needs choosing. So what do you folks say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 08:26 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,184,262 times
I cannot imaging trying to micromanage/control what my kid puts on his or her feet.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:29 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,434,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Does anyone else have a problem with how often their kids want to wear flip flips? We were getting ready to go to the store this morning and then come home to go to church when I saw that my daughter had on her flip flips. Typical wear to the pool and back flip flops. I've told her before these are not to be worn as shoes and she still keeps wearing them. I don't like it. I think they're bad for your feet to keep wearing them as shoes, not to mention being no protection at all.

My wife thinks I should pick my battles wisely. I've told her this is a battle that needs choosing. So what do you folks say?
I agree with your wife.

But I agree with you too to a certain extent: Flip flops on middle aged pot bellied guys wearing surfer shirts (even though they've never been to the beach) and baggie shorts with pasty white legs and long filthy toenails and edema marks on their calves from where their socks had been an hour ago is GROSS.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:30 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,222,949 times
I live in flip flops, I don't see the issue and agree with your wife, pick your battles. Flip flops to me are not something I would battle over

Old 09-01-2013, 08:48 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
I cannot stand flip flops. No way did my kids go to school or church, or anywhere nice with flip flops. It was not a battle...I just choose to never buy flip flops for my kids. Problem solved.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:59 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,187,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
I agree with your wife.

But I agree with you too to a certain extent: Flip flops on middle aged pot bellied guys wearing surfer shirts (even though they've never been to the beach) and baggie shorts with pasty white legs and long filthy toenails and edema marks on their calves from where their socks had been an hour ago is GROSS.
Or flip flops on manicured feet with polish that matches them, and the skirt, on shaven, tan legs. That looks pretty nice imo. I have various colored flip flops that match whatever I'm wearing and I think they are prettier than most sandals. I don't know why men don't get pedi's, but that's another topic. I will agree that flip flops are probably bad for the feet. Sneakers are probably best.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:11 AM

231 posts, read 575,541 times
I grew up in So Cal and I would wear flip flops year round. I would wear them to work, school, church. It would be too dressed up if you wore anything else. I have lived in VA for 3 years now and I STILL wear my flip flops daily. I usually only wear my tennis shoes from late October to March (because of the weather here), and then I put the flip flops back on. My kids and husband are the same way

Old 09-01-2013, 09:15 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,946,717 times
I have no problem with flip flops. Summer is short, and most schools don't allow them anyway. I think they are a heck of a lot more attractive than Crocs.

Although podiatrists seem to be in agreement that they are potentially the cause of issues in adult wearers, it isn't necessarily true for kids:
Flip-flops might help kids? feet (Science Alert)

Many manufacturers now sell more supportive flip flops, which are the type I prefer.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:19 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,434,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I don't know why men don't get pedi's,
So they can afford to let their wives get them.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:41 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,187,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
So they can afford to let their wives get them.
Well, for those who aren't impoverished then. A pedi is usually $25 and a guy doesn't have to get them routinely, rather just enough to keep the nasty at bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty