Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Wardrobing - Buy, Wear and Return (Multiple Choice)
I have done it 5 7.04%
I would never do it 55 77.46%
I know someone who does it 7 9.86%
I don't know anybody who does it 24 33.80%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 11:27 PM

498 posts, read 1,455,900 times

Advertisements

I see this all the time, but we're starting to crackdown. Working at an online dress retailer/manufacturer, we get tons of dresses shipped to us as returns, many of which were really only intended to be "rented" for free. Unfortunately, there's not much we can do to prove someone has worn a dress, unless there is obvious damage (which is surprisingly often). The worst is when someone orders a bunch of bridesmaids dresses for a wedding, then returns all of them, all obviously opened and wrinkled. However, we, like other retailers, are implementing measures to make it foolproof.

Being an online retailer, whether or not we refund a customer who has returned (via shipping) an item, is totally within our judgement. They can open a dispute with paypal or whatever, but we invariably win. So cheaters beware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 07:09 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post

And yes -- more so than not -- I shop online, where I am assured that the product I get is the product I paid for.
Not always. My parents ordered a large computer monitor once from a store that they trusted. When it arrived, there was a much smaller and older monitor inside the box. The store wouldn't refund their money or replace the monitor because they thought my parents were lying about someone else having put their old monitor in the box.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:15 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchamp Dude View Post
I once got a heater from Target because my landlord is a lazy bum who won't fix it fast.

I used it for 10 days and he fixed it.

I packed the heater, returned it and got back my 74 bucks.

I used it to buy clothes, samosas and groceries.

I am a smart shopper. It's the Indian inside me.
Oh, I have to admit, I have done this once with something that wasn't clothes.

I bought a pair of jack stands so I could do the brakes on my car. I didn't have the money to take it somewhere for brakes,so I did the brakes myself and then I returned the jack stands, which were not damaged in any way by having been used once.

The next time my husband wanted to do the same thing, we were not absolutely broke and I told him if we bought jack stands, we were keeping them.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:51 AM

809 posts, read 1,273,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Oh, I have to admit, I have done this once with something that wasn't clothes.

I bought a pair of jack stands so I could do the brakes on my car. I didn't have the money to take it somewhere for brakes,so I did the brakes myself and then I returned the jack stands, which were not damaged in any way by having been used once.

The next time my husband wanted to do the same thing, we were not absolutely broke and I told him if we bought jack stands, we were keeping them.
There's nothing wrong with it, H_M. This is what distinguishes smart shoppers from the idiots

These companies make billions and when they have a 60-day return policy, they know full well what they are getting into. Also, when returned, they don't put it on the shelves pronto. They professionally refurbish it and restock it as brand new. Welcome to the retail industry.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:45 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchamp Dude View Post
There's nothing wrong with it, H_M. This is what distinguishes smart shoppers from the idiots

These companies make billions and when they have a 60-day return policy, they know full well what they are getting into. Also, when returned, they don't put it on the shelves pronto. They professionally refurbish it and restock it as brand new. Welcome to the retail industry.
Actually, it's dishonest. Your moral compass appears to be broken.

What do you mean by professionally refurbish? I have seen, firsthand, department stores put some tape back on the box and put it back on the shelf. They aren't putting themselves out in most cases.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:48 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
I can't even see how wearing something then returning it as unworn is a matter of opinion. Now, returning a defective item that, for example, fell apart after laundering, and giving that as the reason for the return is another matter entirely.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:24 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,794 times
This is making me feel so guilty.

I bought a $30 cell phone when my old one died. It was an AT&T go phone and I just flipped my SIM card in and moved on. Two weeks later, the phone fell off my night stand and the screen turned white, but I couldn't find my old receipt to return it! Anywhere! I searched high and low.

I bought the same model from the same store and used the receipt for the new one to return the old one that didn't work.

This one has withstood many a drop/fall. Reading this thread is making me feel so guilty. I'm sorry!

Old 09-24-2013, 10:50 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
LOL confessions!

Old 09-24-2013, 11:45 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
LOL confessions!
LOL! nothing to do with clothes, but I had to clear my conscience somehow!

I've never misrepresented any other return, but knew a girl who tried to return a shirt because it didn't shrink in the wash like she thought it would.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:44 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
On a similar note, this was on NPR this morning: What Happens When Stores Let Customers Return Whatever They Want? : Planet Money : NPR

Quote:
L.L. Bean has an astonishingly lenient return policy. The company has taken back a live Christmas wreath that had turned brown and a shirt ripped by a rescue crew after a car accident. My own Planet Money colleague, Lisa Chow, has been returning her L.L. Bean backpacks for two decades whenever a zipper breaks. She's gone through three or four backpacks this way. Every time, they send her a new one free.
I'm pretty much the opposite of "wardrobing" I'd never be able to wear or use an item and then try to return it if it wasn't defective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty