Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 07:10 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2sweet4ne1 View Post
No, my 4 year old son is not asking for a pink shirt. I suppose I should give decisions to him??

He (and the rest of the family for that matter, dad included) all wear pink. Some of the pink includes breat cancer awareness shirts, some do not. My 4 year old actually has 2 pink shirts already, I'm just looking for a specific one.

Once again, it is ok for a woman to wear blue, which is traditionally a boy color, but a boy cannot wear pink? Someone please explain why this is a big deal?
I was just amused by the fact that you said that you couldn't get your hubby into a pink shirt, so your son was next on your hit list. Then I realized that this was all about you and your fashion sense. And from your original post, I didn't know your son was only 4.

About colors, imo traditionally, women have had access to all colors of the rainbow for their clothing. Whereas mens clothing tended to be a more neutral palette, so as not to clash with what their women were wearing. For instance, on a fancy night out, a man will be dressed in a black tux, but the woman will be dressed in a flashier fashion. And in social situations, women seem to enjoy dressing and accessorizing in order to really stand out in a crowd. However, men seem to prefer dressing in a more subtle fashion, as a group, they have more of a desire to bond in packs, or be in a uniform as they want to be accepted by their peers. And by keeping their wardrobe simpler, they don't have to spend much time getting dressed for any occasion. Women seem to enjoy primping and getting dressed up more than the men.

Men can dress colorfully, like when they are on vacation in Mexico or the islands. And in my experience, the other groups of men that like to dress outrageously in daily life are gay men and rock or rap musicians.

Otherwise, my only caution about your son as he gets of school age is that children prefer to be able to blend into their groups of friends, not stand out. Safety in numbers. And also, those that are considered odd or different do get singled out and teased by their peers and given annoying nicknames. It's just a fact of childhood. Do you want your son to have the nickname of "Pink" or "Pinkie" by his friends? Or have them question his masculinity later on or be considered a mamma's boy? As an adult and a woman, you have a strong sense of self image, but your son does not.

Anyway, enjoy dressing up your son in pink now before he gets older and is in grade school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 07:36 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I wear pink frequently and find that women tend to flirt with me in pink.....not in anything else.....olde pharts in pink look hott I guess

Maybe they think you're harmless because you"re in pink. Whatever works.

Lisa

Old 11-21-2007, 09:01 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I was just amused by the fact that you said that you couldn't get your hubby into a pink shirt, so your son was next on your hit list. Then I realized that this was all about you and your fashion sense. And from your original post, I didn't know your son was only 4.

About colors, imo traditionally, women have had access to all colors of the rainbow for their clothing. Whereas mens clothing tended to be a more neutral palette, so as not to clash with what their women were wearing. For instance, on a fancy night out, a man will be dressed in a black tux, but the woman will be dressed in a flashier fashion. And in social situations, women seem to enjoy dressing and accessorizing in order to really stand out in a crowd. However, men seem to prefer dressing in a more subtle fashion, as a group, they have more of a desire to bond in packs, or be in a uniform as they want to be accepted by their peers. And by keeping their wardrobe simpler, they don't have to spend much time getting dressed for any occasion. Women seem to enjoy primping and getting dressed up more than the men.

Men can dress colorfully, like when they are on vacation in Mexico or the islands. And in my experience, the other groups of men that like to dress outrageously in daily life are gay men and rock or rap musicians.

Otherwise, my only caution about your son as he gets of school age is that children prefer to be able to blend into their groups of friends, not stand out. Safety in numbers. And also, those that are considered odd or different do get singled out and teased by their peers and given annoying nicknames. It's just a fact of childhood. Do you want your son to have the nickname of "Pink" or "Pinkie" by his friends? Or have them question his masculinity later on or be considered a mamma's boy? As an adult and a woman, you have a strong sense of self image, but your son does not.

Anyway, enjoy dressing up your son in pink now before he gets older and is in grade school.

Pink isn't exactly bold or outrageous. We're not talking about a hot pink feather boa and leather pants here. Children will be teased for almost everything and anything, but in these parts, it's the more confident & popular boys who wear pink by choice. (As I stated earlier, my 10 yr old next door neighbor wears pink polos and he looks like such a little man in them.)

And men don't always dress to coordinate with their women. My husband dresses for work everyday, not a social event. Pink or Lavendar under a dark suit create a quite a powerful image. Granted...not all men can carry it, especially if they're not secure in the masculinity.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:30 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Pink isn't exactly bold or outrageous. We're not talking about a hot pink feather boa and leather pants here. Children will be teased for almost everything and anything, but in these parts, it's the more confident & popular boys who wear pink by choice. (As I stated earlier, my 10 yr old next door neighbor wears pink polos and he looks like such a little man in them.)

And men don't always dress to coordinate with their women. My husband dresses for work everyday, not a social event. Pink or Lavendar under a dark suit create a quite a powerful image. Granted...not all men can carry it, especially if they're not secure in the masculinity.
How do we know it's not feather boa pink? The O.P. never posted a sample of the color she wanted the shirt in. Plus the title of her thread was unnecessarily provocative. Tough enough to wear pink to me implied that her son was a lot older, perhaps even a teenager, but certainly not 4 years old. lol

Anyway, at four years of age, she can find pink shirts for him in the girls sections of the stores.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:38 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
How do we know it's not feather boa pink? The O.P. never posted a sample of the color she wanted the shirt in. Plus the title of her thread was unnecessarily provocative. Tough enough to wear pink to me implied that her son was a lot older, perhaps even a teenager, but certainly not 4 years old. lol

Anyway, at four years of age, she can find pink shirts for him in the girls sections of the stores.

The type of pink is irrelevant to me...I think men can wear various shades of pink (light to fuschia) and I'm not ignorant enough to think any boy or man in pink is gay.

The OP did state a few posts down that her son was 4. You just need to read a bit.

And FWIW, I shop in the men's department for myself and that doesn't negate my femininity. In fact, it's where I buy all my pink sweaters (women's sleeves are never long enough.)

Old 11-21-2007, 02:48 PM

403 posts, read 1,563,579 times
Maybe I should have been more specific from the get go. I am looking for a boy's pink shirt (shade of pink does not matter) and the front of it says "tough enough to wear pink".

Yes, my son is 4 and knows the differences between boys and girls. The pink shirt does not bother him, why should it bother anyone else? Maybe kids tease other kids for wearing pink, having earrings, holes in the knees of their jeans or not having the "right" sneakers because they are taught that by..... I don't know.... the parents maybe?

You don't have to dress your sons in pink. The men don't have to wear pink if they don't want to. That is fine.

When I started this post, I didn't think that it would cause such an uproar. I simply wanted to know if anyone knew where I could buy the shirt.

I appreciate everyone's input. It's been interesting and I can't wait to read more.

And NO, it is not the feather boa pink! LOL..

Old 11-21-2007, 03:10 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
I would have to pass on a woman that won't date a man who wears pink. There are probably associated reasons that would completely turn me off to them. I have never been impressed with rigid women.

Old 11-23-2007, 04:15 AM

403 posts, read 1,563,579 times
LOL Tek- you might be on to something there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty