Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2013, 07:31 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Honestly she doesn't evoke a strong response in me one way or the other.

I just don't care enough about first ladies I guess.
LI that's pretty cool because up here we all thing city folk are bleeding heart liberal/dem/you get the idea..........I think I love you now LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 07:32 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
yeah but that was the attempt to inform the masses that didn't have a clue, the real ones always knew the secret code......she wrote another one recently........I dunnno, bragging rights or informant????

see the daily prep for the nations most dried out self fulfilled my relatives were on the Mayflower and I know how each item at LL Bean is made LOL gotta love Muffy Aldrich.....guiding the sheeple...........
I know the type intimately as I am 1/2 WASP with a pedigree dating back in America from well before the American Revolution.

And I am glad it's 1/2 because I have some style and the staples of my casual wardrobe are not exactly the same as my husband's! LOL! No oxford shirts and khakis for me!

I have to say they cannot decorate a home worth a damm either no matter how much money ... beige beige beige ... boring boring boring ... nautical shyte ... blah blah blah.

Don't get me wrong, some classic pieces are nice.

But many of them are so boring and never try anything new, they might as well be the Amish.

Another thing ... preps are not known for their recipes, cooking and hospitality ... their dinner parties suck ... lousy food and stingy with it too ... they'd MUCH rather booze it up ... so make sure you like to drink if you go to their dinner parties at their homes.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 10-19-2013 at 07:40 PM..

Old 10-19-2013, 07:39 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelee View Post
Juicy is marketed towards a younger population. Coach used target women who were more refined. those days are gone.
Again, that's what I meant when I said backwards; Juicy tried to move up in demo, Coach went down trying to scoop up the 18-25, +/- 5.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:43 PM

LOL LI our pedigrees are a close match we are parallel lives.............the Amish are all about trying things new, ever watch Amish Mafia, creepy............Esther is a hoe.........DAR all the way here...........I am the last in the chain that has not applied for membership.....I have the deed to the property in NC from my forefathers from 1874 in my bedroom, so cool........OMG we are preppies once removed............

Old 10-19-2013, 07:43 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelcake4 View Post
I agree that the original post reeks of grasping for status.

HOWEVER, people get very worked up about handbags and sometimes give them more significance than they deserve. Yes, I don't deny that there are people out there that are carrying specific bags for specific purposes. Personally, I am a handbag collector. I scour consignment shops for vintage Chanel, Dior and Gucci purses. Along the edgier I love Dolce & Gabbana. In my view, these are all unique, very well taken care of (and great deals).

Because I love my handbags, I rarely buy wallets and other purses - so there's a savings there. (I haven't bought a new purse in three years - I just keep them turning seasonally in my closet.)

I understand people may say it's a ridiculous collection and it wastes money. I don't buy Starbucks. I don't drink alcohol (I know many people who drink regularly and that sucks up A LOT of money). Some people collect art, some people collect stamps, some people collect fine china - whatever floats their boat. I don't collect vintage purses to attract men. Nor do I care if people notice exactly what purse I'm carrying and from what year it is. I do it because I personally love these bags, along with the craftsmanship.

It isn't a big deal at all. I don't think about these purses all day long. I have a full time job, a family, do volunteer work. Why are people making all these ridiculous "social status" judgements regarding purses?
Kudos. Great post.

People make judgements because it's there for them to see; the alcoholics and stamp collectors don't walk around carrying their respective money pits. Handbags are an easy target. I definitely respect the passion you have. It's an affinity and hobby like any other. People will judge anything - who cares. As long as you go to bed at night feeling good about yourself, that's all that matters.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideworld View Post
Again, that's what I meant when I said backwards; Juicy tried to move up in demo, Coach went down trying to scoop up the 18-25, +/- 5.
Yeah dummy them thinking that 18 to 25's have disposable income NO

Old 10-19-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideworld View Post
Kudos. Great post.

People make judgements because it's there for them to see; the alcoholics and stamp collectors don't walk around carrying their respective money pits. Handbags are an easy target. I definitely respect the passion you have. It's an affinity and hobby like any other. People will judge anything - who cares. As long as you go to bed at night feeling good about yourself, that's all that matters.
OMG I love you man

Old 10-19-2013, 08:05 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,313,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I consider them as their best days are gone by ... they were "the thing" decades ago ... now anybody who considers them a big deal is out of step, out of touch ... "ghetto" is not necessarily the right word for it as you will see whitey who will walk on the other side of the street from a black person in the southeast making a big deal over these brands and act like a fashion plate if they have something on that visibly says "Hilfiger" on it.
No, if "whitey" walked on the other side of the street in the Southeast, they would have nowhere to walk. This is not about the South or the North; it is about handbags. Also, Hilfiger is not the thing in the South at all; I don't even know where people buy Hilfiger anymore.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:05 AM

1,373 posts, read 2,958,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Omg seriously. Kardashians can afford everything although they don't carry class.
Korrection, Kardashians don't Karry Klass!

Old 10-20-2013, 05:39 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,220,909 times
A purse is something for you to keep your thing in, but a lot of women see having a designer bag as a status symbol. Someone who would not carry certain labels because they see "ghetto" folks carrying them is obnoxious and shallow. Someone who would get rid of their expensive bags because their friend tells them to because of image is definitely immature and a follower. What is this, high school?!

When we were teens, my sis was obsessed with carrying designer bags and she got a job just so she could buy them. At 16 and 17 year old she had Coach and LV purses. In high school, she joined a sorority of sorts that was called the "JC's," which stood for "Just Conceit." You could not be a part of this group if you did not wear the latest designer fashions and in order to be accepted in, you had to own at least two designer handbags. I thought this was the most ridiculous thing I had ever heard! But back then, I wasn't much of a follower, I didn't care about being popular or having designer things. I didn't want to befriend people who only cared about the way I dressed or what material things I had. I still feel that way now.

I've only owned one Coach bag in my life (a mini duffle) that I bought years ago. I rarely carried it and it just sits on a shelf in my closet. I buy all my bags from Ross, TJ Maxx or Marshall's. I don't care about label as much as I care about quality I like the classic Coach bags because they are real leather. Other than that, I could care less.

Someone this preoccupied with handbags needs to get a serious clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty