Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 08:01 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,475,158 times

Advertisements

I admit this is a strange post and mostly for me just to vent.

But for the second time, I received a dry cleaning item that smells absolutely terrible. Both times, I basically bought a brand new shirt and took it to the cleaners because I was lazy and didn't feel like ironing.

The shirt smells like it was laundered with the "bag lady's clothes" -- I know that's not PC, but I'm not sure how else to describe it.

So should dry cleaners' conduct a 'maximum odor tolerance test', whereby a customer would be refused service if their clothes smelled horrifically bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 09:56 PM

115 posts, read 92,056 times
You blame the other customers' clothes instead of the dry cleaner?

Old 05-08-2018, 12:16 PM

551 posts, read 1,574,280 times
It's probably all of the harmful chemicals in the products they use to clean your shirt.
Try a cleaners that uses all natural products to clean the clothes.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:18 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
I had this happen to me once. My item, women's professional clothing with NO offensive odors, picked up my order and it smelled like a cross between BO and but* stink.

Took the clothes to another dry cleaners and that was that.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:29 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
It's those expensive golf clothes that get sweated in and really need water, not chemicals, to clean them. The customers who bring them in are usually good customers who bring in a lot of clothes every week, so you don't want to offend them . It's even worse when they've got skid marks inside the shorts...who knew golf was that strenuous?

I used to work at a cleaners and I'd bag those stinky clothes separate from everyone else's clothes, but who knows what they did with them at the plant?

Old 05-08-2018, 02:56 PM

88,585 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I worked at a dry cleaners years ago. Dry cleaning doesn't take the pit smell out of clothes. People used to bring in these beautiful, expensive items, but they apparently weren't into wearing deodorant. Maybe it spreads to the other items when in the machine.

I still LOVE the smell of the dry cleaning chemicals, though.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:00 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asonnier View Post
It's probably all of the harmful chemicals in the products they use to clean your shirt.
This. There are "environmentally sound" cleaners out there. Do a search, and call around.

BTW, have you used other cleaners, and only noticed the problem with this one? Or has it been a long time since you used a dry cleaner at all? I'm wondering if you might be having a reaction to the chemicals; I wonder if you're starting to get Multiple Chemical Sensitivity. It happens. How are you with household cleaning supplies?

Old 05-08-2018, 03:02 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
It's those expensive golf clothes that get sweated in and really need water, not chemicals, to clean them. The customers who bring them in are usually good customers who bring in a lot of clothes every week, so you don't want to offend them . It's even worse when they've got skid marks inside the shorts...who knew golf was that strenuous?

I used to work at a cleaners and I'd bag those stinky clothes separate from everyone else's clothes, but who knows what they did with them at the plant?
I guess golfers figure, that if the dry cleaners advertise that they clean and press men's dress shirts for work, they can do the golf clothes? Someone should suggest to them, that they take the clothes to their neighborhood laundry. Many laundries have a wash-and-press service.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:12 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asonnier View Post
Hmmm....there are 'natural' items produced in the wild that I Do not want my clothes soaked in.

Bleach is the quick shock method as is baking soda....

Old 05-08-2018, 03:21 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
For some reason this thread reminds me of a episode of Seinfeld.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty