Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 06:39 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,741,459 times

Advertisements

Chicago Dry Cleaners are just TOO EXPENSIVE! Quotes for hemming a nice lined skirt around Wicker Park - $16 to $25! I finally found a place that'll do it for $12 skirt, $10 lined pants! And dry cleaning a skirt? $3.75 and up! Like how is a guy gonna afford looking like some Alpha Chick when he can't afford to dry clean his 120+ skirt suits! Man, I just gotta go around in cheap to clean men's machine wash clothes!

Anyone know of cheap but good Dry Cleaners in Chicago? What are their rates?

Houston -- hem skirt $12 ; dry clean skirt $1.69
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 06:46 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,959,470 times
It is true I stopped getting my shirts dry cleaned when I moved to the city. In the burbs I would pay 2 bucks for a shirt.

Also wtf kind of guy wears skirts

Old 04-08-2009, 06:50 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,741,459 times
How much does it cost for men's stuff, and aren't all men's clothes machine wash except only for a suit jacket? Men's clothes are cheap and boring, but I gotta be a man at times!!

Old 04-08-2009, 06:53 PM

569 posts, read 1,819,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
It is true I stopped getting my shirts dry cleaned when I moved to the city. In the burbs I would pay 2 bucks for a shirt.

Also wtf kind of guy wears skirts
Long101, meet Jesse69.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:33 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,428,959 times
I try to avoid taking my clothes to the dry cleaners. It really grosses me out for my clothes to be mixed with strangers.
Besides my friends mom use to own a dry cleaners and Ive seen the water they use for laundry and most of them do not use the perc solvent correctly when dry cleaning and your stuff is dirtier than it was going in and possibly hazardous.

It is possible to find a good dry cleaners but the majority of them suck.
Just because your dry cleaners claims to be green or organic doesn't mean it is.

I recommend hiring someone to do your ironing if you suck at it like me.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:01 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,659,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
How much does it cost for men's stuff, and aren't all men's clothes machine wash except only for a suit jacket? Men's clothes are cheap and boring, but I gotta be a man at times!!
Honey, where are you shopping? Have you ever been to Banana Republic? J Crew? The billions of boutiques available in Chicago?

Of course men's clothing is more boring than women's. But sweetheart, a St. John's suit is only suitable for a 72 year old white woman. You have terrible taste.

I just don't understand. Most of the cross dressers I've known were straight, middle aged guys in happy marriages. But the gay cross dressers were actually interested in looking like women, tasteful women if in things that were very low cut.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:08 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,381,291 times
Man. The title of this thread. This must have seemed like such a stroke of genius to our beloved transvestite cyclist pal.

I mean. Because it's a dry cleaner. And they take you....

wait for it...

to the CLEANERS!

(Which means they take all of your money.)

It really is breathtaking.

Downright al.....

(wait, I don't know if I can do it without retching.)

Alph.....

(oh man. I might heave.)

ALPHA!

There. I said it.

I need a shower.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:09 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,428,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Honey, where are you shopping? Have you ever been to Banana Republic? J Crew? The billions of boutiques available in Chicago?

Of course men's clothing is more boring than women's. But sweetheart, a St. John's suit is only suitable for a 72 year old white woman. You have terrible taste.

I just don't understand. Most of the cross dressers I've known were straight, middle aged guys in happy marriages. But the gay cross dressers were actually interested in looking like women, tasteful women if in things that were very low cut.
She really is right about St. Johns

I don't know anyone under 60 who wears St. Johns suits.

Not all of St. Johns stuff but definitely the suits.

If you are going to cross dress you will need all the help you can get. You need to start with age appropriate clothing.

Please dont go in the opposite direction and start wearing clothes made for teenagers either. Like the 40 yr old red neck moms here that wear Hollister and are
over tanned with the same stupid slanted bob hair cut.
I really cant stand Louisiana everyone looks the same!
Lots of make up, lots of tan and no personal style except what they copied from a magazine.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:19 PM

425 posts, read 1,436,469 times
Dry cleaning really shouldn't be an expensive part of the budget, even if the cleaning costs for a particular item run high, because you shouldn't have to go that often, and you probably shouldn't go nearly often enough for it to be expensive.

The chemicals used in dry cleaning destroys your clothes, and should be done twice a year: once at the beginning of the season and once at the end. If it's a suit that you wear all year, maybe you could add one extra cleaning. Of course, if you are out at a bar and spill a drink on yourself or something, then you're going to have to make a special trip.

And when you think about it, you really shouldn't hesitate to shell out a decent amount for good dry cleaning. You can spend an extra $15-20 cleaning your suit, or you can save some money, have it ruined, and buy another $1000 suit.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:20 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,925,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myssatx View Post
she really is right about st. Johns

i don't know anyone under 60 who wears st. Johns suits.

Not all of st. Johns stuff but definitely the suits.

If you are going to cross dress you will need all the help you can get. You need to start with age appropriate clothing.

Please dont go in the opposite direction and start wearing clothes made for teenagers either. Like the 40 yr old red neck moms here that wear hollister and are
over tanned with the same stupid slanted bob hair cut.
I really cant stand louisiana everyone looks the same!
Lots of make up, lots of tan and no personal style except what they copied from a magazine.
but he's totally alpha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: