Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think she is fat?
Yes 30 13.04%
No 200 86.96%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 11:58 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamatem View Post
True hourglass shapes are among the most UNcommon, yet all of you happen to find these measurements very common. I find that quite interesting. And I am female, btw - not that it really matters.
I think there are quite a lot of women who are pears that are perceived as hourglasses. (Ahem Beyonce and Kim Kardashian.)

That is likely what is happening here.

As I recall, when I was younger, pears were the most common shape. And somehow that changed to ruler in the past 10ish years.

I think there are a lot of pears out there. Especially in ethnic communities. (I'll include Eastern Europe, Arab/Middle eastern, South American, Caribbean and African American communities)

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 12:09 PM

91 posts, read 232,366 times
Kim kardashian is an hourglass IMO as is most of her family they all have broad shoulder wide hips and a small waist. Only she's been gifted with big boobs as well.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:10 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,443,879 times
No, not fat.

But compared to the skeletical creatures the media constantly tells men they should want to ...yes, the F word...compared to that, yes, she is "fat".
Because she has some "fat" on her as opposed to the skeletons who have none and who are sold as highly "F-able" in the media.

Then it all becomes reality when most Hollywood women aspire to the skeleton model and starve themselves into that shape...and then the masses follow them.

Self-fulfilling prophecy at work.

Final outcome: Christina Hendricks becomes fat - for real.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:24 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,043,403 times
I agree. It seems as thought any little bit of fat on the body is repulsive and she does have a little fat on her. I don't see anything wrong with that and I know men who like her type just fine. I guess she is supposed to hate herself and try to diet endlessly because when she sits down she will have a bit of a "muffin top" and instead of being straight from under the bust to the ankle her hips curve out and that is considered bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
No, not fat.

But compared to the skeletical creatures the media constantly tells men they should want to ...yes, the F word...compared to that, yes, she is "fat".
Because she has some "fat" on her as opposed to the skeletons who have none and who are sold as highly "F-able" in the media.

Then it all becomes reality when most Hollywood women aspire to the skeleton model and starve themselves into that shape...and then the masses follow them.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:25 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyrue21 View Post
Kim kardashian is an hourglass IMO as is most of her family they all have broad shoulder wide hips and a small waist. Only she's been gifted with big boobs as well.
She always looks more pear to me. (Pear with big boobs). She seems a little wider below the waist.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:29 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
No, not fat.

But what you say isn't happening. More women are getting ever fatter by the day. They are not starving and getting thinner or exercising to get more fit. They are getting bigger, and relying on vanity sizing to make themselves feel better about how large they are.

To be fair, men aren't getting thinner either.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:31 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,485,113 times
I do not think she is fat. However, I do not like her figure. I think her breast are just too big. She is very pretty and her waistline is nice.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:37 PM

91 posts, read 232,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
She always looks more pear to me. (Pear with big boobs). She seems a little wider below the waist.

She's pretty evened out 38-26-39. There can be an inch difference and still be an hourglass as long it's both over 10 inches

Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2014 at 06:44 AM..

Old 11-12-2013, 12:48 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,443,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
But what you say isn't happening. More women are getting ever fatter by the day. They are not starving and getting thinner or exercising to get more fit. They are getting bigger, and relying on vanity sizing to make themselves feel better about how large they are.

To be fair, men aren't getting thinner either.
Yes, it IS happening, and yes, you are right too, but only partially. The skeleton model is an extreme, knee-jerk reaction to the tendency of the modern population to balloon up.

Combine availability/affordability of poor quality food, the actual rarity and non-affordability of real, organic food, the disappearance of a regular cook in the average home, the lack of opportunity to be physically active as part of your regular day/work (as opposed to allocating special time for the gym or jogging in the street in a society where free/leisure time is an extremely rare commodity), and the stresses of modern life which lead many to treat food as "comfort" - and you have a perfect recipe for an obesity epidemic.
This is what happens to the masses.

Being a skeleton (the OPPOSITE of what happens to the masses) becomes a coveted merchandise, a sign of status and "upper class". "
"I am ABOVE the sloppy, the disgusting Godforsaken, aka "the fat" - so I will be the very opposite of all that - even if that means I will be an actual anorexic".

It is in the West, particularly the US, and now increasingly everywhere else, that you will see either very fat people or skeletons - the latter being a reaction to the "low-status fatties".

The media promotes the skeleton ideal because pursuing the skeleton ideal in a world designed to make you and keep you fat - results in tremendous profits for an endless number of industries.

Yes, very sad on both sides - the fat and the skeletons alike.
And very happy on the side of those at the top of said industries. :-)

Last edited by syracusa; 11-12-2013 at 12:56 PM..

Old 11-12-2013, 02:22 PM
hvl

403 posts, read 552,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyrue21 View Post
She's pretty evened out 38-26-39. There can be an inch difference and still be an hourglass as long it's both over 10 inches
In that Pic she looks like Cretan goddess. The only thing missing are the snakes around her arms
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty