Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 12:00 PM

20,771 posts, read 20,035,883 times

Advertisements

When I became a US citizen, I went to the ceremony to get sworn in, amongst 2,000 other foreigners.

On the sheet it said "treat it like a court appearance and look neat and professional".

I saw lots of people in flip flop, tank tops and shorts. As a new citizen, I felt like throwing them out of the country, a minute before they become legal citizen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 12:05 PM

533 posts, read 1,113,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
When I became a US citizen, I went to the ceremony to get sworn in, amongst 2,000 other foreigners.

On the sheet it said "treat it like a court appearance and look neat and professional".

I saw lots of people in flip flop, tank tops and shorts. As a new citizen, I felt like throwing them out of the country, a minute before they become legal citizen.
You wanted to become a resident of a country founded on freedom, yet you wanted to kick other people out just for what they were wearing? Ok...

Just live your own life, wear what you want to wear, be happy with yourself. Who cares what other people wear? How are they impacting your life?

Old 11-11-2013, 12:10 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,754,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Americans also wear pajamas to the grocery ? I thought this only happens in China
No Chinese under the age of 50 will go shopping in pajamas in the cities. The grannies, they don't care, nor do people who see them.

People in Shanghai and Hong Kong are dressed way better those in NYC and LA.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggumbo View Post
You wanted to become a resident of a country founded on freedom, yet you wanted to kick other people out just for what they were wearing? Ok...

Just live your own life, wear what you want to wear, be happy with yourself. Who cares what other people wear? How are they impacting your life?
it is not about freedom, it is about respect and appropriateness

What will you think if someone wear flip flops and shorts to your wedding, or funeral of your relative? Will you still think "well, it is his freedom"? It shouldn't impact your life either, should it?

The same applies to interviews. Is it a freedom to interview in pajamas? yes, no laws against it, but people don't do it because it is stupid, unless you are a genius and this company can't do without you.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggumbo View Post

I was hoping they treat their new citizenship seriously and with respect.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:17 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,648,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Seriously. We went to the theatre the other week and the people sitting in front of us had pajama pants and tshirts on.
Tell me your joking!!

Old 11-11-2013, 12:21 PM

16,914 posts, read 16,166,144 times
I happen to think it's cute and cozy, comfy and fun. Makes me wanna snuggle with 'em.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:23 PM

I used to teach in LA, and many students wore flip-flops to class, often with extremely casual summer clothing.
I didn't think it is very appropriate but didn't say anything. It is like a trend in Southern California, not sure about other places.

Those flipflops are neither pretty nor comfortable. They are not even safe when it comes to driving. Americans tend to be too casual when it shouldn't be.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I happen to think it's cute and cozy, comfy and fun. Makes me wanna snuggle with 'em.

I prefer to be naked or only in underwear. I think it is cute and cozy, comfy and fun and I wanna snuggle with myself.

However, I wouldn't leave the house like that.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:33 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,648,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
People like you are the reason Americans think they can come outside of their house and disrespect the public by dressing like a bum. We need to shame this uncultured behavior. Not encourage it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty