Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 12:40 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,628,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I used to teach in LA, and many students wore flip-flops to class, often with extremely casual summer clothing.
I didn't think it is very appropriate but didn't say anything. It is like a trend in Southern California, not sure about other places.

Those flipflops are neither pretty nor comfortable. They are not even safe when it comes to driving. Americans tend to be too casual when it shouldn't be.
Southern Cali kids are the worst!! Earlier this year I was coming back from So.Cal on a greyhound to Texas (it was an emergency and it was way too expensive to fly back home) and I saw this asian boy wearing OG house slippers on the bus!! I was shocked. I was just thinking to myself, wow, he must have confused his house for here! Like seriously, who does that??!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 12:42 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,029,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I happen to think it's cute and cozy, comfy and fun. Makes me wanna snuggle with 'em.
Most of these people are not cute and cozy looking though.

Usually they look more like this http://media.peopleofwalmart.com/wp-...13/11/5398.jpg

and less like this The Dreamer Henley Pajama - Victoria's Secret

Old 11-11-2013, 12:43 PM

533 posts, read 1,112,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
it is not about freedom, it is about respect and appropriateness

What will you think if someone wear flip flops and shorts to your wedding, or funeral of your relative? Will you still think "well, it is his freedom"? It shouldn't impact your life either, should it?

The same applies to interviews. Is it a freedom to interview in pajamas? yes, no laws against it, but people don't do it because it is stupid, unless you are a genius and this company can't do without you.
If someone wears shorts and flip flops to my future wedding, I truly will not care even though it's a formal event. I won't let what someone wears impact or control my feelings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I was hoping they treat their new citizenship seriously and with respect.
We all hope for "more."

You'd have probably been a lot happier if you just didn't pay attention to what other people are wearing.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:49 PM

16,905 posts, read 16,136,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
People like you are the reason Americans think they can come outside of their house and disrespect the public by dressing like a bum. We need to shame this uncultured behavior. Not encourage it.

LOL! People like you are just stuffy jerks that are no fun at all. "Disrespect the public"?
Wow...a mind is a terrible thing to waste.
Enjoy your misery...I'm having fun, like they are.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:54 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,024,401 times
Quote:
What will you think if someone wear flip flops and shorts to your wedding, or funeral of your relative? Will you still think "well, it is his freedom"? It shouldn't impact your life either, should it?

The same applies to interviews. Is it a freedom to interview in pajamas? yes, no laws against it, but people don't do it because it is stupid, unless you are a genius and this company can't do without you.
1) The older I get the less I TRULY care about what other people are wearing. There's too much judging people on the way they look as it is.

2) Uh, No. The reason people don't interview in pajamas is NOT because it's stupid. The reason they don't do it is because they CAN'T -- and still get the job....meaning there's a NEGATIVE CONSEQUENCE to doing it.

As clearly explained in "The Pleasure Principle." It's human nature -- whether it's work, exercise, or dressing and grooming -- MOST people will do the least they can get away with, without negative consequences.

Quote:
People like you are the reason Americans think they can come outside of their house and disrespect the public by dressing like a bum. We need to shame this uncultured behavior. Not encourage it.
3) I don't know how to respond to someone who say THEY feel disrespected and takes it as a personal a front -- because of what someone else is wearing in a grocery store. I have no words.

Last edited by rdflk; 11-11-2013 at 01:24 PM..

Old 11-11-2013, 12:58 PM

34 posts, read 80,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
LOl..Only if you wear it wrong lol
Totally agreed...I love wearing my p.j's with a clean wife beater when I go out

Old 11-11-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine_4 View Post
Totally agreed...I love wearing my p.j's with a clean wife beater when I go out

I prefer the flannel pants and shirt, or the flannel pants with a flannel robe...and slippers, of course!
Maybe bring along one of your stuffed animal friends, too.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:41 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggumbo View Post
If someone wears shorts and flip flops to my future wedding, I truly will not care even though it's a formal event. I won't let what someone wears impact or control my feelings.

We all hope for "more."

You'd have probably been a lot happier if you just didn't pay attention to what other people are wearing.
Actually, you sound very grouchy. Because you have the need to just go around and talk crap against people who voice their opinion.

And now go keep shopping in your pj's

Old 11-11-2013, 01:49 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Funny. I just googled "PEOPLE OF WALMART PAJAMA's".

And there they are - tons of webpages about it.

by looking through I noticed that most of the people won't look much better in real clothes, so it doesn't really matter anyway. So yeah, I guess that's why they don't dress nicer.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Funny. I just googled "PEOPLE OF WALMART PAJAMA's".

And there they are - tons of webpages about it.

by looking through I noticed that most of the people won't look much better in real clothes, so it doesn't really matter anyway. So yeah, I guess that's why they don't dress nicer.

My pajamas don't look like that! I'm talking about nice pajamas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty