Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 06:12 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeannaC View Post
I tend to dress extremely modestly, so a lot of my clothes are hand made, but I make my blouses in pioneer styles, I still wear Gunne Sax frequently, I also have fun with it. If it's cold enough Sunday, I'm going to wear my denim walking skirt with the tapestry panel that gathers in the back with a Victorian work shirt, quilted Gunne waistcoat and tapestry shawl, depending on how cold either sofskin bloomers and socks with one petticoat or lined leggings and two petticoats with black granny boots. Going to work on a gorgeous Edwardian hairdo that I can do with all this hair. I have an absolute blast with clothes and get more compliments! (A lot on being brave enough to wear it, lol)
Sounds like we see eye to eye on clothing styles. Lol. Wben we go retro we go all the way. Way I figger, tbinvs were way harder on folks back in the day, and these kinds of clothes kept tbem warm, dry and well covered. Who am I to argue. Besides, they are just plain cool, and I like being different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 07:18 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Default Unique

I don't care what others are wearing, don't care what the trends are.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:47 AM

452 posts, read 709,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Sounds like we see eye to eye on clothing styles. Lol. Wben we go retro we go all the way. Way I figger, tbinvs were way harder on folks back in the day, and these kinds of clothes kept tbem warm, dry and well covered. Who am I to argue. Besides, they are just plain cool, and I like being different.
Yep! K, now we're gonna have to get dressed and share pictures, lol!

I wear what's fun to wear! Those long skirts are perfect for my work, I run a kennel, no scratches from dogs, VERY cool in the summer (hey they got to my ankles...nothing binding underneath and since I'm in FL, air circulation is a wonderful thing. Most people don't realize just how versatile those clothes are. The collars and cuffs are basted on (or slipped up and tied) and everything's in layers. When you get down to the bottom layer, you find a full chemise (which doubles perfectly as a long white nightgown)!

Check out Kaw Valley Mercantile on eBay, lots of gorgeous, practical clothes and Victorian Trading Co for unmentionables and amazing accessories (I'm dying to get the new Victorian collars, over a plain shirt, snap the collar around your neck and voila', lace panels all the way to your waist!!)

If you sew, there are dozens of Gunne patterns available!

Old 12-04-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Yep! K, now we're gonna have to get dressed and share pictures, lol!

I wear what's fun to wear! Those long skirts are perfect for my work, I run a kennel, no scratches from dogs, VERY cool in the summer (hey they got to my ankles...nothing binding underneath and since I'm in FL, air circulation is a wonderful thing. Most people don't realize just how versatile those clothes are. The collars and cuffs are basted on (or slipped up and tied) and everything's in layers. When you get down to the bottom layer, you find a full chemise (which doubles perfectly as a long white nightgown)!

Check out Kaw Valley Mercantile on eBay, lots of gorgeous, practical clothes and Victorian Trading Co for unmentionables and amazing accessories (I'm dying to get the new Victorian collars, over a plain shirt, snap the collar around your neck and voila', lace panels all the way to your waist!!)

If you sew, there are dozens of Gunne patterns available!
Lol..I'm game! Yep, practicality and utility figure in for me as well. When I first started wearing the old stgle clothes I was looking at life from the back of a horse. The wool riding pants are double seated, and the cuffs are cut to tuck into boots so there's nothing loose to snag on rigging or protruding brush and such. They have a looser fit and use suspenders so there's no binding at the waist or in the legs. Free movement. They are roomy enough for lots of layers underneath as well. In summer I wear a pair of light cotton pants under them and in winter I just add thermals under those. Slip the pats off and I'm still dressed enough to be seen in public.

My winter coat...well...what can I say. It was designed with horse in mind. Sort of a wearable tent. Lmao. Rain, snow, wind etc get cut down to bearable. It hangs to my knees, the long cape sheds water and can be buttoned in the front and the cuffs roll up and can be shook down over my hands when it's really nasty out. Folks weren't dumb back in the day. They knew how to dress for their climate and environment.

I do sew, but just well enough to mend my gear. I ha e a local seamstress do my building for me.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:07 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Given the two choices... I'd have to say uniqueness.
But not in the look-at-me way.

I know what styles and colors look good on me, so I wear those. I do not buy into trends, fads, etc anymore.
This...exactly!

Old 12-04-2013, 10:04 AM

35,702 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Mix it up some traditional, some coo,l some reserved and some chic,,, the when and where is important to me.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Lol..I'm game! Yep, practicality and utility figure in for me as well. When I first started wearing the old stgle clothes I was looking at life from the back of a horse. The wool riding pants are double seated, and the cuffs are cut to tuck into boots so there's nothing loose to snag on rigging or protruding brush and such. They have a looser fit and use suspenders so there's no binding at the waist or in the legs. Free movement. They are roomy enough for lots of layers underneath as well. In summer I wear a pair of light cotton pants under them and in winter I just add thermals under those. Slip the pats off and I'm still dressed enough to be seen in public.

My winter coat...well...what can I say. It was designed with horse in mind. Sort of a wearable tent. Lmao. Rain, snow, wind etc get cut down to bearable. It hangs to my knees, the long cape sheds water and can be buttoned in the front and the cuffs roll up and can be shook down over my hands when it's really nasty out. Folks weren't dumb back in the day. They knew how to dress for their climate and environment.

I do sew, but just well enough to mend my gear. I ha e a local seamstress do my building for me.
Here's a link to a fabulous twill riding skirt (they have several, this one is the most dramatic) from Kaw Valley:
Frontier Classics Black Twill Split Riding Skirt Cowgirl Sass Rodeo | eBay

They have riding slickers as well, lol! Lots of us realize the importance of the function of period clothing (unless you're going full ball gown, which rarely, if ever, happens) as people didn't own things that were'nt of use back then. Everything had at least one purpose, some had several...like a chemise. Clothes were tough but attractive.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Here's a link to a fabulous twill riding skirt (they have several, this one is the most dramatic) from Kaw Valley:
Frontier Classics Black Twill Split Riding Skirt Cowgirl Sass Rodeo | eBay

They have riding slickers as well, lol! Lots of us realize the importance of the function of period clothing (unless you're going full ball gown, which rarely, if ever, happens) as people didn't own things that were'nt of use back then. Everything had at least one purpose, some had several...like a chemise. Clothes were tough but attractive.
That's a pretty snazzy outfit. Lol. An attention getter to be sure.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
That's a pretty snazzy outfit. Lol. An attention getter to be sure.
Especially on the back of a horse! (The skirt is plain black, actually pants but that jacket is something huh?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty