Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 02:13 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times

Advertisements

When they are done correctly, they can look awesome.

Kgreenel, since when do you have extensions?

I dont think the hair falls out right away. But if you keep doing it over a long period of time, of course you will have problems with hair falling out.

There is other possibilities as hair extensions for cancer people. My dad had a wig after his chemo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 03:23 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,271,896 times
Personally I don't care whether someone chooses to wear a weave or not. Whatever their reasons, it's there choice and I see no reason to try to analyze another persons personal decision about something as trivial as hair. That being said because I know women who do wear weaves I do want to address some of the "myths" that are very incorrect.

Myth 1: Weaves will break your hair out.
Truth: weaves alone will not break your hair out. The way the weave is installed, taken out, and how the hair is cared for while wearing a weave are the factors that dictate whether or not someone will become bald from wearing it. I know women who have worn weaves several years, and when they stopped they had a healthy head full of long thick hair. No bald spots or breaking. All of these women got there hair done at professional salons, worked with stylists who were experts at installing and taking out the weave(they did not try to do it themselves). They kept track of their hair noting if when it was taken down there were any issues(like edges seeming thin, etc) they also did not leave any of there real hair out to avoid putting heat on there to blend it. They Also got a "net" which helped protect the hair underneath and cause less pulling and tension. Every three months they would get there ends trimmed and get there deep conditioned and washed.

Myth 2: you cannot grow you hair with weaves
Truth: there are women who use weave as protective hair styling and have effectively grown out there hair to healthy long lengths. There are many forums and youtube videos where this is discussed. My hair stylist wore weaves three years straight and her hair goes to her arm pits. It is healthy and thick as well.

Myth 3: people who wear weaves have issues and are bald underneath.
Truth: some women who mistakenly get weaves when there hair is not healthy enough, or don't enforce proper maintanence and care and get it installed and taken out boot-leg, amongst other things(like getting a relaxer then a weave, leaving part of there hair out and constantly flat ironing it, etc) are the ones that may be bald-headed. My sister wears weaves and her hair falls a little past her shoulders.

Finally a myth unrelated to weaves but to hair care in general:

That everyone can just follow you-tube videos, forums, etc and learn how to properly care for there hair. Truly anyone wanting to learn to take care of there hair and grow it long can do so if they really want to. But it isn't as simple as following youtube videos and forums. What works for one person may not work for the other. We all have different hair and through our own trial and error we will discover what works for our hair. Learning how to grow, retain and maintain healthy long hair may be more difficult for one person versus another. And genes do play a role in length. Hair texture and hair type does as well.

So while some of us can preach about how we were able to grown long healthy hair using certain techniques, we cannot forget that we
That for some it may be a much longer, difficult trial and error. If a person wants to wear a weave then so be it.

Yes some weaves look terrible, some women pay too much money, and others are bald. But none of these things really affect you... Let people do what they want.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:57 PM

452 posts, read 709,496 times
One of my clients has just had a gorgeous weave done, but her natural hair is over 2' long. For her, it's called a "protection weave" which wraps the fragile ends of her natural hair while she's growing it out. Hers isn't sewn in though, it's actually woven into her natural hair.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:59 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
I love that through the natural hair movement so many women have learned to manage, maintain and grow their own healthy hair. Knowledge is power and options are empowering.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:34 PM

101 posts, read 102,233 times
yay to hair weave. I don't feel beautiful without it honestly.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:51 PM

706 posts, read 1,179,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I love that through the natural hair movement so many women have learned to manage, maintain and grow their own healthy hair. Knowledge is power and options are empowering.
This!!

Old 12-17-2013, 11:34 PM

368 posts, read 577,498 times
If you cut your hair to get weave nay but if you actually need it because your hair just grows slow as hell I wouldn't mind.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:30 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,021,495 times
Quote:
yay to hair weave. I don't feel beautiful without it honestly.
Wow. Just wow.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:31 PM

262 posts, read 546,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchamp Dude View Post
What's gonna happen if dudes pull it during sex?

Tell him not to pull it.

No pulling real or fake hair.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:33 PM

262 posts, read 546,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyViolet View Post
Stupid question, I know...but is a weave the same as hair extensions?

Weave is slang.

I'd prefer people to call it by it's formal name, hair extensions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty