Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 08:55 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,520,947 times

Advertisements

I've decided it would be fun to give perfume to the girls on my Christmas list, but I need some suggestions. I'm looking to spend $40-$75 dollars per bottle. Here are the people I'm buying for:

Grandma: 87-years old. Red head. Politically conservative. Very extroverted. Loud. Lives in Jersey. Divorced.

Mom: 56-years old. Earthy hippie. Likes rock music. Liberal. Atheist. Lives in Santa Fe. Divorced.

My sister: 30. Lawyer. Very liberal, but very serious. Lives in a bland West-coast suburb. Neurotically clean. Perpetually single.

My Godmother: 64. High-strung. Workaholic. Chocoholic. Always stressed. Perfect posture. Skinny. Widowed. Moderate Democrat. Practicing Catholic. Lives in Jersey.

Thanks so much in advance for the advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 10:00 PM

706 posts, read 1,180,318 times
Perfume is such a personal, subjective gift. It's hard to give suggestions based only on the info you have provided. There are so many categories of fragrance...you really need to know the types/notes that appeal to them.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:01 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Do you know what kind of perfume they wear? A lot of women as they get older will stick to the same perfume as it has become their signature sent. My grandmother has worn the same perfume for as long as I can remember.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:58 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,520,947 times
Well, my godmother sometimes wears White Diamonds by Liz Taylor, but I thought I'd buy her something new. But the other three wear perfume almost never, though they aren't against the idea of it. And I think it might something fun for the them to have for special occasions.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:00 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Their age and what they like has NOTHING to do with how a perfume will smell on them. Where they live is even more irrelevant!
(As if all divorced atheists in Santa Fe wear the same perfume....)
They need to sample the scents and see which one they personally like.

Save your money! $40 - $75 per bottle is a huge gamble.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:22 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
for one of the older ladies shalimar : My grandmother used to wear that
the other older ladies white shoulders or nina richi
for the younger women one : Romance by ralph lauren my fave
Red door or samsara two of my faves as well .

Old 12-18-2013, 07:13 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I've decided it would be fun to give perfume to the girls on my Christmas list, but I need some suggestions. I'm looking to spend $40-$75 dollars per bottle. Here are the people I'm buying for:

Grandma: 87-years old. Red head. Politically conservative. Very extroverted. Loud. Lives in Jersey. Divorced.

Mom: 56-years old. Earthy hippie. Likes rock music. Liberal. Atheist. Lives in Santa Fe. Divorced.

My sister: 30. Lawyer. Very liberal, but very serious. Lives in a bland West-coast suburb. Neurotically clean. Perpetually single.

My Godmother: 64. High-strung. Workaholic. Chocoholic. Always stressed. Perfect posture. Skinny. Widowed. Moderate Democrat. Practicing Catholic. Lives in Jersey.

Thanks so much in advance for the advice!
Are you sure they even wear perfume? I don't, and I really hate it. I have tons of perfume gifts, some quite expensive, sitting in a box in my closet. I also wish no one else would wear it.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:12 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I agree that perfume likes and dislikes are really personal, and what smells good to one person doesn't suit another at all, and it's really hard to predict what people will like (and some people hate fragrance, period). Your best bet if gifting with perfume is to find out if they wear it, and if so, what they already like, and get a new bottle of that. My dad gets my mom a new bottle of Lancome Tresor every year...it's not a surprise, but it's a tradition.

That said, the idea of predicting a scent for a given personality/archetype seems fun to me in a magazine quiz way, so I'll play. Do not take these as indicators of what you should buy, due to what I mentioned in the above paragraph - find out what they like..but for fun, here are my recommendations based on characteristics provided:

Grandma: Elizabeth Arden Untold

Mom: Patchouli

sister: Philosophy Pure Grace

Godmother: Penhaligon's Elisabethan Rose

Old 12-18-2013, 08:34 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,070 times
if you're really set on this idea - I'd suggest a gift combo set that has several different scents in it. I buy my own perfume this time of year because they offer so many nice packages of smaller size perfumes (esp the purse size roller balls)

Old 12-18-2013, 09:00 AM

699 posts, read 1,015,161 times
Dior's. J'adore
Estée Lauder. Pleasures

Any woman of any age will love either of these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty