Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 07:57 PM

752 posts, read 2,086,640 times

Advertisements

So Christmas (yesterday) I am opening gifts with my husband, parents and brother. We are having a good time with the usual camaraderie but then I open one box and it's got a few bras in it. It is a perfect example of how my mother doesn't listen to me much But I digress on this one... There are about 5 bras in there -two are the good Platex 18 hr brand size 44DD. They look pretty nice. Three are size 52 DD. I NEVER knew bras came in that size-heck, Dolly Parton couldn't wear this one! It all began when mom was asking for my bra size so she could include a few bras with my gifts. I said that I wear a 42 DD. She says "No you cannot wear a 42-that's not possible. Youre too big around" (meaning waist size) I mentioned that my measurements were 51 and 41, respectively. Anyone who has watched Oprah Winfrey religiously as much as she has should not have missed her special episode in which Oprah gives advice to women on proper bra fitting. Oprah says women sometimes need to go down a band size and up a cup size to get a better fit. 42 DD is what I wear. Now why argue about it? So now I am stuck with three ginormous bras which pretty much swallow me ( I think I will wear them to sleep in )

I mean come on , 52DD??? This would be totally hilarious if it weren't sad in the fact that mom doesn't listen to me at times...Moms don't always know best do they??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 08:01 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
I have a friend who could wear those bras and fill them completely.
That size and bigger has been around since women have had tatas.
The only way to know the proper size of bra to wear is to go to a professional bra shop or professional bra fitter and have them measure you. Doing this is more precise and exact than counting on Oprah to know your bra size.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:01 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Safety pins?

Seriously, I can't fathom buying bras as a gift!

Old 12-26-2013, 08:12 PM

I hear Nordstroms has excellent bra fitters Just kind of a shame since one isn't real close to me....

Old 12-27-2013, 06:09 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
My daughter is a DD, she was getting fitted for a bra, and asked the woman about a "push up" bra...the saleswoman looked at her, deadpan, and said, "Honey, they don't make DD bras in a push up.".

Old 12-27-2013, 06:25 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
So Christmas (yesterday) I am opening gifts with my husband, parents and brother. We are having a good time with the usual camaraderie but then I open one box and it's got a few bras in it. It is a perfect example of how my mother doesn't listen to me much But I digress on this one... There are about 5 bras in there -two are the good Platex 18 hr brand size 44DD. They look pretty nice. Three are size 52 DD. I NEVER knew bras came in that size-heck, Dolly Parton couldn't wear this one! It all began when mom was asking for my bra size so she could include a few bras with my gifts. I said that I wear a 42 DD. She says "No you cannot wear a 42-that's not possible. Youre too big around" (meaning waist size) I mentioned that my measurements were 51 and 41, respectively. Anyone who has watched Oprah Winfrey religiously as much as she has should not have missed her special episode in which Oprah gives advice to women on proper bra fitting. Oprah says women sometimes need to go down a band size and up a cup size to get a better fit. 42 DD is what I wear. Now why argue about it? So now I am stuck with three ginormous bras which pretty much swallow me ( I think I will wear them to sleep in )

I mean come on , 52DD??? This would be totally hilarious if it weren't sad in the fact that mom doesn't listen to me at times...Moms don't always know best do they??
Why not just exchange them for a size that fits?

Old 12-27-2013, 07:15 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Wait...your over the bust measurement is 51" and your underbust (ribcage) measurement is 41? That would mean you should be wearing a 40J or 42J, not a DD.

Bra Fitting - How to Measure Bra Size

Regardless, it's not exactly nice to make fun of women who may actually need and wear a 52DD...I'm a 36H and it gets old when people wear my bra as a hat or make fun of my cup size.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:28 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times
What's interesting about this thread is that I can't help thinking of how jealous all of us tiny breasted women were back in middle school when some girls actually needed bras. Now I'm thankful for my B cups, even if the bands have stretched out to an uncommon 36 or 38. I have a friend who I took for a bra fitting a few years ago, and she was shocked to find out she was a 48DD. She had thought she was a 42. Today she's a 34B, after surgery. The docs recommended she go with C, because they told her no one wants to be a B, but she insisted, and she's perfectly happy she did.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:50 AM

42J? I fear that would swallow me....and I don't know where to find this size

Old 12-27-2013, 09:57 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,625 times
Lots of stores have bra fitting services. I usually took about 36C in the US, but in the UK they measure differently. I had a fitting and am a 32FF. Sounds weird to me but it fits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty