Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 02:32 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
"Cute" used to refer to grown women makes me shudder. I associate "cute" with children or adolescents. I never, ever refer to a grown man as "cute."
A lot of people do have that association, but I use "cute" in a non-derogatory manner all the time. ( 'I think Paul Rudd is cute," "that guy over there is cute," etc.) I don't mean like a puppy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 02:35 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
"Cute" used to refer to grown women makes me shudder. I associate "cute" with children or adolescents. I never, ever refer to a grown man as "cute."
Some grown women look like adolescents. That's the effect the "cute" look has on some.
And I do refer to grown men as "cute", if they fit the criteria.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:38 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
Some female comedian (maybe Kathy Griffin?) did a great routine on this.

Something like...

Cute=pretty and short
Exotic=pretty and not white
Striking=pretty with a big nose
Sexy or Hot=pretty and a bit trampy
Attractive=not pretty, but you wouldn't say no to her

Old 01-23-2014, 03:00 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
A lot of people do have that association, but I use "cute" in a non-derogatory manner all the time. ( 'I think Paul Rudd is cute," "that guy over there is cute," etc.) I don't mean like a puppy.
I guess that's how it's always read to me. Cute = fluffy animals and babies. I know youthful, adolescent, looks are seen in a similar way. But when I see an adult who has a youthful appearance, I don't really think "cute."

I can see it being applied to the "fairer sex," but I wonder how it's applied and defined for men. I think Paul Rudd is handsome. Cute has never been part of my vocabulary beyond that of babies, kids and animals. The "girl next door" look, depending on the look, I regard as "pretty," and the same for youthful appearances.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:00 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
I've seen this elsewhere, and now I'm curious how posters here define the different levels of attractiveness. Free mentioned he uses "hot" to refer to someone's overall being/self.

Attractive
Cute
Pretty
Beautiful
Gorgeous
Stunning
Hot/smokin'
Sexy
you forgot

"wow"
and
"deifinitely" (do-able)

and
"id pay for that"

and

"i bet she can cook"

Old 01-23-2014, 06:47 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,777,702 times
Quote:
I've seen this elsewhere, and now I'm curious how posters here define the different levels of attractiveness. Free mentioned he uses "hot" to refer to someone's overall being/self.

Attractive
Cute
Pretty
Beautiful
Gorgeous
Stunning
Hot/smokin'
Sexy
For me, the simple definition of every last one of those words is my wife's name.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:39 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,458,844 times
Quote:

Attractive
Cute
Pretty
Beautiful
Gorgeous
Stunning
Hot/smokin'
Sexy
Ok. These are a spectrum of descriptions which will vary according to each individuals level of preferences. Here are mine with a few extra - these threads are so fun!

Attractive: someone who does the best with what they have and accentuates their natural features without drawing undo attention to any one feature. It coincides with personal grooming, hygiene, and life style choices (health consciousness toward what they eat and their individual levels of activity to keep themselves at their best). I'd say 40-60 percent of population can readily be so with concerted effort.

Cute: this is usually in reference to someone with child like features of either gender (cherub cheeks, soft rounder facial features, overall diminutive size) a pleasant demeanor and childlike countenance coincides with this to fill out the visual. As another mentioned, this is often associated with girl/ boy next door sort of clean cut connotations. (See grooming, personal hygiene above)

Pretty: usually I associate this with two dimensional beauty, looks good statically (photographs well), has an overall agreed upon level of facial complementary features (good symmetry). The beauty queen type, which can sometimes coincide with being a snide complement (as not too intelligent) or gives off a superficial ditzy-ness, i.e she's pretty but one doesn't feel compelled to pursue - just nice to look at.

Beautiful: natural beauty, generally fulfilling most standards (Golden Ratio symmetry / hip waist ratios etc...) the kind of beauty that can shine through dressed up or not. Connotes reflections of personality, intellect, physical behavior (countenance / demeanor / comportment / deportment) mental acuity and grounded-ness. Doesn't draw undo attention to herself, rather radiates softness from within. In form, I think of the Caryatid Porticos of women as pillars in Greco-Roman architecture.

Gorgeous: beautiful but with a sense of distance. I .E. one can better admire from afar much like the natural beauty of the grand canyon is best seen overall from a distance. Coincides with a slight perception of - you can look but don't approach / touch 'vibe'. Often causes accidents such as men walking into light poles, falling / tripping due to being distracted.

Stunning: I think of artistic wonder. Someone with indelibly noticeable proportion with perhaps an outlier exceptional feature that stands out (carriage, bearing, legs, hips, breasts, facial-eyes , lips) - perhaps one slightly different. Perhaps on a grander overall scale, tall and statuesque; Amazonian like. Causes same sort of reaction in men as mentioned above.

Hot/Smoking: I consider this a lower base appeal. Generally someone who attracts by over accentuating physical features (a woman in push up w cleavage on display, skimpy attire) with lots of flesh on display to ogle. Thus, deriving the smoking hot bio physiological response but not necessarily connoting much else. Coincide with 'do-able' type perception appealing to primal urge. One of few that grooming and personal hygiene may not by seen as a component - can be dirty unkempt. I conjure up image of the girl washing the car scene in Cool Hand Luke as the men in chain gang ogle.

Car Wash scene from Cool Hand Luke - YouTube

Sexy: from attractive to beautiful but with stronger connotation of intangible inner qualities that shine outward. It can be physical (from bedroom eyes to statuesque fluid comportment / deportment) to aural (great voice) to inherent personality traits that are consistently displayed (strong inner confidence).

A few others to expand

Exotic: Stunning but with a few more non conventional features be they (color, complexion) facial features that are sort of outliers (think Uma Thurman eye spacing, Zoe Saldana)

Exquisite: the natural who consistently is attractive and gives off a sense of rarity. Like a stunner this may include a feature or two which are exceptionally noticeable at first glance. (radiant gleaming eyes, a bounce energy to their walk that tugs at one. A gem you would like to hold and cherish. Coincides with a desire for proximity:cuddle, nuzzle, snuggle, spoon, stroke etc...

Ravishing (my personal favorite) ; the top end for one's personal desire meter. They may provoke all manner of pleasant associations. Usually associated with formal attire and fully made up to optimum showing of all features (but not necessary). I associate with the mannerisms that one may find intoxicating (a playful knowing look, winsome smiles, sultriness) - she's 'sexy and she knows it' but she doesn't have to 'put her physical assets' on full display because she knows they can't be hidden and she's comfortable in her skin and appreciates admiring looks.

Classy but with an underlying natural insouciant sexiness one can not hide. Beauty and Sexiness combined - when one sees them, one immediately feels the urge to merge and 'be one'. Conjures up thoughts of someone you'd like to bathe, towel off, be their 'personal masseuse' and then make sweet all consuming love to them, and wake up with the bed covers every which way and entwined and nested together. Makes on recall poetry "dash me with amorous wet, I can repay you" a la Walt Whitman. or Biblical Song of Solomon "and be thou always ravished with my love"

Last edited by ciceropolo; 01-23-2014 at 10:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty