Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 01:30 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times

Advertisements

I know some people will say I'm too conservative. But I think tatoos are trashy. I don't see what is attractive about having colored ink on ones skin. Not to mention the fact that people complain about not having money, yet they're blowing it on tatoos, piercings and other nonsense.

I also tend to think that people who get tattoos, especially those who have a lot of them, have something that's a little off about them emotionally.

Does anyone else, agree? Disagree? I'm sure the people who have tatoos will disagree and most of those who agree won't have them.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:32 PM

18,466 posts, read 31,624,300 times
Don't agree with you, I love all three of my tatts, and would not change them for the world.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:36 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
I personally don't have any but they don't bother me on other people....Some are "trashy" and some are beautiful....I could say the same for clothing, hairstyles, cars, homes...As long as it's working for the person it's on....it really doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:37 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,969,505 times
I read an article regarding people who get more than 8 tattoos tend to become criminals. I kinda tend to agree with that. I think I only have 1 friend that has near 8 tattoos and she is a complete mess. Shes 24 living like she is still 18.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:37 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
I agree with the OP. Trends are cyclical and this one will pass too....just like the "show the world my thong" and "pierce my belly button" have become irrelevant.

There will always be some people who want tattoos (or to have their belly button pierced or show the world their thong, etc.) but the mainstream will be on to the next big thing. Are there even any tattoo tv shows left? I think they have all been cancelled.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:38 PM

10,210 posts, read 17,864,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I also tend to think that people who get tattoos, especially those who have a lot of them, have something that's a little off about them emotionally.
I admit I have a tattoo. You're entitled to your opinion, some people think tattoos are trashy and it doesn't bother me but I have to disagree with the above. I know plenty of grounded and level headed people who have tattoos. You don't have to be emotionally "off" to like or have tattoos. They've been around for as long as ink has been around I think.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:51 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I know some people will say I'm too conservative. But I think tatoos are trashy. I don't see what is attractive about having colored ink on ones skin. Not to mention the fact that people complain about not having money, yet they're blowing it on tatoos, piercings and other nonsense.

Does anyone else, agree? Disagree? I'm sure the people who have tatoos will disagree and most of those who agree won't have them.
Wishing for tattoos to go out of style is like wishing for a pot of gold to fall out of the sky. There is a huge chance it's not gonna happen.

As for me, I don't have any, but I'm not concerned with what other people are doing. I have WAY too much on my plate for that. I know several people with tattoos and am glad to call them friends. They are hardly what I would call "emotionally off". Additionally, I have my own harmless vices that give me pleasure.

I simply live and let live. Maybe you should do the same.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:52 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,620,823 times
Tattoos will never 'go out of style'...considering they've been around basically since mankind started.

I think a big part of it is a distinction between 'good' tattoos and 'bad' tattoos. I'm fairly heavily tattooed (one full sleeve, one half sleeve and a backpiece that is currently being worked on) and I spend a lot of time, energy and money on my tattoos. I hate being put in the same category as Britney who got a dolphin tattoo on her ankle on Spring Break in 2006.... but alas, it will happen.

My tattoos have been featured in magazines, on tv and have won multiple awards at conventions so I'm pretty happy with them I'm also college educated, employed and I don't do drugs (unless you count caffeine as a drug ) and rarely drink. I just happen to like body art. In fact, we had a girl start working where I work a few months ago and she didn't even know I had any tattoos until last week when I wore a short sleeved shirt to work I don't get tattoos to 'show off', I get them because I like them.

As for something 'being wrong' with me emotionally, I have a fabulous family life (very close to my parents and siblings, who also happen to have tattoos), plenty of friends, a great job and have been in a long term relationship with my boyfriend (who doesn't have any tattoos and doesn't plan on getting any) for many years.

I just don't see tattoos as a big issue... if you judge someone as unworthy just because of a few tattoos, then you might be missing on on getting to know a great person.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:59 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,695,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I read an article regarding people who get more than 8 tattoos tend to become criminals. I kinda tend to agree with that. I think I only have 1 friend that has near 8 tattoos and she is a complete mess. Shes 24 living like she is still 18.

I read an article once that people who think tattoos are trash tend to have sticks up their backsides. People like that are complete hoses

Old 03-31-2010, 02:01 PM

42 posts, read 76,424 times
Tacky tattoos should go out of style. If they are tasteful and meaningful, I think that they are very nice.

Like, if you're going to get a Super Mario Mushroom tattoo'd on the back of your hand, I would advise against that, but my mom's best friend recently got a tattoo with both of her sons' names on ribbons across two hearts just below her shoulder blade, VERY nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty