Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2014, 07:53 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,432,281 times

Advertisements

This reminds me of the Publix/Winn-Dixie thing in Florida

Old 02-02-2014, 08:31 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,590,725 times
I have heard that Target is more stylish than Wal-Mart. For the prices, though, I think one would better shopping at a Sears or a Forever 21. Plus, it depends on what you are getting. Accessories look good, even if they are from Wal-Mart.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:56 AM

23,621 posts, read 24,171,106 times
Walmart and Target cater to shoppers of different demographics.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:06 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,077,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Oh no, there is a definite difference between the two. Maybe a bare-bones Chevy pickup (WM) against a Ford Super Crew Lariat edition (Target).

They both may be pickup trucks that will get you from point A to point B, but these models are at opposite ends of the spectrum as far as desirability and wanting to be seen in one!
I have to wonder where some of the Negative Nellies live when they claim that nothing except slobs shop at Wal Mart. We have numerous Super Wal Marts and Target stores in the area - and shoppers in any of those stores all look the same (definitely not slobs!).

Old 02-02-2014, 11:37 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,262,412 times
Walmart is about 7 times the market cap of Target. Walmart obviously has a different business model and market niche than Target.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:58 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,963,361 times
Target is where all the "cool kids" go to shop. Designer like goods but some of the same as Walmart. Checkers in my area are mostly white young people with a sprinkling of older folk. Walmart get people from a lower rung. Retirees, ethnics, people of color, etc. and the checkers are people of color largely or recent immigrants. These stores I am describing are very close to one another so its not local demographics. Also Costco attracts the "cool kids" too. By cool kids I mean adults who view themselves as upper middle class and too classy to shop at Walmart. Some also stay away because they believe Walmart mistreats workers. I dunno I've read the stuff but I can't believe their policies and pay are all that much different than Target or K Mart.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:11 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,009,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Target is where all the "cool kids" go to shop. Designer like goods but some of the same as Walmart. Checkers in my area are mostly white young people with a sprinkling of older folk. Walmart get people from a lower rung. Retirees, ethnics, people of color, etc. and the checkers are people of color largely or recent immigrants. These stores I am describing are very close to one another so its not local demographics. Also Costco attracts the "cool kids" too. By cool kids I mean adults who view themselves as upper middle class and too classy to shop at Walmart. Some also stay away because they believe Walmart mistreats workers. I dunno I've read the stuff but I can't believe their policies and pay are all that much different than Target or K Mart.
I can agree with this.

My salary would make me "middle-middle" class (engaged with no kids)...combined with my fiancée, we're probably halfway between middle-middle and upper middle.

Personally, Walmart just feels more chaotic even if the demographics are similar. Everyone talks about WM being cheaper, but it really isn't. If you eat hot dogs, chips, cookies and ramen noodles, they are cheaper than Target (based on the stores in my area). If you prefer fruits, veggies, lean meats etc., WM is typically the same price or a tad higher but with lower quality products. When I look in the shopping carts of WM shoppers, I shake my head. The people will have $200 worth of food and most of it is garbage. At Target, you'll see a mixture, but most people will have healthier food mixed in with a couple of snacks, maybe some ice cream. I actually see quite a few retirees at both stores.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:16 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,082,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I have to wonder where some of the Negative Nellies live when they claim that nothing except slobs shop at Wal Mart. We have numerous Super Wal Marts and Target stores in the area - and shoppers in any of those stores all look the same (definitely not slobs!).
That's the way it is where I live too.....you see the same type of shoppers in both stores and they certainly don't fit the stereotype.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:48 PM

28,697 posts, read 18,870,464 times
The major differences are superficial--mostly marketing. Prices don't differ much, quality of most merchandise doesn't differ much. Target tends a more to fashionable clothing, Wal-Mart offers much more in the way of ethnic products.

But their marketing (which includes the store decor) is clearly different, as some others have already mentioned. Target has since at least the early 70s tried to maintain an image of stylishness. Wal-Mart from its beginnings has pushed its low prices. The differences in marketing--not so much product--has drawn different (but overlapping) clientele.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:36 PM

50 posts, read 58,479 times
Ahhh, the elites snobby attitudes are coming in strongly.

I'm sorry to inform y'all of this, but cheap Chinese products are the same no matter where you go, whether it's Target, Walmart, Wegmans, Publix, etc. It's all the same.

I've also never noticed that people at Walmart dress any different than they do at Target. I think the elites are just trying to find something else to bash to make themselves feel better. I personally have never had any problems at Wal-Mart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty