Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2014, 04:03 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,151,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I beg to differ about their merchandise, Target has much better quality, we rarely, if ever shop at Walmart now. I find clothes I buy at Target last longer and are much better quality than walmart, sure I can get a shirt for $3 at Walmart, but one use and it falls apart, whereas at Target I will sped $20 for a shirt but it lasts for years
Target's stuff is definitely more fashionable than Walmart. Michael Graves and Isaac Mizrahi have designed items for them. Target is giving off a more modern, cool, Ikea-ish vibe.

I love some of their items for the home, and their organizing products.

There is a new clothing collection by Peter Pilotto:

Peter Pilotto Designers Discuss Target Collection, Sandra Bullock

I do think much of Target's clothes are overpriced for the quality, so I rarely buy clothes there. The styles are far more stylish than Walmart, however.

I hate to say this, most of Walmart's clothes seem to be designed for people who are rather large. Once or twice a year I will go to Walmart to buy $5 sweatpants in a size small (which is hard to find, they don't carry a lot of small sizes) that I can wear when I'm cleaning my home. I have to dig through the bins for quite a while to find a small size.

Otherwise, I almost never go to Walmart. There just aren't that many in New Jersey, anyway. However, I will probably be moving to Pennsylvania in a few years, and they have Walmarts everywhere, including ones that are open 24 hours. It's very interesting to see the Amish carriages parked outside Walmart.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:06 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Leave it to you, I was going to say all the ghetto fab people I ever heard talk about the store called it, it Trage', which I was going to spell it Tarje' though. I've always found their clothing to be of sub par quality, but I don't know, seems a lot of people think like the clothing as per this thread.

Walmart nor Target are places I think of shopping for fashionable clothing, but if I'm looking for a deal on paper goods, and grocery, which ever has the best deal works for me. In my area you will same people shop at both places. From the whole food, trader joe customers to the Dillard's customers. Not a big deal around these parts, except for a minute number of people. There was a time, I had no idea what a Walmart was, think I late 30's when I first stepped foot in one, some worse than others, but the ones over here not so bad and not butt crack views.
>

I buy everyday clothes from Target. The stuff is on the sub-par side IMO, but works for knocking around the house and such.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:12 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,001,526 times
I had to write a 30 page financial report on Target, comparing it to Walmart and Costco (in college). While not always true, Target shoppers are typically better educated and wealthier.

Target: I typically see young to middle age women with small children. They usually just came from a spinning/zumba class and are reasonably attractive. Not "hot" per se but definitely the kind of women you'd marry. They're usually driving smart cars or Lexus RX 350's.

Walmart: Diverse. There are young women that look like Target shoppers, but most are either college students or young adults that have already started families (often without a supportive man). A much broader range as some have video vixen "coke bottle" bodies while others have never seen the inside of a gym.

THESE GENERALIZATIONS ARE ONLY MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCES AND CAN EASILY BE APPLIED TO MEN.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:16 PM

I forgot to mention that I have a "regular" Target, a super Target and a Walmart all within a 1.5 mile radius...which makes the differences all the more confounding.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:24 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
The Walmart clientele base where I am is more culturally diverse than the Target on the next block, due to the fact that the Walmart offers ethnic groceries and Target does not.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:29 PM

Also, Wal-Mart's low prices only apply to crap. Take food for instance, if you eat fresh produce, milk, etc., you'll pay just as much as any other place. Wal-Mart's advantage is on processed food like cookies and chips.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:25 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Leave it to you, I was going to say all the ghetto fab people I ever heard talk about the store called it, it Trage', which I was going to spell it Tarje' though. I've always found their clothing to be of sub par quality, but I don't know, seems a lot of people think like the clothing as per this thread.

Walmart nor Target are places I think of shopping for fashionable clothing, but if I'm looking for a deal on paper goods, and grocery, which ever has the best deal works for me. In my area you will same people shop at both places. From the whole food, trader joe customers to the Dillard's customers. Not a big deal around these parts, except for a minute number of people. There was a time, I had no idea what a Walmart was, think I late 30's when I first stepped foot in one, some worse than others, but the ones over here not so bad and not butt crack views.

The funny thing is, I find that target t shirts and basics last longer than the comparables from gap, old navy, and even banana republic. I have cardigans that have held up better than ones I got at banana for 3x the price. Tge metro a t shirts and tanks are great and they hod their shape and color really well.

I definitely get the special collection stuff. Target quality is comparable to all of the mass market stuff we have these days. Sadly there isn't a difference in quality from old navy up to macys. It all sucks.

But since target has lots if cute stuff and special stuff, the average sale ...of profitable items for the retailer is really high. It is easy to go into target for toilet paper and leave with a dress.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:28 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I definitely find the clothing quality at Target to be inconsistent, but it's pretty endemic. Most mass-produced retail textiles are of shoddy, disposable quality. It all tends to be crap.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:35 PM

559 posts, read 1,395,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Also, Wal-Mart's low prices only apply to crap. Take food for instance, if you eat fresh produce, milk, etc., you'll pay just as much as any other place. Wal-Mart's advantage is on processed food like cookies and chips.
That's an interesting observation. I thought of something else that costs less at Target, besides the yogurt I mentioned above. Last time I went shopping a dozen eggs were $1.59 at Target and $1.98 at the Walmart down the street.

Something that I appreciate about Target is that they give you 5 cents off your purchase if you bring a reusable bag.

I've had bad luck with some of the clothing at both stores. Buttons fell off of jeans I bought at Walmart and pants I bought at Target.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:39 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Out local Target has awful clothing, very little to choose from.....and....... it smells funny.

Anyone remember Grants department stores of the 60's and 70's?

THAT is what our local Target reminds me of. Same smell too. ICK.

Out local Walmart is MUCH nicer.....all the way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.