Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2014, 02:32 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,472,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Actually those videos look pretty tame for Black Friday. I'd say the videos hold pretty well for Target shoppers. Except for some type of altercation or shoving match in the first video that ended up with a few people on the ground, everybody else is pretty well behaved. I hate to think about what would have happened if that had been a Walmart.
Oh there's worse ones, I just know if I show them, what exactly will come out people's mouths.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:40 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,875,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
There's no other store that sells enemas as cheap as Walmart, I know, I've checked every store in my area and online. I've even talk to the Walmart customer service people to ask if they would put their associate brand on line, no luck, still have to head out to their store for that. So when I'm feeling constipated and need the quickest relief, Walmart stores are most certainly my #! choice. Seems to be a whole lot of constipation going on so = Walmart isle 3 = a little helpful hint from a caring citizen.

I thought i was anal about doing price comparisons on products. You have me beat.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:40 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,987,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Walmart sells on the impression that they're cheaper but in reality they aren't. Most folks you see at Walmart aren't the type that shop or compare prices online.

Look at the craziness of Black Fridays at Walmart, most of those low-lifes are there for the cheap junk that I threw away years ago.

You checkout at Walmart, the lines are long because so many folks there are paying cash or using a debit instead of credit. That's evident that most people that shop there cannot get credit.
Well aren't you special. But seriously, I can't tell if you're joking. I hope you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Not sooo long ago we had regional chain stores in the area, about seven of them, where there were no divisions between working class, middle class, or whatever, they were just stores to buy things and they all carried different brands so you just shopped around for what you needed. There have always been upscale boutique stores for the wealthier or for special purchases, but as far as typical stores that carry a little of everything, no silly divisions based on class.

This is just ridiculous with the T vs. W classism. And Target has lower quality merchandise than any of the former regional stores where the working class and poor also shopped. Of course most of that stuff was made in USA or Japan. Before that, my parents who were not wealthy at all shopped in beautiful local and regional stores and were waited on hand and foot. So to consider that Target is so classy, it is just a crack-up, and also sad as to what our standards have become. Target is what the regional stores were in their descent period being consumed by national chains, some of which also went out of business. Walmart was better when they came in and took over, then went even more down hill. Walmart is below what the five and dime used to be. Target vs. Walmart is like junkyard vs. dump.
I pretty much completely agree with you.

I definitely don't like the division of the common people. It's a shame that half of commoners need to stand on the rest to feel like they're somebody, and that they resort to such petty means. It seems like people used to be more humble and have more actual class. People used to be more united and less socioeconomically segregated. I'm only 27 and I've seen these changes for the worse myself, just as I've seen all the smaller and/or regional stores go away and the giants take over, whether it be Target and Walmart, or Walgreen's and CVS, or Lowe's and Home Depot. Where I live we had regional Venture stores (similar to Target or Kmart), TG&Y, and Woolworth, all of which are gone now, along with regional Osco Drug which was bought out by CVS. Kmart's close to being gone. Now the non-local and national chains are making inroads on taking over the grocery market that otherwise has always been local.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:50 PM

9,520 posts, read 9,836,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
Target and Walmart don't have the same merchandise.
Of course they do, name brands for instance. Consumerist.com recently ran a story that said for health and beauty products (name brand and store brand), Walmart had the lowest prices, Target was next by only 3% more.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:04 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,472,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I thought i was anal about doing price comparisons on products. You have me beat.

Why thank you. LOL.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:15 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,518,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Because Target cultivates a more upscale customer who likes designer brands and good quality items at discounted prices, while Walmart promotes lowest price.

And yes, I have observed the same, big time.

THIS ^^^^^^^. Target clothes are frequently decent knockoffs of several good stores that I patronize. Specifically, Ann Taylor Loft, and Banana Republic.

They specifically court women who are college educated (or college educated types) who desire quality clothes at a moderate price. Target is not inexpensive.

Walmart is obviously very popular with some folks. I don't know of anyone who goes there specifically for clothes though. They do sell to people who don't care much about what they wear. They pick it up with the dog food and lawn fertilizer.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:15 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,061,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
THIS ^^^^^^^. Target clothes are frequently decent knockoffs of several good stores that I patronize. Specifically, Ann Taylor Loft, and Banana Republic.

They specifically court women who are college educated (or college educated types) who desire quality clothes at a moderate price. Target is not inexpensive.

Walmart is obviously very popular with some folks. I don't know of anyone who goes there specifically for clothes though. They do sell to people who don't care much about what they wear. They pick it up with the dog food and lawn fertilizer.
Stop right there.

There is nothing wrong with buying clothes at Walmart.....it all depends on what you are looking for.

I have bought jeans, tops, underwear, night clothes at Walmart that looked just as nice as something you would find at a higher end store. Made just as well too. Suits, dresses, dress clothes in general, I go to the higher end stores.

When I was in high school I learned the smart thing to do is to check out the "cheaper" stores first and then work your way up. I can't count the number of times I have found a diamond in the rough.

I specifically remember looking for a winter coat when I was about 18. I found the exact same coat at Hills for $15 less than what it was selling for at Strouss. I guess I should have bought it at Strouss so I could brag that I would never set foot in Hills.

I have never been a label shopper.....I don't care who made it or what it costs.....I care about the style and how it looks on me.

For example, if I happen to find a pair of jeans at Walmart that fit me perfectly and flatter my figure I will buy them over an expensive pair of jeans with an "in" label that don't.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:06 PM

50 posts, read 58,421 times
Walmart bashers be like..."This box of tide I bought at Target is far, far, FAR superior than the exact same box of Tide you got at that horrid Walmart."

Old 02-10-2014, 05:10 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,875,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoleaveFL View Post
Walmart bashers be like..."This box of tide I bought at Target is far, far, FAR superior than the exact same box of Tide you got at that horrid Walmart."
Be like?

Old 02-10-2014, 05:13 PM

28,685 posts, read 18,820,138 times
Originally Posted by TRosa
There's no other store that sells enemas as cheap as Walmart, I know, I've checked every store in my area and online. I've even talk to the Walmart customer service people to ask if they would put their associate brand on line, no luck, still have to head out to their store for that. So when I'm feeling constipated and need the quickest relief, Walmart stores are most certainly my #! choice. Seems to be a whole lot of constipation going on so = Walmart isle 3 = a little helpful hint from a caring citizen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Ba-da-boom!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.