Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 05:23 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,412,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post

Ever look around Target and Walmart? They have the same merchandise but IN GENERAL the people and the clothes they wear look completely different.

Shoppers at Target are more attractive and fashionable and Walmart..... I think this website says it all:

Funny Pictures at WalMart People Of Walmart Funny Pictures of People Shopping at Walmart
I don't think they same the exact same merchandise. Target partners with a lot of upscale designers.

Target won't even build a store in an area unless it's above average in household income.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:24 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,263,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinglyme22 View Post
I noticed the same thing. Its pretty much the same thing where they advertise it sells the merchandise for lowest price but there are some differences (basically how they promote, advertise, culture of store, etc).

The only thing I can think of is that Walmart promotes itself as the lowest price anywhere, so it brings out the weird people, people who just roll out of bed and want to keep their pj bottoms on while doing errands, people with weird fashion choices, who look like they need the lowest prices, have weird clothing choices, etc.

But, Target stays classy and may be slightly more (like $1-2 more) with also better clothing than Walmart (who sells clothes where its obvious its cheaper than Target). Target has clothing thats trendy for good price. Etc along those lines.

I agree with you on all your points.

I never see any clothes at Walmart that I would buy, but Target carries some decent clothes especially for kids. I picked up a pretty cute bikini for myself at Target 2 weeks ago.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:41 PM

427 posts, read 440,806 times
My opinion, it all has to do with location of these stores. Some Walmart as well as some Target stores are fine in safer areas. As with all things, be cognizant of your surroundings.

Last edited by PeteyC; 02-21-2017 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 02-21-2017, 06:26 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,467,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I don't think they same the exact same merchandise. Target partners with a lot of upscale designers.

Target won't even build a store in an area unless it's above average in household income.

Then that settles what some are saying about same clientele for the most part, most areas I've known Target to be in, Walmart was within a few or less miles of. Personally, the people I know, friends, family are diverse in style, careers and income they all shop in both including stores like Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and even thrift stores. It's ignorant to classify one group as shopping solely at one or the other, people are as varied in their thinking as to why or what they shop for at these stores. Personally, the only clothing I would shop for at either of those stores is something to sleep in, under garments things maybe to putter around in the dirt.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:24 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,865,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I avoid both Target and Walmart. Can't remember the last time I was in either, but then I probably blocked the memory out of my head.
Where do you get things like light bulbs, a broom, charcoal then? Those items are so cheap at wal-mart it's hard not to go.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:19 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,125,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Because Target cultivates a more upscale customer who likes designer brands and good quality items at discounted prices, while Walmart promotes lowest price.

And yes, I have observed the same, big time.
Their stuff looks cute ( Target) but can't handle a single wash. Marshall's and Ross are your friend.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:26 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,125,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Where do you get things like light bulbs, a broom, charcoal then? Those items are so cheap at wal-mart it's hard not to go.
Not for me. That joint gives me a panic attack. Seventeen Hispanic kids running down the aisle, an old fat man boinking everyone on the head with the broom he just put in his basket on the rolly cart thing. Angry fat women ( my sister's mother-in-law)

I go to Dollar Tree if I need cheap Chinese plastic stuff.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:34 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,400,511 times
Quote:
I'm a walmart shopper but I usually go to Lowe's for that. I spend a lot of time at Lowe's, lol.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:04 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,423,398 times
I do shop at both, and have occasionally bought clothing items at Wal mart but definitely prefer Target. I don't find their clothing poor quality either. For the most part, pretty decent. ( I have a black skirt that I have worn to death and it still is holding up which I bought over 10 years ago. that's extreme but it's true. Merona brand).

Old 02-22-2017, 03:41 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
I get them usually at the grocery store or at Bed Bath and Beyond. Our BBB has a huge section of household goods as well as things you usually find in a drug store.

We also have a new, very spiffy (believe it or not) Family Dollar store not all that far from me - it's tons smaller than WalMart but has many of the same types of merchandise, has wider aisles, is much cleaner, and has all sorts of household cleaners and supplies. If I don't pick this stuff up at the grocery store then I usually pick it up at Family Dollar.

I don't buy things like towels, furniture, accessories, sheets, that sort of stuff at Target, WalMart, OR any sort of dollar store. We buy our pet supplies and most garden stuff at Atwoods or Tractor Supply. We buy our groceries at a locally owned grocery store or Natural Grocers or the farmers' market. Towels, sheets, linens, etc I buy at other retailers that frankly are higher end than WalMart or Target.

I buy most spices, teas, and oils either at a health food store on from Amazon.

So there you have it. Really - no need to ever darken the doors of either Target or WalMart for me - so I don't. My husband and I will actually go to great lengths to avoid shopping at WalMart - as we say, "We'd rather stick a hot poker in our eye than go in there."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.